Main Menu

National Blue Beret

Started by 0, June 11, 2008, 01:03:25 PM

Is it harder for us on the Senior side to be selected to go to NBB?  If so what are some things that can work in my favor?  I'm currently MS, MSO, GTM3, & UDF qualified.  Hopefully after NESA I'll also be MO & GTL qualified. 

Would have those as background help out? 

Edit:  I'm asking because I'm considering applying for 2009. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Duke Dillio

Have a friend that is already on the cadre....  That might help out.

P.S., PM me and I might be able to give you a name of a guy to talk to.

Would knowing someone who was on cadre help too?  I know one person I'm not sure if he goes back.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

jeders

I applied as a senior this year for NBB. I emailed the program director, Lt Col Aye, a few months before the applications opened up just to get my name in her mind. After applications, she sent an email to all the people that applied basically looking for a quick resume. They needed people with cadet programs and ES experience.

For me that included having experience as a former cadet as well as having been GT qual'd for the last seven and a half years, which is also how long I've been in. But basically, I don't know anyone up there and no one up there knows me, and I still got chosen.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RickFranz

Quote from: jeders on June 11, 2008, 02:59:51 PM
But basically, I don't know anyone up there and no one up there knows me, and I still got chosen.

Well when you get up there this year make sure to say Hi.  I'll be one of the ones in the BBDU's driving the Van's on the flightline.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

davidsinn

How tough is the competition for Seniors up there?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Quote from: davidsinn on June 11, 2008, 10:03:01 PM
How tough is the competition for Seniors up there?

Apparently not too tough. Three or four years ago, I was on the application page, filled in a couple of fields, decided I shouldn't be doing that yet, and backed out w/o saving or submitting anything, so I thought.

Some weeks later, I got a call from someone in charge asking if I was still interested, since I hadn't sent in anything else. We had a nice chat, and I declined, due to other scheduling. He seemed eager to have me, based on my verbal résumé.

My guess is that if you get a decent recommendation from your unit, and have the requisite quals, you're probably in. Not a lot of folks can get that kind of time off, so they can't be as choosy as they might be for other NCSAs.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

So basically if I put down that I'm an FLS and a (by then) GTL I'm good to go? Oh I'm also a CPO tech for the moment.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Quote from: davidsinn on June 12, 2008, 01:57:48 AM
So basically if I put down that I'm an FLS and a (by then) GTL I'm good to go? Oh I'm also a CPO tech for the moment.

Should work. The FLS will get you the most points. Any chance of a UDF qual before you go?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Yeah I was going to get the few items I'm missing at the same time I get GTL. I'm planning on working on those next month.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jeders

Quote from: RickFranz on June 11, 2008, 09:27:44 PM
Quote from: jeders on June 11, 2008, 02:59:51 PM
But basically, I don't know anyone up there and no one up there knows me, and I still got chosen.

Well when you get up there this year make sure to say Hi.  I'll be one of the ones in the BBDU's driving the Van's on the flightline.

Will do sir.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Becks

Seniors basically go through different channels...if theyre in need of TACs it can all be handled with a quick email to some staff members.  Applying is mainly a formality.

BBATW

winterg

I'm a regular at NBB and will be there this year as well.  If I can help anyone, don't hesitate to PM me.  Also, we lost our military cooks due to deployments and are in desperate need of mess staff.  If anyone is interested please speak up.