Main Menu

DRMO

Started by SSgt Rudin, January 17, 2008, 05:24:37 AM

SSgt Rudin

Does any one know the policy on CAP squadrons using DRMO to get uniform items? I would just go to the "thrift store" but Patrick AFB doesn't have one any more.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Eclipse

Squadrons can't directly.

Only specifically trained, authorized, and appointed members may interact with the DRMO, generally members of the LG staff.

I also believe that screened out of DRMO must be approved by the State Director as well.

What you have to do is submit your needs/requests/wish lists to the Wing LG.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Contact your Wing LG. 

CAP now can screen online through the DRMO portal.  Why every wing is not screening yet or taking materials is amazing. 
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

My experience with DRMO uniform items has been less than satisfactory. The last load I got, about five years ago, was about 2/3 crap, 1/6 usable for grubbies in the field, and 1/6 useful for any environment.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sfdefender

You might have better luck suggesting to your State Director that he/she make friends with your local Air National Guard Base (if they haven't already). Most of the bases have a centralized clothing issue point where Guardsmen go in and trade in their older uniforms for a new set.  The old uniforms (most gently used) often get donated to local agencies such as Sheriff's/State Police. I am not totally sure of the local ANG policy on this, but my wing has been getting ANG uniforms for decades. Only problem now is that the BDUs are going away. 

CS

I think you will find DRMO does not have uniforms any longer.  For sanitary reasons, uniforms are not turned in any longer.

mikeylikey

Quote from: SarDragon on January 17, 2008, 05:44:24 AM
My experience with DRMO uniform items has been less than satisfactory. The last load I got, about five years ago, was about 2/3 crap, 1/6 usable for grubbies in the field, and 1/6 useful for any environment.

That was totally the fault of the CAP members assigned to screen and draw those uniforms.  You can easily sort through DRMO boxes of uniforms. 

Quote from: CS on January 17, 2008, 01:17:57 PM
I think you will find DRMO does not have uniforms any longer.  For sanitary reasons, uniforms are not turned in any longer.

Really......Mine still does, and in fact I just looked at a few boxes of BDU's sitting in the ROTC supply room that are going there in 1 month.  YES......I already asked CAP SQD's in the area if they wanted them, most turned me down with a laugh, so I do what I can.
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 17, 2008, 02:45:36 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 17, 2008, 05:44:24 AM

That was totally the fault of the CAP members assigned to screen and draw those uniforms.  You can easily sort through DRMO boxes of uniforms. 

Quote from: CS on January 17, 2008, 01:17:57 PM

Really......Mine still does, and in fact I just looked at a few boxes of BDU's sitting in the ROTC supply room that are going there in 1 month.  YES......I already asked CAP SQD's in the area if they wanted them, most turned me down with a laugh, so I do what I can.

Again, five years ago: stuff comes in lots - you want something in a lot, you take it all.  No cherrypicking. There was no attempt on the part of DRMO to presort uniforms by quality. They'd get a bunch from a source, box/palletize them, and put them on the block.

Another problem with DRMO stuff in general - whatever yiu don't want is supposed to turned back in to them accompanied by the appropriate paperwork. I've usually found it more trouble than it's worth for the limited amount of usable gear you end up with.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

brasda91

Quote from: sfdefender on January 17, 2008, 12:41:25 PM
You might have better luck suggesting to your State Director that he/she make friends with your local Air National Guard Base (if they haven't already). Most of the bases have a centralized clothing issue point where Guardsmen go in and trade in their older uniforms for a new set.  The old uniforms (most gently used) often get donated to local agencies such as Sheriff's/State Police. I am not totally sure of the local ANG policy on this, but my wing has been getting ANG uniforms for decades. Only problem now is that the BDUs are going away. 

We meet at the old VA clinic, on the same property of a NG armory.  The other day I had stopped by the sqd to take a few commo photos and the NG supply sgt had 2 boxes of BDUs for us.  He told us when the solider gets new ACUs or ets', he asks the soldier if he/she wants to keep them or donate them to CAP.  Everybody is donating them to us.  It also helps that our Chaplain is filling in for them, so we (CAP) have a pretty good relationship with them.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011