Specialty Track Comparison

Started by SAR-EMT1, May 05, 2007, 12:42:53 PM

SAR-EMT1

Recently I was asked by a brand new SM how some Specialty tracks are compared to others as far as 1) ease of attainment 2) ease of job 3) importance of job.

Being that I am a Senior Personnel guru and a tech in CP and Admin I gave him the long and short on those. However Id like to hear the forum opinion on the others. - I will print off the better summaries and turn them over to the noob.  :) 
- Thanks.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DNall

He wants easy & important? That don't jive! What you put in controls what good you do & your personal develoment & skill determines by what factor it gets multiplied.

CP obviously is a big niche. AE is related to that. and down ticket you get recruiting, DDR, etc.

Comm is anoother niche.

Otherwise you're talking about ES or PD. ES is a long one so pick up something else while you asst  ES (or one of the sub jobs like SaR or DR) & work toward getting competent.

The rest are pretty much holding or support jobs... admin, pers, supply, logistics, ops, etc

Really it has to do more with your personal iterests & abilities to contribute in an area.

Major Carrales

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 05, 2007, 12:42:53 PM
Recently I was asked by a brand new SM how some Specialty tracks are compared to others as far as 1) ease of attainment 2) ease of job 3) importance of job.

Being that I am a Senior Personnel guru and a tech in CP and Admin I gave him the long and short on those. However Id like to hear the forum opinion on the others. - I will print off the better summaries and turn them over to the noob.  :) 
- Thanks.

To me, it has always depened on one's strengths and interests.  Everyone in CAP does their part in their best work.

I had some limited experience in Journalism, but I am a teacher.  Thus, my "easy and important" Spec Tracks are...

Public Affairs
Cadet Programs
Aerospace Education

Easy is a relative term.  If done with passion, everything is EASY.  That is why difficult hobbies like "model railroading" and "sports" are done with little Effort or Burden (I should say in "stride")...but lots of work.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

davedove

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 06, 2007, 04:35:12 PM

To me, it has always depened on one's strengths and interests.  Everyone in CAP does their part in their best work.

Easy is a relative term.  If done with passion, everything is EASY.  That is why difficult hobbies like "model railroading" and "sports" are done with little Effort or Burden (I should say in "stride")...but lots of work.

I'll have to agree with these.  Easy is relative.

That being said, some of the tracks look more difficult, but that's because they have specific requirements spelled out.  But for someone who enjoys that field, they are not difficult.

Now, what can be frustrating is having to wait for others to offer chances to fill those requirements.  For instance, if a specific class is required, like TLC for Cadet Programs, you are at the mercy of those who plan the course.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

CAPOfficer

Quote from: davedove on May 07, 2007, 12:04:34 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on May 06, 2007, 04:35:12 PM

I'll have to agree with these.  Easy is relative.

That being said, some of the tracks look more difficult, but that's because they have specific requirements spelled out.  But for someone who enjoys that field, they are not difficult.

Now, what can be frustrating is having to wait for others to offer chances to fill those requirements.  For instance, if a specific class is required, like TLC for Cadet Programs, you are at the mercy of those who plan the course.

This also holds true for some of the basic Professional Development requirements as well, i.e. SLS & CLC.  Some wings don't offer them on a regular basis; in some wings, maybe only once or twice a year.

SAR-EMT1

This same SM was intending to go to an SLS offered in central IL about a month back. It was cancelled suddenly and a new one offered on the North side of Chicago. The SM did not attend.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

SARMedTech

I recently read somewhere in all the regs about an advanced promotion option that applies to persons with particular professional skills that apply directly to CAP. I believe the example given was health professionals who function as Health Officers, but I would assume it could apply to others, ie Lawyers, etc. Can anyone with some more experience talk more about this?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

arajca

DrDave

Yep, CAPR 35-5 Section E, especially Figure 6 on page 8.

That's how I got started.  Went to Captain as a licensed physician serving as a squadron medical officer.  After one year still serving as same, could have gone to Major -- but got tapped instead as the new Group Commander and became Major that way (three days before I would have done it the medical officer way).

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

IceNine

I think it was mentioned before but I'll offer my 2 cents as well.  I have been squadron and group PDO for 3 years now and personally hold a great majority of basic ratings.  In my eyes the "easiest" ratings were the ones that I was interested in and this holds true for most.  However the most bang for my buck was obtained in the areas that I was weak in before I worked through the specialty.  Keep in mind that at a very least it is highly desireable for members to enroll in the specialities for the staff positions they hold.  In some cases enrolling in these specialities is required.  Now, to back up members should not be choosing specialities based off of whats easy.  The only thing that does is create bling hounds, true assets to the program will choose tracks based off of what is needed within the unit.  If you have 15 CP techs what is the point in training another if you have no PA trained members or other areas?  There typically is no value to the unit in that case just remember that a well rounded senior training program will lead to less work being placed on the few that can, and will in turn increase moral.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328