Wear of squadron cap out of uniform?

Started by tjaxe, January 13, 2008, 08:19:28 PM

tjaxe

Our squadron has an orange baseball cap with the squadron number on it.  Are such squadron caps only to be worn while on official CAP activities, and in uniform, or can it be worn at any time?

Thanks.

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

RiverAux

Is this an item of clothing authorized specifically by a wing supplement to 39-1?  Or, is it something your unit made up on its own and actually isn't properly authorized? 

tjaxe

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

RiverAux

It does make a difference.  Unfortunately CAP does have a history of units wearing clothing items that actually aren't authorized as they were supposed to have been.  If these are unauthorized hats, you're totally free to wear them since they actually aren't CAP uniform items. 

If they are authorized uniform items, I would say that they shouldn't be worn off duty any more than you would wear your BDU shirt off duty. 

_

Your profile says you live in Pennsylvania so I'm assuming your squadron is in PAWG.  If so, it's the hat everyone in PA wing wears so I'm pretty sure there's a supplement to 39-1.

BlueLakes1

Quote from: RiverAux on January 13, 2008, 08:27:09 PM
It does make a difference.  Unfortunately CAP does have a history of units wearing clothing items that actually aren't authorized as they were supposed to have been.  If these are unauthorized hats, you're totally free to wear them since they actually aren't CAP uniform items. 

If they are authorized uniform items, I would say that they shouldn't be worn off duty any more than you would wear your BDU shirt off duty. 

Unit ball caps don't require authorization by wing supplement, unit commanders authorize them. Ref: CAPM 39-1, Figure 2-26, Note 4, Figure 2-28, Note 4, and Table 2-3 (6).
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

RiverAux

That is true and I had forgotten about it, but unit operating instructions (not supplements) do have to be reviewed by the Wing Commander. While the WC doesn't have to approve them, if he doesn't like them he can order the squadron commander to change it. 

It does bring up a 39-1 conflict that I'll mention in that thread.   

mikeylikey

Anyone catch the latest Volunteer issue, with the PAWG Ranger wearing his orange "keystone" hat with metal rank attached.  That is clearly in violation of 39-1.  What, rules don't apply to Rangers these days??  The guy looked silly to begin with, wearing all that Ranger garb.
What's up monkeys?

Well since it is orange and most authorizations for orange hats are for ES purposes  I would assume that these should only be worn with the BDUs when on an ES activity otherwise it has no functional purpose. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Eclipse

Quote from: Redfire11 on January 13, 2008, 08:43:52 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 13, 2008, 08:27:09 PM

Unit ball caps don't require authorization by wing supplement, unit commanders authorize them. Ref: CAPM 39-1, Figure 2-26, Note 4, Figure 2-28, Note 4, and Table 2-3 (6).

Some wings have local policies which require Wing CC to approve the hat.

"That Others May Zoom"

captrncap

Are you asking if a Orange hat with a Number on it, can be worn off duty?

How can anyone stop that person?

I can buy a Orange hat at a mall and put a number on it and that doesn't make it a uniform...

RiverAux

Physically, no one can stop you, but I would hope that CAP regulations mean at least a little to CAP members. 

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on January 13, 2008, 09:01:47 PM
That is true and I had forgotten about it, but unit operating instructions (not supplements) do have to be reviewed by the Wing Commander.

Sorry...no they don't.

Quote from: RiverAux on January 13, 2008, 09:01:47 PM
While the WC doesn't have to approve them, if he doesn't like them he can order the squadron commander to change it. 

But this is true.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

QuoteQuote from: RiverAux on Today at 03:01:47 PM
That is true and I had forgotten about it, but unit operating instructions (not supplements) do have to be reviewed by the Wing Commander.

Sorry...no they don't.
Please take a look at CAPR 5-4:
Quote3. Supplements, Operating Instructions (OI) and Pamphlets. Supplements, OIs and pamphlets may be issued by any level of command unless specifically limited or prohibited by the regulation or manual governing the publication's subject matter. See attachment 1 and attachment 2 for proper formats. The following responsibilities relate to the management of supplements, OIs and pamphlets:
a. Commanders.
(1) Commanders are encouraged to keep the number of publications issued by their headquarters to the absolute minimum needed for mission accomplishment and must promptly rescind those publications that are no longer needed or have been superseded. When the parent publication of a supplement or OI is revised/reissued, commanders must ensure the supplement or OI is revised and re-approved, if required, or rescinded with 6 months of the new parent publication's issue. Publications will not conflict with higher headquarters directives. Commanders must also ensure that when publishing supplements operating instructions and pamphlets that the content only pertains to those personnel within his/her purview. In addition, a copy of each publication must be forwarded to the next higher level of command for review immediately upon publication.
Well, a squadron OI would have to go either to the Group or Wing Commander, depending on how your Wing is structured.