Flight/flying music

Started by AngelWings, December 19, 2010, 10:15:02 PM

AngelWings

I'm sure all of us have a song that just keeps playing over and over when you fly. Even though I've only been in the air 3 times in my life, I always have a song or two that plays when I fly. Also, the way the flight goes and where I am changes the song.
General flight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BobN5pZsOf4  =Breaking Benjamin-Ladybug
Over-cast/other than sunny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci6H78jKYv0  = Creed-Hide
Blackhawk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJsoquu70o  =Puddle Of Mud-Blurry
Watching fighters at airshows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ymgYMRbZ0  =Breaking Benjamin-Breakdown

For me flying is intertwined with music and emotions.

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

Heh - beat me to it.

I'm trying to figure out how someone who has only flown three times has the where-with-all to hook up some kind of music system in the plane.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Quote from: Eclipse on December 19, 2010, 10:30:13 PM
Heh - beat me to it.

I'm trying to figure out how someone who has only flown three times has the where-with-all to hook up some kind of music system in the plane.
I gathered that he meant it was what popped into his head and played on his Brain System whilst flying.

Otherwise I would think that music+flying=unsafe and would have said so.

AngelWings

Hahahahahahaha, ROFL. I meant that I thought it. I don't even own or rent an aircraft, nor can even fly. It is songs that popped into my head.
Iron eagle clips are funny. I'd never fly a plane with music blarring in the cockpit.

davidsinn

Quote from: DakRadz on December 19, 2010, 10:31:30 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 19, 2010, 10:30:13 PM
Heh - beat me to it.

I gathered that he meant it was what popped into his head and played on his Brain System whilst flying.

Otherwise I would think that music+flying=unsafe and would have said so.

Actually mp3 hookups for the intercom in GA are quite popular right now. Most cutout the music if the radio squawks.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

Quote from: davidsinn on December 19, 2010, 10:48:28 PMActually mp3 hookups for the intercom in GA are quite popular right now. Most cutout the music if the radio squawks.
At least thats the plan, unless something goes wrong. :)
Over Kansas, I keyed up to ask for a momentary frequency change, for a FSS WX check. The response I got back was "Weird Al Yankovic isn't in my sector.. check your connections".

Don't know what happened to the box, but yanking the source audio and testing it later on the ground at the next stop didn't reveal any anomalies, nor did any further controller say anything. So..

DakRadz

Quote from: a2capt on December 19, 2010, 11:33:29 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on December 19, 2010, 10:48:28 PMActually mp3 hookups for the intercom in GA are quite popular right now. Most cutout the music if the radio squawks.
At least thats the plan, unless something goes wrong. :)
Over Kansas, I keyed up to ask for a momentary frequency change, for a FSS WX check. The response I got back was "Weird Al Yankovic isn't in my sector.. check your connections".

Don't know what happened to the box, but yanking the source audio and testing it later on the ground at the next stop didn't reveal any anomalies, nor did any further controller say anything. So..
Heh. a2capt, you are my hero. Weird Al AND you proved me right ;D

This is just my personal opinion, though. And my reasoning was that other than keeping me awake on long trips and personal enjoyment, I don't listen to music in the car- if it is icy or dangerous (yes, GAWG gets icy- I fishtailed last week going 20mph!) I turn everything off and apply the flying technique and "just drive the truck."

In a plane, if I'm feeling sleepy enough to need music to stay awake, then there's a problem IMO... And I'd rather focus on flying and watching everything than listen to music- plus I have a pretty good memory and do like Littleguy, sing/think the song to myself.

AngelWings

Nobody here actually has real interest in music while flying, do they!?! Atleast the conversation is interesting enough.

HGjunkie

Lol. My brain is like my own personal mp3 player. I can pretty much remember any song I want to listen to and think of it.  :D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Al Sayre

You should see a psychologist about that...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

EMT-83

Quote from: Littleguy on December 20, 2010, 01:29:14 AM
Nobody here actually has real interest in music while flying, do they!?! Atleast the conversation is interesting enough.
Why do you think there's XM in the planes?

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

a2capt

Actually, there's a lot of "nothing" time with regards to flying across the vast west and central states. Nothing wrong with music playing. I, too have the 'issue' with being able to provide my own mental jukebox, who needs an iPod? ;-)

But there's times when just having something going is more than "keeping you awake".  It can add to the experience. My rules generally dictate that for the last 25 miles or so, or under 3,500 ft. I won't have it on, especially if I'm using ATC services.  On departure, until 10-15 km from the uncontrolled field, and never more than half the com/nav radio volume as tested by breaking the squelch and periodically tuning VORs, ASOS/AWOS/ATIS transmissions if ATC isn't talking occasionally.

Flying requires vigilance, not silence. Generally, if sterile cockpit is appropriate for that phase of the flight, there's no music on. Otherwise, even the ADF on a strong signal can provide background.

Thrashed

I've just put the small ear phone headsets under my David Clarks to listen to music.  No problem. 

A long time ago, when I was flying 6-8 hours a day in a C172, I listened to Led Zep to keep me going.  Just keep the music down lower than ATC and its not a problem (I was in class B & C most of the time).

I've also flown aircraft with the radio/CD player built into the audio system and it cut the music out when the aircraft radios were used.

I even flew a plane where someone mounted a TV in the panel and hooked up a Movie camera/VCR to watch movies.  They put a placard on the TV that said "RADAR".

I don't listen to music in planes now, nor would I care too.

Save the triangle thingy

meganite

You mean you don't just like hearing the sound of the engine?  :P

I have a playlist about flying, but don't listen to it while flying. Too much else to concentrate on. But then, I'm pretty new at it, and I haven't flown far. Let's see some of what's on that playlist... hmm, I listen to a lot of video game music. The Doobie Brothers, "Long Train Running" comes to mind often, especially when the weather is nice. And Daft Punk "Voyager"

The only time I have imagined orchestras and choirs of angels singing was while my thoughts were being drowned out by a couple of extremely loud turboprop engines ;) (My mind easily makes pattern out of noise...but it was beautiful nevertheless.)

Dak, I do the same thing on road trips where I either need to hear if my car engine is having trouble, or I'm driving through some bad rain.

a2capt

Video game music .. of course, all mine is from the mid 80's to early 90's. The rest of it,. bah. ;)

Well the pistons keep on churnin'
..and the prop goes round and round ..

Though I have to say, I want to get clearance from ATC and push that button.. Magic Carpet Ride, outta there..

caphornbuckle

The prop on the plane goes round and round
round and round
round and round....

I know there's going to be someone on here that will get that stuck in their head next time they're in the air!  >:D
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: meganite on December 20, 2010, 08:05:46 AM
You mean you don't just like hearing the sound of the engine?  :P
Last year I flew to NESA from California.  XM radio from the 696 saved my mind once we reached the boring "flat" parts East of Santa Fe  >:D

meganite

Quote from: caphornbuckle on December 20, 2010, 10:02:13 AM
The prop on the plane goes round and round
round and round
round and round....

I know there's going to be someone on here that will get that stuck in their head next time they're in the air!  >:D

Only when flying in an airbus ;)