Path to a well rounded cadet

Started by xray328, August 06, 2015, 01:00:09 PM

xray328

So with the basic encampment behind them, what encampments/NCSA's do you guys think would help make a well rounded cadet assuming the cadet stayed with the program all the way though Spaatz? COS and NESA come to mind, but using NESA as an example, how much training would you consider a well rounded cadet to have? Should they all strive for GTM1 or UDF for instance?  Certainly there are "fun" NCSA's that cadets attend because that area interests them, but which ones would you consider essential to a cadets development?

Would Blue Beret for instance negate the "need" to attend NESA at the cadet level? (please understand I don't know everything Blue Beret provides)

How about encampments, ATS/Zulu Flights, Ceremonial Schools, Regional Honor Guard Academies?

What's the best time/cost/benefit among all that's out there?

Thanks!

Alaric

Quote from: xray328 on August 06, 2015, 01:00:09 PM
So with the basic encampment behind them, what encampments/NCSA's do you guys think would help make a well rounded cadet assuming the cadet stayed with the program all the way though Spaatz? COS and NESA come to mind, but using NESA as an example, how much training would you consider a well rounded cadet to have? Should they all strive for GTM1 or UDF for instance?  Certainly there are "fun" NCSA's that cadets attend because that area interests them, but which ones would you consider essential to a cadets development?

Would Blue Beret for instance negate the "need" to attend NESA at the cadet level? (please understand I don't know everything Blue Beret provides)

How about encampments, ATS/Zulu Flights, Ceremonial Schools, Regional Honor Guard Academies?

What's the best time/cost/benefit among all that's out there?

Thanks!

I think, with the caveat I have never been a cadet, trying to come up with a formula for a well-rounded cadet is a little silly and the wrong approach.  Well roundedness should not come from one activity, it should come from the entire person. Without knowing what other activities the cadet is involved in outside of CAP, it would be difficult to say which activities would round them out. 

xray328

I just meant as a cadet, not so much as an individual.

It seems like a lot of the activities overlap in what they provide, especially if you look at NCSA's versus activities offered at the Wing level.  What does a cadet need to excel in the program?

I assume there are activities where you'd say "Wow, every cadet needs to attend this".

TheSkyHornet

If you're talking about skills, that's one thing.

If you're trying to improve the overall "well-rounding" of a person, that needs to come through the people closest to that person---the mentors, the leadership, and the friends. Strive to improve the environment at the squadron level.

The actual training courses include bettering their professional skills, which, in part, is an attribute to being "well rounded," but those are greater goals for skills and technical abilities than what I would believe to enhance ethics and values. I would say Step 1 would be talking with the individual cadet and understanding what they would like to get out of the program. Then take the time to look into ways to help them accomplish that, before weeding out stuff that may be outside the financial range or feasibility. Before you can know where to send a cadet for training, or what to recommend, you need to determine what they expect to obtain for themselves.

You can't tell a cadet "You should go to such-and-such" and find out they really didn't want to, even if they followed through. That doesn't make them a passionate, capable individual. It makes them a qualified person who might not want to employ that qualification.

Alaric

Quote from: xray328 on August 06, 2015, 01:33:14 PM
I just meant as a cadet, not so much as an individual.

It seems like a lot of the activities overlap in what they provide, especially if you look at NCSA's versus activities offered at the Wing level.  What does a cadet need to excel in the program?

I assume there are activities where you'd say "Wow, every cadet needs to attend this".

Other than encampment, no, there is no one activity I would say "every cadet needs to attend this"

To excel in the program, bring a good attitude and an openness to new experience

xray328

Ok so let's say we're talking about skills. If you looked at a cadet in the Stage IV level, what would you expect to see and what if any activities would best get them there?

If you were looking at a cadets resume what would look the best if you were selecting one versus another for say cadet advisory council?

Alaric

Quote from: xray328 on August 06, 2015, 02:35:38 PM
Ok so let's say we're talking about skills. If you looked at a cadet in the Stage IV level, what would you expect to see and what if any activities would best get them there?

If you were looking at a cadets resume what would look the best if you were selecting one versus another for say cadet advisory council?

If they are at level IV, I would expect to see leadership skills; for the cadets, if they get into ES fine, if they get into Color or Honor Guard fine, but I expect to see solid examples of leadership up through the levels, flight sergeant, flight commander, C/XO, etc.  If I was looking at a cadet's resume I would also weigh what he/she did outside the program as well as inside.  There are many things that people do that make them the people they are.  I try not to use attendance in NCSA's as a criteria as that is often more a mark of parents disposable income. 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: xray328 on August 06, 2015, 02:35:38 PM

There's much more to a resume than what's on paper. Sure, someone may have a ton of training, although that doesn't necessarily make them qualified in a particular area where that training is not so much required.

For example:
Going to an encampment and coming out with a Flight Line Marshaller qualification doesn't make you a well-rounded leader in CAP. Maybe it's a component in your abilities, but it doesn't mean you're this magnificent future officer.

All the training under one's belt doesn't make someone a wonderful person to serve under. That comes in addition to their quality of character to make them a subject matter expert, which is not the same as simply being a leader.

To find out about someone, I would much rather sit down with them face-to-face and ask them about their resume and get a feel for their personality and what pushed them to build that resume the way they did, rather than be handed a piece of paper saying "I'm qualified." 

kwe1009

Leading versus participating is what I look for.  It is nice that a young person has been involved in a million activities but it does not impress me.  I am impressed by examples of leadership.  Attending encampment is great and if you want to be an officer it is required.  Being a line staff member of an encampment is showing me that you are taking on leadership challenges.  The same goes for any other event and also at your home squadron.  Being the cadet IT officer is OK, being the cadet commander of over 40 cadets is impressive.  Go with quality over quantity.  That is what most people look for. 

Now, what activities build leadership?  COS is a great example.  There are others as well.

xray328

Seems in line with the admissions folks at the Academy.  They don't care how many clubs you were in...it's what you did in those clubs. Doesn't even matter if you were the President of them all...show us what you did with that.