Main Menu

Encampment

Started by C/Cool, October 04, 2013, 05:35:15 PM

C/Cool

Greetings,

I am looking to attend an encampment and I would like anyone's opinion on what would be the best encampment to attend as staff.
Thanks
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?

Майор Хаткевич

The one you went to as a basic.

MSG Mac

Do an online search for encampments, most Wing or Region sites will list local ones.
Decide when you want to go, there are several winter encampments, and at least one that occurs during spring break.
Ask your squadron mates.
Not necessarily in that order.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Pulsar

PAWG encampment. The staff are thoroughly trained. PAWG has one of the best encampments in the nation and certainly in north east region.
(I know, I'm biased.  ::) )
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Pulsar on October 05, 2013, 06:27:19 PM
PAWG encampment. The staff are thoroughly trained. PAWG has one of the best encampments in the nation and certainly in north east region.

Based on what info?

Huey Driver

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 05, 2013, 08:09:01 PM

Based on what info?

Their staff often holds the same or similar positions in consecutive years. So there's at least continuity there...
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JerseyCadet on October 05, 2013, 08:25:33 PM

Based on what info?

Their staff often holds the same or similar positions in consecutive years. So there's at least continuity there...

Then I would argue that it is a disservice to the cadet staff.

Huey Driver

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 05, 2013, 08:43:59 PM

Based on what info?

Then I would argue that it is a disservice to the cadet staff.

I agree, personally. But that's how they know their positions so well.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

Quote from: JerseyCadet on October 05, 2013, 10:00:40 PM

The issue is then there's no growth. 

There is something to be said for proficiency, we severely lack it in CAP, but that's more for the senior side in
roles that need to be done consistently.  Cadets should be looking to stretch and challenge themselves
outside their comfort zone.  Otherwise it's just band camp.

A lot encampments forget that the cadet staff are being trained as well.

Cadets should be moving up the chain every year, not parking in a comfortable spot and just going through the
motions.

To go from Flt Sgt to Executive Staff is going to be a 5-7 year process depending on the path.  That exceeds many
cadets' careers.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Yep. I went basic, advanced, first sergeant, commander, support. Then (and even during support) I was already timed out on real active participation.

For most...say basic, advanced, flight staff, flight/squadron, exec. Still 5 years, with anyone starting at 12-13 pushing high school graduation.

Patterson

Hahahahahaha......

AACS Cadet21

COWG or KSWG, best ones in my opinion.....

dwb

I would obviously recommend the encampment for the Wing you reside in. :)

New encampment CC next year, great guy, I think it'll be one of the best activities around in '14. I'm excited.

Brad

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 04, 2013, 05:39:43 PM
The one you went to as a basic.

Where's the like button when you need it?!
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Nearly Dark Side

Based on what info?

Not True, obviously every staff member cannot have a new position, but the most qualified among the flight commanders usually become either the Leadership School Group Commander, the Encampment Group Commander Squadron commander, or executive officer. Yes many flight commanders hold their position for more than one year, but with there being 10 flight commanders, and a limited number of positions available above that, it is necessary that some individuals do not advance in rank. Despite this "drawback" I would say that yes, PA wing does have one of the best encampments in the country, and most definitely I the NER. My "data" is that I have discussed this thoroughly with out of state cadets and my conclusion is that I received higher quality training at encampment. Our leadership schools are also excellent. To the best of my knowledge there is not a school like LDC anywhere else, and the staff at LDC is some of the best I have ever had.

Eclipse

Quote from: C/CMSgt Collins on October 10, 2013, 10:24:45 AMYes many flight commanders hold their position for more than one year, but with there being 10 flight commanders, and a limited number of positions available above that, it is necessary that some individuals do not advance in rank.

So then what about the cadets who need the experience themselves?

Quote from: C/CMSgt Collins on October 10, 2013, 10:24:45 AM...I would say that yes, PA wing does have one of the best encampments in the country, and most definitely I the NER. My "data" is that I have discussed this thoroughly with out of state cadets and my conclusion is that I received higher quality training at encampment. Our leadership schools are also excellent. To the best of my knowledge there is not a school like LDC anywhere else, and the staff at LDC is some of the best I have ever had.

