Big slug for a Rail Gun

Started by arajca, December 25, 2010, 02:45:44 PM

arajca

The US Navy tests aother use for the rail gun.

Science Faction

(video clip at bottom of page)

HGjunkie

Magnets how do they work?!?!?

:P

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Major Lord

I think they are confusing two different animals here. The Rail Gun is a Homopolar motor that works by passing an enormous current across a pair of rails connected by a projectile ( or sabot, since it has to conduct electricity). I don't know for sure, but I think that the Aircraft launcher is a much more common device, a coil gun, a type of motor using electromagnets.

Major Lord
p.s. Magnets work by magic!
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Al Sayre

The aircraft launcher works like a mag-lev train.  Basically, a long electric motor with it's stator laid out on a track, and the rotor attached to the shuttle.  As the current passes through the coils of the motor, they change polarity, pushing and pulling the shuttle (rotor) along the track.  Speed is controlled by increasing or decreasing the frequency of the alternating current, power is controlled by varying the voltage and/or current available.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Senior

Linear motor.  They have the ability for precision positioning and movement.  Also used in precision assembly, medical operations.
I have articles about the Navy wanting to use this idea for years.
Looks good so far. :clap:

SarDragon

"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" comes to life. It's a 1966 science fiction novel by American writer Robert A. Heinlein.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap801