Coverall / Utility Uniform

Started by BigMojo, January 09, 2008, 02:58:06 PM

BigMojo

I have a feeling I may have to do this but I'm going to put this out there anyways...

What is the viability of the coverall uniform for UDF missions? I'm looking for the best option for something that can live folded up in my truck and be ready to go. The problem is that I'd like something for those missions you get while at work, and need to go on a moment's notice. It would be nice to throw a coverall over my jeans, swap for a white tshirt and be good to go.

I don't live near work, or near our squadron, so not having to run home to put on the BDUs would be great. I know the Polo/Gray combo is out there, but I'm looking to not have to run into a bathroom and pull a Super Man uniform change. Plus I would think a coverall would be more durable than the gray dress pants. Take into account I'm in Florida, so cold weather isn't really an issue. Of course if this a full-on ground team mission in the swamp, that's a different story, and would require the BDU's. I'm thinking of this just for pounding the streets, marinas, and ramps.

Open and awaiting everyone's $0.02 / personal solutions.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

ddelaney103

I believe the utility jumpsuit is the perfect choice for what you're doing.  As long as you're not going into the wilderness, it makes a great "leave in the trunk" suit.

davedove

From CAPM 39-1, Section 4-2.a.

Utility Uniform: The CAP utility uniform is an optional uniform that may be worn by both cadets and senior members for flying activities or any time the field uniform would be worn.

So the Utility Uniform (the blue coveralls) is authorized for either flying or field, and as such is perfect for what you're asking.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Stonewall

As goofy as it sounds and as much as my fellow former cadets of the 80s would have beaten me up for thinking such a thing, I used  to have a "Smurf Suit" for the same thing back in the day (which was a Wednesday by the way).

A guy that lived in my neighborhood was some sort of technical rescue guy for the City FD and even had some 4X4 city emergency truck so he could respond.  He wore this cool looking jump suit that looked like the "smurf suit", no kidding.  So I  got one, sewed on my patches to include, at the time, the blue/white "EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES - FIRST RESPONDER" patch.

My senior year I had a blue Bronco II where I kept all my VFD and CAP SAR gear.  No, I wasn't spoiled, I worked while I went to school and it only cost $6K with a payment of $130 a month.  Anyway, got called once for a non-distress ELT mission and luckily had my BDUs with me, but I almost wore my smurf suit.  A senior showed up wearing one and everyone laughed.....that could have been me.

Sorry, long answer and story for a short response:  YES!  It's a good idea.
Serving since 1987.

JohnKachenmeister

The blue utility isn't too bad... it looks like a dark blue flight suit.

The Smurf Suit was a terrible uniform.  It was the color of a 1970's pimp's car interior and looked like you were going to be the grand marshall of the Gay Pride Parade.

The only uniform in our history which was worse was the Guyaberra Shirt, also known as the Mexican Wedding Shirt.  It was all white, had the same cut as a Hawaiian Hula shirt but without the cool colors, and looked like it should never be worn off the sugar plantation.
Another former CAP officer

BigMojo

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 09, 2008, 05:02:56 PM
The only uniform in our history which was worse was the Guyaberra Shirt, also known as the Mexican Wedding Shirt.  It was all white, had the same cut as a Hawaiian Hula shirt but without the cool colors, and looked like it should never be worn off the sugar plantation.

What's wrong with Guyaberras??? Here in TP land they're high fashion! (Joke...Laugh everyone...keep breathing!)

I looked at 39-1 and there is no imagery of the Utility uniform...does it need to be "patched/taped" like a flight suit or like BDUs?
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

JayT

Quote from: BigMojo on January 09, 2008, 05:56:53 PM

What's wrong with Guyaberras??? Here in TP land they're high fashion! (Joke...Laugh everyone...keep breathing!)

I looked at 39-1 and there is no imagery of the Utility uniform...does it need to be "patched/taped" like a flight suit or like BDUs?

There's a picture of it in the Corporate uniform section.

It's identical to the flight suit, except the flight cap isn't authorized. Either a CAP baseball cap or no hat is permitted. Any black shoes or boots are authorized, as is a white or black tee shirt.

Either a civilian jacket or the blue flight jacket is authorized as overwear.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

pixelwonk

http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_082203102943.pdf  Page 78

Word of caution, the thing will probably not fit well if you're tall.
What Vanguard sells is not what's pictured in the manual, but it's close enough.

BigMojo

So it needs to be outfitted like a zoom bag...leather name patch, command patch, etc. No name tapes like BDUs
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

pixelwonk

Quote from: BigMojo on January 09, 2008, 08:45:14 PM
So it needs to be outfitted like a zoom bag...leather name patch, command patch, etc. No name tapes like BDUs
yes.

FYI: On the utility uniform, (as well as the blue nomex bag) you have the option of wearing embroidered grade insignia on a navy colored background, or plastic-encased grade insignia.

Also remember the correctly facing flag patch.  [not reverse]

BigMojo

You cannot do a GTM specialty badge on the leather tag though, correct?
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

Gunner C

The blue utility isn't too bad... it looks like a dark blue flight suit.

The Smurf Suit was a terrible uniform.  It was the color of a 1970's pimp's car interior and looked like you were going to be the grand marshall of the Gay Pride Parade.

As a group commander, I FORBADE the wearing of the Smurf suit.  It was a HORRIBLE, UGLY, UNUSEABLE, UNPROFESSIONAL uniform ABOMINATION.  It was a bit too garish for gay pride parade.

Just a gentle opinion.  :angel:

MIKE

Quote from: BigMojo on January 09, 2008, 09:35:52 PM
You cannot do a GTM specialty badge on the leather tag though, correct?

I think that was authorized by the NB at the same time U.S. CIVIL AIR PATROL came out.

Edit:  See here
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

I just got my new tags with GBD - they look real sharp. (used an alternate vendor)

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

I prefer wearing the utility uniform eather than the blue BDUs. Considering that the utility uniform and dark blue flight suit are nearly identical,  I'm not going to cringe, gnash my teeth or have kittens sideways if someone wears a flight cap with it. (I do it all the time unless I'm on the flight line.)

Wear of the flight cap should be extended to the utility uniform in the next reissue of 39-1.

BTW (and this is my personal preference) - don't buy the utility uniform from Vanguard or The Hock. For the same price, you can get the Tru-Spec coverall. Better material (same weight as the Nomex except for it's not) and metal zippers. Only difference is that it's a cross between the aborted McPeak style flight suit and current issue. It has side entry 'happy pockets' which the USAF-issue bag doesn't have.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

This is actually the first time I have heard any sort of rational reason to have this uniform in the inventory.  Being able to just slip it on (and assuming you have the appropriate footwear in your car) and start the mission is somewhat more practical than having one of the others, all of which require complete clothes changes. 

Sure you could do it with the flight suit, but this is cheaper (by $225 if you look at the dark blue nomex from Vanguard) since you're not buying the nomex. 

Although if you meet AF standards you could probably get a non-nomex flight suit for the same price to serve this purpose and look Air Forcey. 

I wouldn't mind wearing either for anything but hard core ground team in an time critical situation.  I might have to consider getting one or two to stash in the cars. 

BigMojo

That's kind of the rationale I was running on...I wear plain black shoes to work everyday, so for the quick UDF missions tracking down a discarded EPIRB or ramp checking for a hard landed cessna, I'd think it would work great.

I'd like to see them change to use name tapes like BDU's because I don't really care to look like a pilot... Name tapes at an angle following the cut of the chest pockets would look slick... (pipedream concluded)
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

ddelaney103

Just remember to leave a t-shirt, socks and shoes in the trunk as well - if you get called on the way to some "Hawaiian shirt and sandals" party, you'll need them.

mikeylikey

Quote from: ddelaney103 on January 10, 2008, 07:10:23 PM
if you get called on the way to some "Hawaiian shirt and sandals" party, you'll need them.

Thats my favorite kind of party!
What's up monkeys?

BigMojo

If I'm not at work, I'm usually in flip-flops, no party needed...no hawaiian shirts though. ::)
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

JRChristenson

I really like my utility uniform.  I was lucky so I got one that fits well and doesn't look like a clown suit.  It's comfortable and convenient, and you can put on your ground team rating instead of wings.  I wore mine through an entire SAREX weekend and my only complaint was that it wasn't as sturdy as BDU's when I hit a thorn bush, and I missed some of the pockets.
Jonathan Christenson, 1st Lt, CAP
Springfield Regional Composite Squadron NCR-MO-070