Wing Conference's and Region Conference's.

Started by Hoorah, October 14, 2009, 11:17:16 PM

Hoorah

Hello, I was wondering how the Region Conference's compared to a Wing Conference's. This year I am going to my fist one the greatest advantage is to see how CAP runs on a Wing level, meet the National Commander Maj Gen Amy Courter. Another advantage is meet cadets and Seniors from OH it will help me learn to be more professional and so forth.

C/MSgt Lunsford

I'm going to Wing Conference Next Friday. C/Col Hill (Cadet Commander of Martinsburg Composite Squadron) is going to let me meet the MER Commander. Not as exciting as Major General herself, but it will do for me... ;)

Wright Brothers #13915

bosshawk

I will attempt to answer Kyle's original post.  Your Wing Conference is generally only the people in your Wing: in this case, Ohio.  You may have folks from the Region Staff and folks from National, but the main emphasis is on things relating to Ohio Wing.

Now, move up a notch and you have the Region Conference: in this case, Great Lakes Region.  Without looking it up, I would suggest that this includes all the Wings in the Great Lakes Region: probably five or six or more Wings.  You now have an expanded point of view: people from a bunch of Wings getting together to discuss things of interest to everyone in the Region.

Enough information to choke a horse, I know, but it sort of gets the point across.  Go and have fun and say hi to the National Commander(right after you say Maam).
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Chappie

There are a couple of things to keep in mind whether you attend a Wing, Region or National Conference:

1) these are great opportunities to meet people and to begin networking;

2) there are excellent workshops/break-out sessions/seminars that conducted for the membership which are designed to assist you.

The formal events (Reception/General Assembly/Banquet) as well as the informal events (breakfast/lunch/dinner -- hanging out) prove to be good times.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Eclipse

In my experience they are pretty much the same (Region vs. Wing).

On paper the scope of discussions and attendance should be different, but the practical reality is that
the majority of the attendees will be from the host state, as will most of the staff.

With a Region conference there will be a better chance of National Staffers and HEADCAP being there, but otherwise, CAP is CAP.

Having been both an attendee and a staffer for these, generally the networking and side meetings are as valuable, if not more, than the formal seminars.

"That Others May Zoom"

addo1

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on October 14, 2009, 11:17:16 PM
Hello, I was wondering how the Region Conference's compared to a Wing Conference's. This year I am going to my fist one the greatest advantage is to see how CAP runs on a Wing level, meet the National Commander Maj Gen Amy Courter. Another advantage is meet cadets and Seniors from OH it will help me learn to be more professional and so forth.

I have been to many conferences at Wing/Region/National levels and I can firmly say that these events have been of much benefit to me as anything else. Through these, I have had detailed discussions with Gen Courter, spent quality time with Col Boe (astronaut), and met the wonderful General Lorenze. At the last national conference, I spent time with the Nat/Vice Commander, all the region commanders, and most of the wing commanders. As a cadet, there is no better experience than being able to sit and soak in information from colonels or the like. Most of these people are cadet friendly as long as you remain professional and have a mature countenance about you.  For you personally, I would suggest going to as many of these as possible as you will benefit greatly.

Now, to answer your original question. The region/wing difference is basically the level of participation. With the Wing, the majority consists of wing personnel and staff. When you get up the the region echelon, the participation widens a lot. It will depend on your wing/region as to the opportunities that are specifically for cadets. In the past, I have seen very limited cadet participation, but that has been something that I am working on with CAC and will be pressing for in the future. As for improving yourself in the realm of professional development, a conference can assist with that. By watching the actions of the staff, you are able to pull away how YOU want to be. Many of the "high and mighty" members of staff really are down to earth and great conversationalists when you get to know them. I was extremely impressed with our National Commander, MG Courter. She is an oustanding 101 communicator at the individual level and shows interest in everyone from the lowest C/AB. I hope you will pull away a lot from the conferences when you attend. Please keep us updated on how it goes.  :)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

addo1

^ Also, keep in mind that if you like what you see, you might want to consider staffing. I staffed the most recent national conference and it was one of the best things I ever did. You will learn a lot by staffing and it is awesome to be able to interact with people in that kind of environment. Just FYI.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

EMT-83

Conferences can offer opportunities for cadets to go places and do things that otherwise wouldn't be possible. Last year, my cadet son was billeted with me on the Navy base in Newport, RI. The year before, he toured restricted areas of West Point, went through the obstacle course and fired a rifle on their range. Both were for NER conferences.

The best experience of any conference was attending the banquet at Eisenhower Hall at West Point. Standing below the balcony where MacArthur gave his farewell speech was a close second.

The CTWG conference is next weekend. The cadets are scheduled for field exercises with ROTC and Active Duty personnel. Not a bad way to spend the day.

Definitely go, have a good time, meet new people.

brasda91

Quote from: Lunsford on October 14, 2009, 11:23:52 PM
...is going to let me meet the MER Commander.

Nobody should restrict you from meeting the Region Commander.  The Region Commander should be willing to meet any member that wants to meet him/her.  You don't need permission from anyone, just use discretion and common sense when deciding when to introduce yourself.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

flyerthom

Do be prepared to meet anyone in a surprise situation. I was at a National Conference and a very nice gentleman starts a conversation with me. We were chatting quite pleasantly and he mentioned he was an airline pilot and Air Force Reserve who had been activated for a command. It was then I  noticed his shoulders. He was a two star General!
TC