What can a new cadet do to be competitive for National Activities?

Started by xray328, July 01, 2015, 03:18:35 PM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: GroundHawg on July 03, 2015, 02:43:41 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 02, 2015, 08:23:12 PM
Finally, the National Emergency Services Academy (NESA) has a separate application and selection process even though it's also recognized as an NCSA. If he's interested in NESA, he can apply to it in addition to any other NCSA he applies for.

Im not sure that NESA has an encampment requirement, but I do not think they do. If not, you might be able to get into the second session of NESA this summer. They have people bail at the last minute quite a bit Im told, and the worst you can do is try and be told no. The basic GT course would be a great experience and the training he would get would help his chances of getting NBB next year (along with the other skills listed above).

http://nesa.cap.gov/

NESA recommends encampment, but does not require it. I have cadets attending NESA this summer who have not completed encampment yet.

Quote from: Rafka on July 03, 2015, 07:39:54 PM
For the record. Hawk Mountain Ranger School doesn't have an Encampment requirement either.  ;D

According to the information provided in their website, basic encampment is a requirement to attend HMRS summer activity.

Rafka

TFO Joshua Rafka, CAP
Squadron Historian
Assistant IT Officer, Assistant Web Security Administrator
Hagerstown Composite Squadron

kwe1009

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 02, 2015, 09:00:35 PM
Quote from: xray328 on July 02, 2015, 04:14:30 PM
As a newer cadet is there any particular order you'd suggest? He really only has two more summers to get as much in as he can, this summers taken up by his first encampment. He's looking at Blue Beret, PJOC, Honor Guard Academy, COS (that's obviously year two) Engineering Academy and Johnson Flight Academy.
Thanks!
Note: HGA is no longer an NCSA, which should free up 2 weeks of conflicting activities in july.

Definitely try to go to COS as an officer. I got in as a fresh Mitchell cadet, just nail the supplemental application. A lot of my friends have gone to PJOC and seems like a great activity. Also, if your son goes to USAFA he may be able to work his summer schedule to be able to do an NCSA during the summers after his freshman year (one of my friends in my class used his leave period to go to NFA).

The MER and NER Honor Guard Academies are both an NCSA.  The application process is the same as other NCSAs and graduates earn the NCSA ribbon.