Main Menu

Initial Grade

Started by EmerMan, September 11, 2019, 05:09:07 AM

EmerMan

I have a question regarding initial grade. I was reading in CAPR 35-5 (4.3) that a unit commander may recommend a member for a higher initial grade based on a special skill (all listed). I'm wondering if this is something that I bring up to the commander or will they see it on my training/qualifications record and take action?

Just don't want to be presumptuous.

Eclipse

If you qualify for a higher initial grade due to mission skills or professional qualifications,
you'll need to discuss it with your Commander for hi consideration.

Nothing in this regard is automatic, and depending on the what's and whys, may require
justification of service or intent for higher HQ approval.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

If you have a specialized skill that permits advanced promotion, such as an FCC license or PPL, by all means approach your Commander/Professional Development Officer.

I faced that when I joined CAP. I didn't know anything about it (why would I?). I approached my Commander at the time who also never knew about it (we didn't have a PDO then either). I would have been eligible for 2d Lt about 30 days into CAP when my Level 1 was completed, but I ended up getting an early promo only about a month ahead of time in grade.

Now it's not necessarily a bad thing to say "You're not ready for the additional grade and responsibilities yet." This is why it's case-by-case and not automatic.

In my case, we just never realized that it was a 'thing' until I went manual hunting.

So bring it up. Maybe they don't know how it works. Maybe they do and they just decided not to permit it (or they don't know that you have those skills). If they say, "We know, but..." then accept the feedback and reasoning behind it.

EmerMan

Thank you for the replies. Very helpful  :)

MSG Mac

Remember that for these appointments you must be Fully qualified or licensed in the field, you're getting the appointment in.
Physicians,   Nurses, and Lawyers  must be currently  licensed to practice. Mere graduation from a Medical or Law school grants a degree-the license makes them able to practice their trade.   
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member