Flag on the Field Jacket?

Started by pixelwonk, January 22, 2008, 06:27:18 AM

pixelwonk

So, I've got out my field jacket in light of the fact that in these temps around here, the Gore-tex just isn't cutting it for me.  But Gore-tex vs the field jacket really isn't the issue today.
Instead, I'm wondering if the "reversed" American Flag goes on the right sleeve.  I could've sworn the Field Jacket was set up exactly like the BDUs, with the exception of the epaulets, of course.  Thing is, I just can't find any documentation saying so. I've checked CAPM 39-1, the Dec 05 ICL about the flag change, and the CAP Knowledgebase, so I think I've made a pretty good effort at finding the answer to this question myself.  Still no joy.

Help a guy out with some documentation.

lordmonar

It was left out....and there is no documentation.....it's being worked on now by the IG staff.

I put the flag on my feild jacket....
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Bear Walling

Reversed flags are customarily put on the right sleeve

Brad

Quote from: mfd_324 on January 22, 2008, 09:08:56 AM
Reversed flags are customarily put on the right sleeve

Yep; that's because if the reversed flag is put on the left sleeve, it looks as if it's retreating. What do I mean? When seen on the right shoulder, the union is the leading edge, with the stripes trailing behind, as if the bearer, in this case you, were moving forward and the flag was flapping behind your advance. Now, flip this around, putting the flag on the left sleeve. Since the union is always the leading edge, the only logical way that the flag could be flapping out on the reversed patch is if you were retreating.

That's why on the flightsuit, which has a flag on the left shoulder, a normal patch is worn and not a reversed one.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

MIKE

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 2-3.7 (Field Jacket) Camouflage pattern (woodland green). Configure accouterments on
jacket the same as the BDU shirt. If field jacket has epaulets, cloth
ultramarine blue grade insignia and CAP cutouts are placed on the
epaulet. If the field jacket does not have epaulets, wear grade insignia
and CAP cutouts on the collar the same as BDU shirt.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 4-7.8 Outergarments Since the field uniform is uniquely CAP and is not a USAF clothing item, any
type cold weather outergarment may be worn. A dark blue field jacket is
available and authorized for wear. If worn, the same accouterments worn on
the field uniform shirt will be worn. An orange safety vest is authorized in
wooded areas for safety reasons.
Mike Johnston

davedove

It never explicitly says to wear the flag on the field jacket.  However, the 5 Dec 2005 letter states:

"Effective immediately cadet and senior members will wear the reverse American flag on the right shoulder of the BDU and CAP distinctive field uniform."

The entry for Field Jackets on Table 2-3 in the 39-1 states:

"Configure accouterments on jacket the same as the BDU shirt."

The combination of these two would tell me that if the flag is required on the BDU shirt, it is required on the Field Jacket.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Pylon

Our squadron owns and issues about two dozen M-65 jackets.  When the change letter came down, we interpreted it to mean if it's worn on the BDUs, it's worn on the Field Jacket.  We sewed flags on most of them.  There are a few still on hand without flags - we'll give a flag to whomever it ultimately gets issued to and they can do the sewing.   8)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

^ I Hope this is an area the Uniform Committee "cleans up".  When you have to reference 2 documents and both are not very clear, that defeats the purpose of having a uniform manual.

What's up monkeys?