Cold Weather Uniform Items

Started by Capt M. Sherrod, December 31, 2007, 02:34:21 PM

pixelwonk

The ECWCS thread has evolved somewhat, so I'm shifting the topic title into general cold weather items.

floridacyclist

We could evolve it even more.....It seems that boonie hats would fit right into this discussion if we were talking "Extreme weather" instead of just cold.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Pylon

Quote from: floridacyclist on January 02, 2008, 05:09:28 PM
We could evolve it even more.....It seems that boonie hats would fit right into this discussion if we were talking "Extreme weather" instead of just cold.

Except here's one big difference.  Parts of the ECWCS have already been approved by USAF for CAP wear, and the other parts would likely be approved if asked. 

However, CAP already asked for authorization for the boonie hat and was told "No" in no uncertain terms - safety item, uniform item, or otherwise.  It's a moot point to discuss it (even though we have discussed it in depth before on CAPTalk).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

Lets get the Army black fleece added to the inventory!  It is readily available and is relatively inexpensive.  Under $60.00  If worn only under the parka, great, if worn as a stand alone item great too.
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Were there any pants, or " accessories " that went along with the M-65?

I have the parka but this weather is leaving the rest of me a bit cold (wind chill today is almost Zero)

*I currently wear a black watch cap with it, along with plain black gloves.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

Yes.....there were inserts for the cold weather BDU pants.  I believe they either snapped in at the waist or were buttons.  It has been years since I have seen them!
What's up monkeys?

JayT

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 02, 2008, 08:25:11 PM
Yes.....there were inserts for the cold weather BDU pants.  I believe they either snapped in at the waist or were buttons.  It has been years since I have seen them!

I have a pair, they have a snap and draw string at the waist, and zipper and velcro down at the bottem.

I also have a fleece that patterned after the parka ('pit zippers')
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

MIKE

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 02, 2008, 08:21:22 PM

I have the parka but this weather is leaving the rest of me a bit cold (wind chill today is almost Zero)

M65 trousers with button in quilted liner... You can also attach the M51 hood to it, but I haven't seen that item in woodland... Only OD.  Then there are those pile helmet liners you see all the time.
Mike Johnston

Hoser

I learned by living in Alaska, you dress for function, not form. The regs be [darn]ed, I'm not risking frostbite or hypothermia on anyone's account. We can sort it out later

JayT

Quote from: MIKE on January 02, 2008, 11:21:11 PM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 02, 2008, 08:21:22 PM

M65 trousers with button in quilted liner... You can also attach the M51 hood to it, but I haven't seen that item in woodland... Only OD.  Then there are those pile helmet liners you see all the time.

Where can you get a pair?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Capt M. Sherrod

I have only been able to find them in the UK and at that only up to a size 42" waist.  Most of them are in W/L Camo.  All I typed in was M65 Trousers.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

MIKE

Sportsman's Guide Had some knock offs without the liner not long ago...  They look like standard BDU trou but have snap flaps over the hip pockets.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on January 03, 2008, 10:09:57 PM
Sportsman's Guide Had some knock offs without the liner not long ago...  They look like standard BDU trou but have snap flaps over the hip pockets.

Actually, they probably weren't knock-offs. The cold weather trouser actually had snaps over the pockets. They were probably selling the last batch ever made.

TDHenderson

I have one pair of the inserts but have yet to find pants to suit.  I will probably add the needed buttons to a pair of BDU trousers I have already so I can use them.   

SAR-EMT1

I googled the M65 pants with no luck. I did see some pants that I guess were part of ECWCS.. cost over one hundred.

I have the M65 will not get ECWCS, and would REALLY like some pants or something. .... grumble
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

CASH172

Can I ask why everyone is so hell bent on getting the M-65 Pants.  What's wrong with the current Gore-tex ones with the ECWCS?

mikeylikey

^ Spot light on you Cadet!  You hit it straight on.  Why step back 30 years instead of stepping into the 21st century with Gor-Tex pants on??

What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Basic answer: Cost!

Heck I got the M65 jacket for twenty dollars in "BRAND NEW" condition. Mil-spec, army issue and hadnt been worn ever.

A ECWCS jacket costs several hundred. I feel confidant in assuming that the same could be said of the pants.

Im a guy in my twenties with a college loan and other expenses, and a job that provides only minimum wage despite being in the medical field. At this point in my life cost is everything unfortunately.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Hawk200

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 04, 2008, 06:56:33 AM
Basic answer: Cost!

Try eBay. You wouldn't believe the MOLLE rucksack I just got in the mail today. About a $300 ruck system with a main pack, sleeping bag carrier, two sustainment packs, radio pouch, full frame. Picked it up for $35, plus $14 shipping.

Used, but in real good shape. Might retire my old ALICE ruck. She was dependable, but this new ruck is pretty sweet.

JayT

Quote from: CASH172 on January 04, 2008, 05:22:34 AM
Can I ask why everyone is so hell bent on getting the M-65 Pants.  What's wrong with the current Gore-tex ones with the ECWCS?

Maybe............Just maybe................I own them, and I am unsatishfied with them. Maybe........I'm looking for an alternative..........

You approve, I hope?