Does CAP still have designations for Type A and Type B encampments?

Started by ascorbate, November 14, 2008, 04:03:39 PM

ascorbate

Does CAP still have designations for Type A and Type B encampments?

If not, does anyone know when this was phased out?

BTW: I attended Maryland Wing Type A encampments which lasted one rigorous week during the peak of summer in 1975, 1976 & 1977. At the conclusion of the 1977 summer encampment at Patuxent Naval Air Station, I was awarded "Honor Squadron Commander." I also knew of Type B encampments (that were spread over a couple of consecutive weekends, no weekdays) occuring at my home squadron (Gunpowder Composite Squadron - 18026) during 1975 and 1976 which I didn't attend.
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

Eclipse

No, all activities that receive credit as an "encampment" fall under the same designation - "encampment".

The activity must meet the same minimum curriculum requirements regardless of duration.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jerry Jacobs

"Type B" encampments are still in the CAPR 52-16, however I have never personally heard of anyone doing one of these since I've joined. (2006)
Quote from: CAPR 52-16It is preferred that they be conducted over a single time
period, not to exceed 14 days; however, they may be conducted over three weekends, spanning a
period of up to 60 days.

Eclipse

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on January 02, 2009, 02:40:57 AM
"Type B" encampments are still in the CAPR 52-16, however I have never personally heard of anyone doing one of these since I've joined. (2006)
Quote from: CAPR 52-16It is preferred that they be conducted over a single time period, not to exceed 14 days; however, they may be conducted over three weekends, spanning a period of up to 60 days.

As I said, they are no longer referred to as "Type B" or any other type, they are simply "encampments" without a separate designator for duration, or venue.  They all must meet the same curriculum requirements to the satisfaction of the local State Director in order to qualify for Mitchell credit.

If you are referring to weekend encampments in your statement above, there are currently at least two active ones, one of which has been running concurrently for at least 17 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

Timbo

Quote from: Eclipse on January 02, 2009, 03:08:23 AM
As I said, they are no longer referred to as "Type B" or any other type, they are simply "encampments" without a separate designator for duration, or venue.  They all must meet the same curriculum requirements to the satisfaction of the local State Director in order to qualify for Mitchell credit.

Where do you get this from??  I direct your attention to the CAP FORM 20 "Encampment Report", Item # 3 "Type A or Type B" check boxes.

lordmonar

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on January 02, 2009, 02:40:57 AM
Quote from: CAPR 52-16It is preferred that they be conducted over a single time
period, not to exceed 14 days; however, they may be conducted over three weekends, spanning a
period of up to 60 days.

I ran a "weekend encampment" when I was the commander of an overseas squadron.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

The reg IS updated. The 2006 version shows no mention of Class A/B designations. The 2003 version doesn't either, and the change summary makes no mention of the designations changing or being deleted, so they were most likely not in the 1998 version, either.

The form is dated 1982, and, except for the A/B thing, needs no other revision. Changing it for that small reason is unnecessary.

If you were to ask anyone who became a member after after 1998 to define the difference between a Type A and Type B encampment, I'd guess that the majority of the folks you asked would say "Huh, what a Type A or Type B?" I think you're flogging the horse here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Timbo

Quote from: SarDragon on January 02, 2009, 06:00:17 AM
If you were to ask anyone who became a member after after 1998 to define the difference between a Type A and Type B encampment, I'd guess that the majority of the folks you asked would say "Huh, what a Type A or Type B?" I think you're flogging the horse here.

I guess those of us who were around before '98 would know. 

NIN

Cadet: "Sir, is a Type B encampment one where you only wear Class B uniforms?"
Me: "Brilliant thinking troop.. NOT!"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ol'fido

I attended Type A encampments in '79, '81, and '83. Was the Cadet Commander of a Type B in '82. I think they changed it because people were always referring to them as Class A and Class B encampments with the feeling that B encampments were second class or inferior. So in the late 80's early 90's it went from Type A and B to just Summer/Winter or Weekend encapments.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

There is also the KB:

Quote from: CAP KB Answer ID 931, dated 11/20/2007
Question
What is the difference between type-A and type-B encampments?

Answer
CAP does not currently call its encampments "Type A" or "Type B." These titles were used many years ago to differentiate between the week-long schedule, usually held at an Air Force facility (Type A) and the successive weekend schedule, usually held at a facility other than Air Force (Type B).

CAP still allows either schedule for its encampments (see CAPR 52-16 CADET PROGRAM MANAGEMENT, Chapter 5). However, we no longer need to differentiate the schedules nor location. See the Cadet Programs web page.

ROBERT B SMITH, Lt Col, CAP
Cadet & Senior Member Professional Development Division
Leadership Development Directorate
334.953.5309 (DSN: 493)
334.953.6699 (Fax)
Web: Cadet Programs
E-mail: rsmith@capnhq.gov

"That Others May Zoom"

Timbo

^ OK......I lose! 

When the KB beats me down, I know its time to give up. 

I feel terribly old for how young I am.  As a Cadet in the early to late 1990's Encampments were still referred to as "A" or "B".  I guess I got lost in the rush of updating.  I will now take my regs and seclude myself in the basement for the weekend while I update myself.

In closing I would like to trash the Knowledge Base though.  I knew of three "type B" Encampments held at an Army, Navy and Air Force Base.  "Type B" was not just for those encampments held at other than an "Air Force Base".

:angel:   

tarheel gumby

Timbo, thank you  for not making me feel older than I already am. I was a cadet in the early 80's and a SM in the late 80's and I couldn't remember the diff. between type A and B encampments. ;D
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Eclipse

Quote from: Timbo on January 03, 2009, 12:42:25 AM
In closing I would like to trash the Knowledge Base though.  I knew of three "type B" Encampments held at an Army, Navy and Air Force Base.  "Type B" was not just for those encampments held at other than an "Air Force Base".

It does say "usually", not "always".

I know the preference, when there is a choice, is a USAF facility, however in this post-BRAC reality, those facilities are few and far between...

"That Others May Zoom"