Main Menu

V-Clasp

Started by chiles, December 28, 2007, 02:55:49 PM

JohnKachenmeister

In the box:

The hourglass is for either 30 years on the Armed Forces Reserve Medal (bronze hourglass for 20), the stars are for separate campaigns on a service medal, the swords and the palm tree go on the Liberation of Kuwait medal, and the oak leaf clusters (2 shown) denote successive awards of the same medal.  The numeral "7" is used on the Air Medal to denote successive awards.
Another former CAP officer

SJFedor

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 29, 2007, 01:53:27 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 29, 2007, 12:18:08 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 29, 2007, 12:04:35 AM
Okay, I looked at 39-3 and there are no V-clasps on the CAP medals of valor and there aren't any other Vs on CAP ribbons, so the silver V must be a mistake as far as CAP is concerned.

However, it does bring up one mistake in 39-3.  Attachment A2-4 pictures devices for CAP ribbons and they left out the V. 

Since the V on the CAP DR ribbon has nothing at all to do with valor and since that device is firmly established as being for valor on military ribbons, shouldn't we consider changing it to something else?  We use stars a lot, and a bronze star would serve the purpose just as well. 

I agree, the "V" device has too much of a solemn meaning in the US military.  There are no shortages of devices that could go there that would have an independence CAP meaning.

The "W" is for "Wintered Over" on the Antarctic Service Medal, the little C-54 is for serving on the Berlin Airlift and goes on the Medal for Humane Action (which is different from the Humanitarian Service Medal), the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor is worn by Navy folk who served with the Marines and is worn on the service ribbon, but what are the others for?

I like the hourglass, and think it should be the new device. You know, for all those "hurry up and wait" moments  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JohnKachenmeister

The "E" is the Navy "E" for effiency, but I don't know what ribbon it goes on.  Back in the days of wooden ships and iron men we wore the "E" as a sew-on device on the right sleeve.

Flying Pig

It goes on the Navy Battle "E" ribbon.

Kinda looks like the Purple Heart.   (Thats not my rack)

Major Carrales

These were just examples I could quickly find on line to show that there are alternatives.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

Mike Johnston

chiles

As the original poster, I appreciate all the research. I'll send an e-mail to the Hockshop to let them know the error. Also, I'd rather see a chance in the device to a star as well. I don't feel all that comfortable wearing something that a lot of other people had to bleed to get. Katrina was described as a warzone, and I was shot at, but I don't think it qualifies as combat!
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

JohnKachenmeister

I would love to know what #2078 is for!  It looks like the Iron Cross.  It would go very well with my TPU now that I have adopted the "Hermann Goring Look."  A "Blue Max" for 20 finds, maybe?

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 29, 2007, 03:23:51 PM
I would love to know what #2078 is for!  It looks like the Iron Cross.  It would go very well with my TPU now that I have adopted the "Hermann Goring Look."  A "Blue Max" for 20 finds, maybe?

Can't you see, that is for when people "get cross" with you.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 29, 2007, 06:12:32 PM

That joke was even bad by YOUR standards, Sparky! :P

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 30, 2007, 04:49:24 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 29, 2007, 06:12:32 PM

That joke was even bad by YOUR standards, Sparky! :P

Thanks, that made me chuckle a bit.  It was either that joke or...

QuoteSorry, Kach, I didn't want to oberst your bubble.

Man, talk about no respect for your favorite sidekick. ;)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Pylon

They already have "M", "E", "V" and numerals devices in use and production.  Why not a "P"?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

pixelwonk

They make "O" already.
O for "operational" wouldn't be too far of a stretch for those who are awarded the ribbon for a Prez-declared disaster.

SAR-EMT1

Im struggling to recall, but doesnt the CG Aux use the "V" on a ribbon?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

pixelwonk

the Auxiliary Examinations Service Award may be awarded with a V, according to http://www.medals.lava.pl/us/uschk.htm.

sardak

How about just a big 1, since that's what everyone calls a presidential declared disaster anyway? ;D

Mike

MIKE

Quote from: tedda on January 02, 2008, 06:39:29 AM
the Auxiliary Examinations Service Award may be awarded with a V, according to http://www.medals.lava.pl/us/uschk.htm.

You didn't quote the AUXMAN... You phail.  :D

Quote from: COMDTINST M16790.1FA.10.b. Award Elements The awards use the old AMOS ribbons with an additional device to distinguish the
new system from the discontinued awards and will include a miniature medal with
device and citation. Multiple awards for subsequent years are indicated by adding
3/16-inch bronze or silver stars. One award in each category may be issued to an
Auxiliarist each calendar year, as the award is earned. The Annual Performance
Auxiliary Recruiting Service Award uses the same ribbon as the discontinued
AMOS Member Resources Award with an "S" device, the Auxiliary VE/RBSVP
Service Award uses the discontinued AMOS VE ribbon with a "V" device, the
Auxiliary PE Service Award uses the discontinued AMOS PE ribbon with an "E"
device, and the Auxiliary Operations Service Award uses the discontinued AMOS
Operations ribbon with either an "O" or "S" device as prescribed below (only one
device may be worn, and the "O" device takes precedence). Auxiliarists may
continue to wear the old AMOS ribbons previously earned. When a new ribbon of
that same category is awarded under the new system, only the new Annual
Performance Service ribbon (with associated device) is worn. For example, when
earned, the Annual Performance Auxiliary Recruiting Service Award with an "S"
device replaces the wearing of the discontinued AMOS Member Resources Award
Mike Johnston

pixelwonk

whatever.  As of two days ago, I''ve ceased to be an Auxman myself.  :P

Cecil DP

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 29, 2007, 01:53:27 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 29, 2007, 12:18:08 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 29, 2007, 12:04:35 AM
Okay, I looked at 39-3 and there are no V-clasps on the CAP medals of valor and there aren't any other Vs on CAP ribbons, so the silver V must be a mistake as far as CAP is concerned.

However, it does bring up one mistake in 39-3.  Attachment A2-4 pictures devices for CAP ribbons and they left out the V. 

Since the V on the CAP DR ribbon has nothing at all to do with valor and since that device is firmly established as being for valor on military ribbons, shouldn't we consider changing it to something else?  We use stars a lot, and a bronze star would serve the purpose just as well. 

I agree, the "V" device has too much of a solemn meaning in the US military.  There are no shortages of devices that could go there that would have an independence CAP meaning.

The "W" is for "Wintered Over" on the Antarctic Service Medal, the little C-54 is for serving on the Berlin Airlift and goes on the Medal for Humane Action (which is different from the Humanitarian Service Medal), the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor is worn by Navy folk who served with the Marines and is worn on the service ribbon, but what are the others for?
Actually the "W" is for the Marine Expeditionary Medal, awarded to those who received the medal for the defense of Wake Island.
The Antarctic Service Medals wintering over device is a round device with a depiction of the continent on it.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85