What can a new cadet do to be competitive for National Activities?

Started by xray328, July 01, 2015, 03:18:35 PM

xray328

Hey guys. Our sons 15 and putting on his first stripe tomorrow. He'd really love to be able to attend Blue Beret next year. He's concerned though because he'll only be a SMSgt by that time (if everything goes right). I told him I didn't think that was going to be an issue, but we were both wondering what he could do between now and then to be competitive as possible when applying. He's going to the Wing encampment at the end of the month and looking forward to seeking out leadership opportunities at the squadron level between now and then. Is there anything else?

Luis R. Ramos

Look at the requirements for Emergency Services qualification, Mission Radio Operator (MRO), Flight Marshaler, and UDF requirements. Some of there are some requirements he could do in between. Also make sure he takes at least the videos, quizzes, and test for the ICUT.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

xray328

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 01, 2015, 04:13:56 PM
Look at the requirements for Emergency Services qualification, Mission Radio Operator (MRO), Flight Marshaler, and UDF requirements. Some of there are some requirements he could do in between. Also make sure he takes at least the videos, quizzes, and test for the ICUT.

Will do, thanks.

Is that point system the only thing that counts though?

Offutteer

Quote from: xray328 on July 01, 2015, 08:03:01 PM

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 01, 2015, 04:13:56 PM

Will do, thanks.

Is that point system the only thing that counts though?

Yes, for the initial slotting in March, the point system is only thing that is looked at.  So, the only thing he can do now is to earn his Wright Brothers Award before 18 February.  The other factors can't be changed.  Each wing does their Green Lights differently, so you can inquire about that at the squadron. 

If he isn't selected in March, keep the dates open.  Cadets will back out of their slots for various reasons and the Activity Director will look for replacements.  That's where having the ES ratings help.  The AD should look for cadets that already have the requirements completed when looking for replacements, especially close to the start date.

xray328

abdsp51

Also "green lighting" doesn't circumvent the process either.

xray328

As a newer cadet is there any particular order you'd suggest? He really only has two more summers to get as much in as he can, this summers taken up by his first encampment. He's looking at Blue Beret, PJOC, Honor Guard Academy, COS (that's obviously year two) Engineering Academy and Johnson Flight Academy.

Are there any activities that typically don't fill?

Are any of those ultra competitive? Any "best approach" to getting a slot at those?

With 6 activities and two summers left do cadets ever get selected for more than one per summer? Or should he really cut down that list? COS is going to be priority one summer two. He won't get his Mitchell in time for next summer. 

Thanks!

Rafka

TFO Joshua Rafka, CAP
Squadron Historian
Assistant IT Officer, Assistant Web Security Administrator
Hagerstown Composite Squadron

xray328

He's going to be a sophomore in the fall. He's hoping to attend USAFA, report date is end of June. So it's two more summers assuming he gets in (worst/best case).

Rafka

I see. Well have him go through the NCSAs he wants and rank which ones he wants to go to most. You can apply for more than one at a time and rank them. (At least you could when I was a cadet a few years ago).
TFO Joshua Rafka, CAP
Squadron Historian

MSG Mac

There is also a National Cadet Leadership Academy which is always in February. Must have the Mitchell Award.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Storm Chaser

He can apply for as many NCSAs as he wants. That will increase his chances of getting selected for one. He may also get selected for more than one (I have a few cadets who did this year). Also, the ones he's not initially selected for may contact him later on if any openings occur do to someone else not being able to attend. If he gets selected for more than one, he can choose to attend them all or just one. Every year, his ranking will increase and his opportunity for selection will also increase. Finally, the National Emergency Services Academy (NESA) has a separate application and selection process even though it's also recognized as an NCSA. If he's interested in NESA, he can apply to it in addition to any other NCSA he applies for.

HGjunkie

Quote from: xray328 on July 02, 2015, 04:14:30 PM
As a newer cadet is there any particular order you'd suggest? He really only has two more summers to get as much in as he can, this summers taken up by his first encampment. He's looking at Blue Beret, PJOC, Honor Guard Academy, COS (that's obviously year two) Engineering Academy and Johnson Flight Academy.
Thanks!
Note: HGA is no longer an NCSA, which should free up 2 weeks of conflicting activities in july.

Definitely try to go to COS as an officer. I got in as a fresh Mitchell cadet, just nail the supplemental application. A lot of my friends have gone to PJOC and seems like a great activity. Also, if your son goes to USAFA he may be able to work his summer schedule to be able to do an NCSA during the summers after his freshman year (one of my friends in my class used his leave period to go to NFA).
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

xray328

So MER/NER HGA isn't an NCSA?

I'm hoping he does in fact have time over the summer, I hear they're pretty busy as freshman during summer break.

He might need to get his Spaatz the same way, we were looking at the promotion timeline and he'd get the Eaker May 31 assuming he hit every cycle.  I don't think he could apply for and pass the Spattz three weeks later.

HGjunkie

Quote from: xray328 on July 02, 2015, 09:29:15 PM
So MER/NER HGA isn't an NCSA?

I'm hoping he does in fact have time over the summer, I hear they're pretty busy as freshman during summer break.

He might need to get his Spaatz the same way, we were looking at the promotion timeline and he'd get the Eaker May 31 assuming he hit every cycle.  I don't think he could apply for and pass the Spattz three weeks later.

I'm not sure how the new Region HA's are compared to the old NHGA NCSA, the old one was 2 weeks long and the new ones are a weekend. Not too much of a commitment.
It's still possible to promote while at USAFA too, but everyone usually gets bogged down with freshman year stuff. You can probably coordinate with your chain to do distance promotion if they're willing to work with you.

If you're talking about the summer he enters USAFA, then he will be doing basic training and going directly into the academic year. If he waits until sophomore summer, he'll have 3 weeks leave period to do whatever he wants.
I know Spaatz is a big deal, but promoting kinda loses its luster once you're at the Academy and focusing on your life here.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

xray328

I was referring to this:

http://www.ner.cap.gov/index.php/home/honor-guard-academy

That ones a week long, I'm guessing it's not as intense as the old National Academy but it's all we have now.

HGjunkie

Quote from: xray328 on July 02, 2015, 09:36:45 PM
I was referring to this:

http://www.ner.cap.gov/index.php/home/honor-guard-academy

That ones a week long, I'm guessing it's not as intense as the old National Academy but it's all we have now.

Be glad. The previous HGA was a time/money sink. ($500 activity fee, had to go 3 years just to graduate). It's a great program, don't get me wrong but hopefully the new HGA is more efficient and able to accomplish the same. I don't have any experience with the new one however, so proceed with caution.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

GroundHawg

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 02, 2015, 08:23:12 PM
Finally, the National Emergency Services Academy (NESA) has a separate application and selection process even though it's also recognized as an NCSA. If he's interested in NESA, he can apply to it in addition to any other NCSA he applies for.

Im not sure that NESA has an encampment requirement, but I do not think they do. If not, you might be able to get into the second session of NESA this summer. They have people bail at the last minute quite a bit Im told, and the worst you can do is try and be told no. The basic GT course would be a great experience and the training he would get would help his chances of getting NBB next year (along with the other skills listed above).

http://nesa.cap.gov/

Rafka

For the record. Hawk Mountain Ranger School doesn't have an Encampment requirement either.  ;D
TFO Joshua Rafka, CAP
Squadron Historian