Flight Officer / Cadet wanna be

Started by Cautious SM, January 24, 2008, 03:33:48 AM

Cautious SM

What is the proper way for me to get trained as a SM, I guess I would be a flight officer since I joined at age 18, right? I want to lean some of the cadet D&C, CPFT, things like that. Can I train with the cadets? I want to make sure I am doing things right. I know I will still need to do the SM stuff. But I have no military experience at all. How should everything be handled?

MIKE

You can still technically join as a cadet and be a participant, but if you join as an SM there is no turning back.  Otherwise start talking with your local squadrons Cadet Programs senior staff and start learning the program from that side of the coin.
Mike Johnston

LtCol Hooligan

If you have not technically joined yet and are sure you are comfortable reporting to a potentially younger cadet by all means, join as a cadet and go through the program as far as you can.  It is rare as many 18 year olds get a little nervous and self-conscious about reporting to younger cadets, but if you can hack it and work your way through the ranks, you will learn a lot.

Please don't get me wrong because there is nothing wrong with you making the decision to serve as a Flight Officer and going through that program- in fact you may make it further there as you would have the potential to earn Senior Flight Officer and get promoted to Capt at 21.  If you go that route, take some time to learn about CAP- get level 1 and all pre-reqs done.  Look for a specialty that you like and start shadowing an officer.  Since you want to learn about the cadet program, see if you can shadow the DCC or leadership officer as well and learn- enroll in the CP specialty track and start working on a few things.  If you want to learn to drill and C&C see if there is another group of officers who would like to as well.  I am starting a pilot program in my squadron where a Cadet Officer is teaching the Senior Officers how to do all of this stuff (formations, saluting, marching, c&c, uniform wear, etc). 

One thing I caution you on if you go the senior member route is to distance yourself from the cadets.  You may go to school with them, but make sure you realize you are an officer and try your best to fit in with the other officers (it is tough I know, but this is important).  Learn from the other adults and about all aspects of CAP- not just the cadet program.  You will go further and be taken more seriously as an officer from both sides of the program.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Eclipse

Have a detailed conversation with the unit CC as to what opportunities are available as a cadet vs. a senior member and make the decision based on that.

There are a few things cadets can do, or do differently, than senior members.  In case it hasn't come up, O-Flights would not be available to you as a cadet (or senior).

If you're joining for ES, there aren't really any advantages to being a cadet.

"That Others May Zoom"

capchiro

Joining as a cadet is cheaper and will get you a free uniform which isn't a bad deal.  Encampment would still be fun and it would be easier to learn drill and ceremony as a cadet than trying to find someone to teach it to you as a senior (and do it properly, that is).  Being a cadet would give you a lot of opportunity to learn about the system without the obligation of being a senior and it would let you see both sides of the program for later usage.  If you are never a cadet, then there are experiences that you just have never had. 
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Walkman

I thought that if one was 18, they had to join as a senior. We had a kid just sign up that is 18 and our CC and Chaplain both told him he had to be a senior. He was fine with that. He's still in HS, and wants to be an Army pilot, so he hangs out with the cadets right now to learn D&C and whatnot.

MIKE

Barring other disqualifying factors:

Quote from: CAPR 39-22-1. General. Cadet membership in CAP is available to all young men and women who meet the eligibility requirements outlined in paragraph 2-2. Cadets who become members before their 19th birthday may retain their cadet status until they reach 21 years of age; however, senior membership is optional for all cadets at age 18 (see paragraph 3-5 for application procedures).
Mike Johnston

RogueLeader

I believe that he will be a FO.
Quote from: safely confused on January 24, 2008, 03:33:48 AM
What is the proper way for me to get trained as a SM, I guess I would be a flight officer since I joined at age 18, right?
Bold my emphasis.  Hmmmm. . . I think it's a little late for him to be a cadet, as there is no going back.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340