Wearing of Specialty Track Badges

Started by jason.pennington, January 03, 2008, 02:41:42 PM

jason.pennington

Has anyone noticed that when looking at someone wearing more than one specialty badge on their shirts, they look like a Chilean General?  I am sure this post probably belongs someplace else, but....

You are allowed to wear a SB above your nameplate on the blue dress jacket.  That is the same location as the Command Badges.  That spot should be reserved ONLY for command badges.  I think 1 SB is plenty.  Afterall, the Leadership Ribbon allows up to 3 devices to denote different tracks.  Obviously the devices do not denote the track completed, like the badges do.

Also, since being a commander, on any level, can sometimes be considered arduous duty, I think after you have passed on (the mantle of command) you should be authorized to wear the command badge under your ribbons, on the pocket flap -- like the Navy, or however the Air Force does it -- if they do.

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: jason.pennington on January 03, 2008, 02:41:42 PM
Also, since being a commander, on any level, can sometimes be considered arduous duty, I think after you have passed on (the mantle of command) you should be authorized to wear the command badge under your ribbons, on the pocket flap -- like the Navy, or however the Air Force does it -- if they do.

But we already have the Command Service Ribbon to denote past command.  Why more bling?

jason.pennington

The Command Service Ribbon is fine for those that served at least 12 months.  I served as the Sq CC for 10 months, and because of my job, was transferred across the country 10 months into my tenure.  Granted this does not happen very often to people.

Whether or not we allow the CB to be worn after serving, I still feel that 1 SB is plenty to wear and the site above the nameplate should still be reserved for those that have volunteered to be a key player in our organization.

Pylon

Quote from: jason.pennington on January 03, 2008, 03:58:53 PM
The Command Service Ribbon is fine for those that served at least 12 months.  I served as the Sq CC for 10 months, and because of my job, was transferred across the country 10 months into my tenure.  Granted this does not happen very often to people

Sounds like you may be a good candidate for other recognition through a Commander's Commendation or other suitable award, however.

In any case, yes - it has been recommended before that the Command Badge be eligible for wear below the nameplate following a command, but that doesn't mean if it is enacted that it too would not have a 12-month requirement.  If the past-command wear of the badge proposal is enacted, the Command Service ribbon would likely be phased out.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: jason.pennington on January 03, 2008, 03:58:53 PM
The Command Service Ribbon is fine for those that served at least 12 months.  I served as the Sq CC for 10 months, and because of my job, was transferred across the country 10 months into my tenure.  Granted this does not happen very often to people.

Whether or not we allow the CB to be worn after serving, I still feel that 1 SB is plenty to wear and the site above the nameplate should still be reserved for those that have volunteered to be a key player in our organization.

Why should that location be reserved for just a command badge? If you can't tell the difference between a command badge and a specialty badge, it won't really make any difference.

The command badge is reserved for those who have held command. No reason to block out a whole location on the uniform just for them. It's unnecessary.

Stonewall

Quote from: jason.pennington on January 03, 2008, 02:41:42 PMAfterall, the Leadership Ribbon allows up to 3 devices to denote different tracks.  Obviously the devices do not denote the track completed, like the badges do.

We've been doing this for a long time.

Cadets:  Rank and ribbon for each achievement.

NCSA:  Patch and ribbon for attendance, unless you go to NBB, then you get 4 things; beret, patch, ribbon and a slight swagger.  Or HMRS with the Patch, ribbon, orange hat, scarf, belt, whistle, attitude.

CAC:  Ribbon and shoulder cord.

It's just what we do.  Not saying I agree, but hey, Big Blue does it....

AF Security Forces:  Beret, skill badge, police shield.
Serving since 1987.

SAR-EMT1

As far as Specialty tracks go, the guys in my unit  wear the Track badge in which they have the highest rating or are most active. We dont wear more then one.

Personally, I wouldnt mind the badges being decolored. Silver works for the USAF, it can work for us. All the technicolor items look unprofessional IMHO.
( I feel the same about patches)

YMMV
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Hawk200

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 04, 2008, 08:47:32 AM
As far as Specialty tracks go, the guys in my unit  wear the Track badge in which they have the highest rating or are most active. We dont wear more then one.

Personally, I wouldnt mind the badges being decolored. Silver works for the USAF, it can work for us. All the technicolor items look unprofessional IMHO.
( I feel the same about patches)

YMMV

Removing the color would probably make them harder to differentiate. In the current location, they're alright. Besides, it's unique to us. A few differences from the regular AF uniform probably serves us better.