Pilot uninjured, safely lands plane in Hamburg - Crack Reporting!

Started by A.Member, February 20, 2012, 05:31:52 AM

A.Member

Had to read the following article because the headline was so odd...A pilot safely landed her plane and was uninjured?  Isn't that the norm?!

Pilot uninjured, safely lands plane in Hamburg - Local News - Minneapolis - St. Paul, MN - msnbc.com

Of course the story is actually a bit different from the headline.  Nonetheless, the portion of the story that I bolded below caught my attention again after I saw picture accompanying the story:

QuoteHAMBURG, Minn.- A 42-year-old Minneapolis woman was uninjured when she was forced to land a plane in a plowed field near Hamburg.

Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson says the incident happened Saturday afternoon. The woman was the only person on the plane when her instrument panel lost power and she had to land.

Olson says the Piper 28 aircraft landed safely without damage.

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating.

???  I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the Cub does not have swept wings.

Overall, nice reporting KARE11/MSNBC.  Not.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

a2capt

Heh, I hope it's something more than an "instrument panel" not getting power.

That's a pretty sad reason to have to land. .. unless it's on fire. The airplane still flies.

AngelWings

Quote from: A.Member on February 20, 2012, 05:31:52 AM
Had to read the following article because the headline was so odd...A pilot safely landed her plane and was uninjured?  Isn't that the norm?!

Pilot uninjured, safely lands plane in Hamburg - Local News - Minneapolis - St. Paul, MN - msnbc.com

Of course the story is actually a bit different from the headline.  Nonetheless, the portion of the story that I bolded below caught my attention again after I saw picture accompanying the story:

QuoteHAMBURG, Minn.- A 42-year-old Minneapolis woman was uninjured when she was forced to land a plane in a plowed field near Hamburg.

Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson says the incident happened Saturday afternoon. The woman was the only person on the plane when her instrument panel lost power and she had to land.

Olson says the Piper 28 aircraft landed safely without damage.

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating.

???  I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the Cub does not have swept wings.

Overall, nice reporting KARE11/MSNBC.  Not.
Wanna be MiG-21.

BillB

I don't remember any power to the instrument panel. All the instruments are vacuum or air pressure except the oil pressure and mag switch . And that doesn't get any power.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Chief2009

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

FlyTiger77

JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

NIN

First rule of aviation reporting by mainstream press: guess/make up everything you don't know, aren't sure about or neglected to ask.  Second rule: use wikipedia to back up your clueless reportage.

Every time you read about a skydiving accident, just remember that *everything* is wrong but the date and location. Seriously.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.