Main Menu

COS?

Started by Aynedraea, May 03, 2013, 05:18:46 AM

Aynedraea

Having been accepted, I'm curious as what to expect from COS, and who I might run into there. Having a feel for what it will be like would be a great help; I don't exactly want to get shocked like a few of my cadets did going to Honor Guard Academy a few years ago.
C/2nd Lt. Jewel Pekkala
Socorro Composite Squadron

PA Guy

It is very academic and similar to being in college.  No drill, PT or formations.  You will need good study habits since you will be required to read a large amount of material and be prepared for class. You will have almost  daily speaking or writing assignment due.  Be on time, in the right place, in the right uniform and prepared.  No one is going to hold your hand you are going to treated as a responsible cadet officer.

You will meet and hear some of the best in their field  speaking on leadership and strategic thinking.  The speakers consist of general officers and faculty from the Air University.  You will be in a seminar with approx 11 other cadets and two seminar advisors composed of USAFR and CAP officers.  Come with an open mind and be prepared for a great time.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: PA Guy on May 03, 2013, 05:51:19 AMNo drill, PT or formations.

How about PT in formation? A few pictures from COS...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

PA Guy

Those are photos of warm up exercises done just prior to starting Project X.  Daily PT is left up to the individual cadet.  They also compete in a daily volleyball competition that is part of the curriculum.

Eclipse

That first photo looks like:

Tactical Pooping or 50-yard hernia dash

3rd one appears to be "Advanced Surrender"

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: PA Guy on May 07, 2013, 03:47:13 AM
Those are photos of warm up exercises done just prior to starting Project X.  Daily PT is left up to the individual cadet.  They also compete in a daily volleyball competition that is part of the curriculum.

It was a joke, really.  I was a seminar advisor and took the photos above.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Woodsy

Just an FYI about CAP-USAF support at COS this year.  Our state director briefed us last weekend at a wing commander's call that due to the budget situation CAP-USAF would not be providing the usual level of support.  He stated that for starters, there were no man days available, and second there is no travel budget for them.  If there are any CAP-USAF personnel there at all, they will be drawn from the local (Maxwell) community and will be volunteering on their own time and own dime since there's no man day pay.  He said in summary that CAP members would be needed at an unprecedented level to pull it off. 

A.Member

What is "COS"?  And what's up with the Rainbows?!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

a2capt

"Cadet Officer School", different color shirts for each seminar group.