Main Menu

Cadet Recruitment

Started by cap4fun, May 02, 2007, 06:48:36 AM

cap4fun

Ok, I'm the Deputy Commander here for the 113th Cadet Squadron at Misawa AB, Japan.  We are in need of some ideas to keep our small squadron going.  What are some methods you or your squadrons used to promote CAP?  We are very limited here being in another country and there is a lot of red tape with doing special activities off base.  Please email us at capmisawa113@gmail.com for your inputs.

Reys J. Cruz, 2LT, CAP
113th Cadet Squadron
"Junior Samurai"
Reys J. Cruz, 2LT, CAP
113th Cadet Squadron
"Junior Samurai"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Rivera

post messeges/emails here ALSO so that the ideas can be used by all.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Fifinella

Ads in the base papers, give your pitch at the base newcomers' briefs, get listed in the base phone book, work with the DODDS schools, Cadet Model Rocketry program, tap into DDR funds/supplies, work with the Youth Center
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

SarDragon

Quote from: riveraj on May 03, 2007, 04:10:31 AM

As a former commander of that unit, I chose to provide a more personalized response. OS units present problems over and above those encountered by stateside units, and I addressed them specifically.

Fifinella, the Model Rocket thing is a great idea, but the base wouldn't allow it when I was there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fifinella

Quotethe Model Rocket thing is a great idea, but the base wouldn't allow it when I was there.
That's too bad.  Recommend field trips to study Japanese WWII historical sites.

I can appreciate the challenges of being OS.  Best of luck to 2LT Cruz and the 113th.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Capt Rivera

Quote from: SarDragon on May 03, 2007, 08:10:26 AM
Quote from: riveraj on May 03, 2007, 04:10:31 AM

As a former commander of that unit, I chose to provide a more personalized response. OS units present problems over and above those encountered by stateside units, and I addressed them specifically.

Fifinella, the Model Rocket thing is a great idea, but the base wouldn't allow it when I was there.

There is nothing wrong with a personalized response but just because their situation might be special does not mean someone else might not benefit from your experience. It also doesn't' mean someone wouldn't read what you had to say and because of that, develop an idea they might not have otherwise thought of. Was that unclear the 1st time? Unless something you said discredited someone over there specifically I can't see the need to keep the information secure. As always its up to you what you do, I just hope the logic of my statement is clear.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

SarDragon

Your logic is clear, but, IMHO, it doesn't fit the situation as I see it. Most of my response to Lt Cruz dealt specifically with his unit and the time I spent there. My previous post stands. If you have anything further to say, please PM me, so we can get the thread back on track.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Snake Doctor

I was the DCC at the Misawa Cadet Sq from Apr 91 to Dec 93.  I usually had a meeting notice in the "Northern Light" every week.  I also had a notice on the Commanders Access Channel.  If the FEN studio is still there, see if you can get an interview with them as well as the "Northern Light"  We did a Summer Encampment there and got on FEN.  Get some brochures to the middle and high school.  Is there still Junior ROTC? Maybe get with them.  Also if there's a home school association.  Update the web site.   http://www.freewebs.com/nhq_os_113/index.htm  Get a link to the web site on the Misawa AB web site.  It can be done.  You have to be persistent.  It took me almost a year of trying to get a link to the Scott Composite Sq on the Scott AFB web site.  Be sure and have a link to the Misawa AB site.  Mention your host unit is the 35th Fighter Wing.
Get a unit newsletter going and send it to all the commanders on base as well as FEN the base paper and the schools.  Go to the schools to see if there's any events you can attend for recruiting.  Hope this helps.

Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing