Main Menu

"Like" A Post

Started by etodd, December 30, 2017, 06:14:34 PM

etodd

The "Reputation" system was too personal.

What I would like to see is something similar to social media posts where you can simply like or dislike that particular post without it having to affect the poster.

There are many times when I read something here and want ti 'high five' it as a great idea. And it would save space in the thread if I could simply click a like button so others see how many likes that post had. But instead I have to Reply to the post and add another one simply saying 'great idea' or something.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Unnecessary, this isn't the world of shorthand slacktivsim, and it's not
a place anyone cares about "likes". 

It's a discussion group.  Discuss.  If that's too much effort, don't. No one will
mind or miss it.

The problem with slacktivism and reputation-based forums, is that they also tend to
devalue facts and legit interpretations that make people sad, but that doesn't make them "not".

There's a small, emerging service call "Reddit" that does that.  They even has a CAP area.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2017, 06:35:22 PM

It's a discussion group.  Discuss.  If that's too much effort, don't. No one will
mind or miss it.

The problem with slacktivism and reputation-based forums, is that they also tend to
devalue facts and legit interpretations that make people sad, but that doesn't make them "not".

There's a small, emerging service call "Reddit" that does that.  They even has a CAP area.

Ok ... so here  >>>>   :clap:

EMT-83

I have to agree with Eclipse on this. To "smite" a member because they express a different or controversial opinion is, in a word, stupid.

The fact that I had a higher reputation score than Ned speaks volumes as to the usefulness of this feature.

ColonelJack

mind or miss it.

Bob ... you're still a curmudgeon, my friend.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

whatevah

mind or miss it.

On the other hand, someone with a lot of "likes" for informative posts but a relatively low postcount may have his posts read with a little more weight than someone with a great number of posts but few of actual value.  One forum I'm on actually hides the postcount so that's not a factor.

I'm experimenting with different options to improve the overall experience here, post "likes" may indeed be one of them, however this forum software doesn't support that.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

etodd

Quote from: whatevah on December 31, 2017, 03:36:48 AM

I'm experimenting with different options to improve the overall experience here, post "likes" may indeed be one of them, however this forum software doesn't support that.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=506743.msg3568645#msg3568645

whatevah

Quote from: etodd on December 31, 2017, 04:22:04 AM
Quote from: whatevah on December 31, 2017, 03:36:48 AM

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=506743.msg3568645#msg3568645
Sadly, not maintained.   SMF 2.1 has it as a core feature, however that's been in Beta for 3 years...
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin