Question about the Service Hat

Started by flyguy06, January 07, 2008, 03:31:25 PM

flyguy06

Ok, so I got promoted to MAJ a few weeks ago right before encampment. I bought the Service Hat (Thats the round bus driver looking hat) from an Army-Navy store for a whooping $85( I couldnt believe it was that muc for a used hat) It had the silver chin strap and I assumed it was because it was a field grade officers hat.

So fast forward to parade day at the encampment, The Region CC attended wearing his Service hat. he had a black chin strap. So now I am wondering who is correct. For a minute I thought maybe the silver strap was for honor gurad people. But who ver heard of a Filed Grade officer on an honor guard?

So my question is for a Field Grade officer service hat do I wear the black chin strap or the silver chin strap?

Stonewall

I don't know about the silver braid, but I do know that I would have spent $85 on something more important, like ammo, shoe laces, McDonald's, or the 4th season of CSI: Miami.

Here's a pic of some AF officers with Honor Guard in the back.  Compare the hats.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Do you wear the AF-style uniform, or the Corporate Uniform (TPU)?  AF-style = black. Corporate = silver.
Mike Johnston

flyguy06

Hey, I like the rouind hat better than the flight cap.

flyguy06

Quote from: MIKE on January 07, 2008, 03:37:50 PM
Do you wear the AF-style uniform, or the Corporate Uniform (TPU)?  AF-style = black. Corporate = silver.

I am a fit and trimmilitary officer. I only wear military uniforms. But I bought the hat at an Army navy store. So it is a legitimate USAF Hat. So why did it have a silver chin strap

flyguy06

Quote from: Stonewall on January 07, 2008, 03:37:05 PM
I don't know about the silver braid, but I do know that I would have spent $85 on something more important, like ammo, shoe laces, McDonald's, or the 4th season of CSI: Miami.

Here's a pic of some AF officers with Honor Guard in the back.  Compare the hats.

Ok, thanks. So I guess I was wrong. I 'm not to big toadmit it. I just wonder where this hat came from.

LtCol White

If you're a major, did u get the hat with the farts & darts? All USAF service hats should have the black chinstrap.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

BillB

At base clothings sales that hat sels for $49.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pylon

...and $52.95 from AAFES by Phone for CAP members.  Gotta shop around.

As for the chin strap, I have always seen it as a black strap for AF field-grade and general officers.  However, as was pointed out above, for Civil Air Patrol's purposes:

Corporate Service Uniform = silver strap
AF-style service uniform = black strap
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 07, 2008, 03:31:25 PMI bought the Service Hat (Thats the round bus driver looking hat) from an Army-Navy store for a whooping $85( I couldnt believe it was that muc for a used hat).

And I thought you got ripped off before I read this...

Quote from: Pylon on January 07, 2008, 05:06:44 PM
...and $52.95 from AAFES by Phone for CAP members.  Gotta shop around.

Trust me.  You do not need the service cap.  You may want it, but you do not need it.
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

The silver chin strap may have been because it was an Honor Guard or band hat.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on January 08, 2008, 12:19:32 AM
The silver chin strap may have been because it was an Honor Guard or band hat.

I remember back in the days when there was an AFR 35-10, a silver chinstrap was worn with the semi-formal uniform, if the member chose to wear the headgear. Not many people even knew it was even authorized, I only knew because I read 35-10, cover to cover, several times in a row so I wouldn't miss anything.

I don't know anyone that ever wore a hat with semi-formal, but it was never an option that appeared in the AFI 36-2903.

ddelaney103

HG officers, bands and Arlington chaplains wear the cap with the silver strap.

Since those things come right off, it might be a mod for a play of something.

Just say no to (amazingly overpriced) bus driver's hats.