Pre Shrinking BDU Tapes

Started by DC, March 24, 2008, 04:20:35 PM

DC

I have heard of pre shinking BDU tapes prior to sewing them on, to avoid those buckles and ridges when you wash them. Does anyone know how to do this?

MIKE

Put them in pocket of BDU uniform with other cloth insignia. Throw trousers and blouse in washer.
Mike Johnston

Wildblueflyer

Quote from: MIKE on March 24, 2008, 04:48:54 PM
Put them in pocket of BDU uniform with other cloth insignia. Throw trousers and blouse in washer.

:D LOL  :D :D

Eeyore

Quote from: Wildblueflyer on March 24, 2008, 05:33:29 PM
Quote from: MIKE on March 24, 2008, 04:48:54 PM

:D LOL  :D :D

I dunno about you, but that's the way I've always done it too. Why is it so funny?

cnitas

Well, I have always understood the proper way to pin the tapes and other cloth insignia to the uniform with a large safety pin and then toss the pants and shirt into the laundry. 

this leaves the tapes exposed to the maximum amount of water and warm air, resulting in maximum shrinkage.   :)
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

mikeylikey

Quote from: cnitas on March 24, 2008, 05:38:40 PM
.....resulting in maximum shrinkage. 

haha hahahaha haha haha  :P
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

Well, I have always understood the proper way to pin the tapes and other cloth insignia to the uniform with a large safety pin and then toss the pants and shirt into the laundry. 

this leaves the tapes exposed to the maximum amount of water and warm air, resulting in maximum shrinkage.   :)

They get just as much water and hot air inside the pocket as they might when pinned to the outside, and there is no chance of either the tape otr the blouse getting damaged if the pin gets caught on something. I have done that with all of my sew-on stuff in CAP, and the Navy, too.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Lancer

I just use a washable mesh garment bag, toss in, zip up, wash, dry, your done.

SarDragon

That works, too, if you just need to wash tapes. Forgot about that trick.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on March 24, 2008, 06:59:10 PM
I have done that with all of my sew-on stuff in CAP, and the Navy, too.

Same here, with CAP, Air Force, and Army.

cnitas

Quote from: SarDragon on March 24, 2008, 06:59:10 PM

They get just as much water and hot air inside the pocket as they might when pinned to the outside, and there is no chance of either the tape otr the blouse getting damaged if the pin gets caught on something. I

I know that.  I was trying to be a little bit funny since the question had already been answered.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DrDave

Don't forget to prewash/preshrink any and all other patches that will go on your BDU -- i.e. Wing patch if authorized, badges or wings, squadron patches, etc.

(I use the cotton mesh zippered bag to wash and dry my stuff.)

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."