Cadet Officers Wearing the Service Cap

Started by DC, January 20, 2008, 11:00:00 PM

DC

I was asked if Cadet Officers may wear the Service Cap in FLWG. I know 39-1 states that it is at the Wing CC's discretion. I looked over the Publications section of flwg.us and I can't find a supplement or Policy Letter on the subject. Am I missing something, or does FLWG not have a policy on it.

If not, does the lack of a 'no' mean that one can wear the cap.

(BTW: This was not my idea, I prefer the Flight Cap, but I said I'd find out...)

stillamarine

Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

DC

Quote from: stillamarine on January 20, 2008, 11:08:58 PM
yes they can wear it in FLWG
Is there any documentation to support this or does the lack of policy allow it?

Eclipse

Lack of policy would disallow it as 39-1 requires wing approval.

There should be a supplement somewhere.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

There was a suppliment produced by Wing Commander, Col Joe Moody. I have a copy of it somewhere. But since that time frame, it's always been assumed in Florida the service hat was authorized.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

lordmonar

Quote from: Delta Charlie on January 21, 2008, 12:41:20 AM

Common rule of thumb...that which is not forbidden is allowed.  Check with your unit commander for guidance.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Tim Medeiros

A cadet officer was at MCSS on Patrick AFB yesterday while the interim commander was there, asked me if it was allowed I said ask the wing commander as he's the only one who can authorize it.  So said cadet casually asked and the good Col said yes (according to the cadet, I didn't actually see/hear the answer).
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on January 21, 2008, 05:31:54 AM
Quote from: Delta Charlie on January 21, 2008, 12:41:20 AM

Common rule of thumb...that which is not forbidden is allowed.  Check with your unit commander for guidance.

That which is allowed is written, that which is not written is not allowed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on January 21, 2008, 03:59:58 PM
A cadet officer was at MCSS on Patrick AFB yesterday while the interim commander was there, asked me if it was allowed I said ask the wing commander as he's the only one who can authorize it.  So said cadet casually asked and the good Col said yes (according to the cadet, I didn't actually see/hear the answer).

Wing supplements to any regulation must be approved by NHQ before they are valid.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on January 21, 2008, 05:31:54 AM
Common rule of thumb...that which is not forbidden is allowed. 

That is the problem with a lot of our membership. They think that a reg has to specifically forbid something for it to be wrong. Bad idea to be pushing this concept.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Eclipse on January 21, 2008, 09:15:53 PM
Quote from: Tim Medeiros on January 21, 2008, 03:59:58 PM

Wing supplements to any regulation must be approved by NHQ before they are valid.
I must have missed the part in CAPM39-1 that said wing commanders must publish a supplement in order to authorize the items in which they are allowed to authorize.
1577/2811

SarDragon

How else is any wing policy going to be implemented?

Also, from CAPM 39-1, pg 13, note 3:
Region commanders must approve items authorized by wing commanders in coordination with National Headquarters.

That would imply something formal, and according to CAPR 5-4, a supplement is the correct vehicle.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Tim Medeiros

A simple memorandum to the membership would suffice as long as the prior coordination with region and national was done and stated so in the memo.

MEMORANDUM FOR: XXWG MEMBERS

All cadet officers are hereby authorized to wear the service cap, this has been coordinated and approved in accordance with CAPM39-1.

JOHN SMITH, Col, CAP
Commander
XX Wing

doesn't have to be a long drawn out supplement or such, just gotta think outside of the box on some of these things.
1577/2811

mikeylikey

Doesn't 39-1 allow Cadets to wear the service cap?  Or am I missing where it says Wing Commanders must authorize it?

What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Figure 2-26.1. Service Cap: Optional for senior members. May be authorized by wing commander for cadet
officers. Normally worn with service dress uniform. Cadet NCOs and airmen will not wear the
service cap (Exception see Chapter 3). Cap will not be crushed. Large senior member or cadet
officer satin finish cap device (with post and screw back) is worn center front. General officers
wear a cap with three sets of clouds and lightning on cap bill. Senior member Major through
Colonel wear caps with two sets of clouds and lightning on the cap bill. All others wear caps with a
plain bill.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Figure 2-28.1. Service Cap: Optional for senior members. May be authorized by wing commanders for cadet
officers. Cadet NCOs and airmen will not wear the service cap (Exception see Chapter 3). Cap will
not be crushed. Large senior member or cadet officer satin finish cap device with double clutch back
(without post and screw back) is worn center front. General officers wear a cap with three sets of
clouds and lightning on cap band. Senior member Major through Colonel wear caps with two sets of
clouds and lightning on the cap band. All others wear caps with a plain band
Mike Johnston

brasda91

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011