How many other states have you been to?

Off-rah your home state, and everyone considers their first encampment "the best", but taking to a handful of other cadets who agree with you and have limited
experience themselves probably isn't the best barometer.

The are excellent encampment programs all over the country, and by design they should all be pretty much the same, venue not withstanding.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nearly Dark Side

Quote from: Eclipse on October 10, 2013, 02:39:46 PM
Quote from: C/CMSgt Collins on October 10, 2013, 10:24:45 AMYes many flight commanders hold their position for more than one year, but with there being 10 flight commanders, and a limited number of positions available above that, it is necessary that some individuals do not advance in rank.

So then what about the cadets who need the experience themselves?

It is each cadet's responsibility to convince the staff interviewers that they are capable and better than their peers. If one cadet is more qualified than another then it is his right to the staff position. In my opinion the experience and knowledge gained by encampment staff is secondary to the students' education and in order for them to get the best education the staff must be the best it can be.

Eclipse

Quote from: C/CMSgt Collins on October 10, 2013, 03:43:08 PMIn my opinion the experience and knowledge gained by encampment staff is secondary to the students' education and in order for them to get the best education the staff must be the best it can be.

I agree to a point, however >everyone< in an encampment environment is training, including the adults, but >especially< the
cadet staff.  If there aren't enough non-repeaters to fill the jobs, so be it, but if the choice is "1st timer vs. repeat offender",
the 1st timer should generally "win".

Encampment staff is as much about timing as it is about ability.  Certainly there are always applicants who clearly do not have the ability or would be a detriment to the situation, but in a lot of cases a cadet has one or two shots at a given position, and if the staff choices are made too far in advance, or based on "he's done it before", then the cadet with "one shot" never gets the experience at all.

Experienced cadet line staff might make life easier for everyone, especially the seniors, but in many cases misses the point of the encampment.  We're looking to build good leaders who can then take those lessons back to their units, not build encampment staff,
since by design those encampment staffs have an expiration date.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

I would encourage going to a Ca Wg encampment.  They have a well rounded program and it was the basis for the new encampment guide.

Pulsar

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2013, 10:10:01 PM
Quote from: JerseyCadet on October 05, 2013, 10:00:40 PM

The issue is then there's no growth. 

There is something to be said for proficiency, we severely lack it in CAP, but that's more for the senior side in
roles that need to be done consistently.  Cadets should be looking to stretch and challenge themselves
outside their comfort zone.  Otherwise it's just band camp.

A lot encampments forget that the cadet staff are being trained as well.

Cadets should be moving up the chain every year, not parking in a comfortable spot and just going through the
motions.

To go from Flt Sgt to Executive Staff is going to be a 5-7 year process depending on the path.  That exceeds many
cadets' careers.

don't worry they are. a lot of the staff were newer in 2012. a squadron commander 2 years ago, is now the cadet wing commander for encampment 2014. That is what PA Leadership Development course is for. You learn to be a first line supervisor; its modeled directly off of ROTC summer training. It is a lot harder than encampment  >:D  ( :'()  . Its other purpose is to train cadets to be responsible staff and encourages them to staff encampment. If a cadet goes to LDC, he can staff PAWG ENC even if he hasn't been to RCLS.
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Pulsar

Quote from: C/CMSgt Collins on October 10, 2013, 10:24:45 AM

Based on what info?

Not True, obviously every staff member cannot have a new position, but the most qualified among the flight commanders usually become either the Leadership School Group Commander, the Encampment Group Commander Squadron commander, or executive officer. Yes many flight commanders hold their position for more than one year, but with there being 10 flight commanders, and a limited number of positions available above that, it is necessary that some individuals do not advance in rank. Despite this "drawback" I would say that yes, PA wing does have one of the best encampments in the country, and most definitely I the NER. My "data" is that I have discussed this thoroughly with out of state cadets and my conclusion is that I received higher quality training at encampment. Our leadership schools are also excellent. To the best of my knowledge there is not a school like LDC anywhere else, and the staff at LDC is some of the best I have ever had.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
I have talked to cadets all over the east coast.
C/LtCol Neutron Star