Main Menu

Ground School

Started by Tubacap, June 26, 2008, 06:27:21 PM

Tubacap

In a recent thread, the mission observer position was hashed and rehashed.  It got me thinking that I have fallen out of background knowledge.  I can do everything functionally on routine missions, but going through and really knowing the physics, avionics, and other such theories would do me some good.

What is involved with PPL Ground School?

I found this online Gold Seal Ground School does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

rightstuffpilot

The only requirement is:

Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:

(1) Conducted the training or reviewed the person's home study on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and

(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test.

(e) Pass the required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part.

as well as be signed off for the practical portion (so this requires showing your signer that you have knowledge--how you gain it is essentially up to you).

Basically, with some FAA decoding, You must have the required knowledge.  If you show your CFI you have this through home study (like gleim or an online course) that is ok, just as you could sit in a formal "ground school".  The choice is yours and there are plenty of ways to get it done to meet your schedule.  Many online/self-study courses generate a test sign off for the student pilot at the end of the course--however to recieve a license you must first have an actual sign off by a CFI to take your test.  Hope this helps.

HEIDI C. KIM, Maj , CAP
CFI/CFII/MEI
Spaatz # 1700

Cedar Rapids Composite Squadron- Commander

Tubacap

NER-PA-001

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: rightstuffpilot on June 26, 2008, 06:51:38 PM
If you show your CFI ...

A ground instructor also works.  Make them earn that advanced rank  ;D
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

write-stuff

Greetings, Tubacap and everyone. I see that you stumbled across my site:
www.FAA-Ground-School.com

Please feel free to take advantage of this free resource. The Private Pilot multimedia lessons are very good and don't overlook the Library. There are some excellent documents in there.

If you're online tonite, please join us on our Aviation Talk Radio show at:
www.GoldSealLive.com

Make sure to minimize the player after you get the audio running so you can ask questions using the built-in chat window.

Good Flying!
Russ Still, MCFI, CAP-Capt., Gwinnett County Composite Squadron

airdale

QuoteWhat is involved with PPL Ground School?

Two different things, one of which you may not be interested in:  (1) learning about flying, which appears to be your goal and (2) prepping for the knowledge test, which definitely involves things that are irrelevant to your goal.

So, you will need to evaluate alternatives based on how much of each medicine you want.

Places like faatest.com are strictly oriented towards teaching the test.  "Weekend Wonder" ground schools probably are as well, though I have not been to one so don't know for sure.

Sporty's and the King private pilot CDs can be bought on eBay and resold for little or no net cost.  These are a mixture of the two medicines, but you will the ability to fast-forward or skip entirely things that are not of interest. They might be a good place to start.

On-line paced courses -- I don't know.  I would look to make sure it is easy to skip things that you don't care about -- like the arcana of VFR operations in Class G airspace.

You could just start with some books.

• The FAA book: http://www.faa.gov/Library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/ is online for free or about fifteen bucks for a copy you can carry around.
  • Many people like Rod Machado's stuff  a lot, though I personally find his "humor" to be very tedious: http://www.rodmachado.com/  YMMV on that one.
  • Finally "Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot" is virtually all regulations but is surprisingly readable.  http://www.aviation-press.com/  It's also expensive; I'd suggest looking one over to see if it suits you before dropping the bucks.  Like Machado, it's a little quirky.  By the time you get to the third chapter you will begin wondering whether the world supply of bold-underline type and dumb clip-art is large enough to see the book through to the end.  Unfortunately it is, but I still like the book.

write-stuff

Some good points there, Airdale. www.faa-ground-school.com is definately a site you'll want to investigate. We have a large amount of flying knowledge to impart via our free multimedia lessons. And they are not aimed strictly at passing a written test. The Gold Seal Online Ground School was selected by Plane & Pilot magazine this year as a "Top Ten Online Resource" for pilots.

Good Flying! - Russ, CAP-Capt. - GA112

airdale

From a brief visit, it looks very nice, Russ.  Certainly you've done a huge amount of work.  Hopefully it will pay off for you.  (The newest way to make a small fortune is, of course:  Start with a big one and try to make money on the internet.)

Your site is looks like a good place for Tubacap to begin his quest.  Certainly it will help him define his goals and it may well be all he needs to achieve them.

Tubacap

^I'm headed out into the woods for a week or so, but when I get back I'll be starting up!

Thanks for the leads guys!
NER-PA-001