Main Menu

V-Clasp

Started by chiles, December 28, 2007, 02:55:49 PM

chiles

I was awarded the Disaster Relief Ribbon with V clasp a short while ago. I decided to finally shell out the cash to pick it up for my ribbon rack. I know that the V is supposed to be bronze but the Hockshop sells a silver one as well. When asked why, they told me it was for the Disaster Relief Ribbon and the color is based on the level of emergency. This isn't mentioned in the regs anywhere and the best I can tell is that the silver V was used but isn't anymore. One of those things you can continue to wear if you were awarded it in the past. What's the deal with this?
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

Eclipse

We are only authorized to wear the bronze, and there is no "level" to the disaster, either POTUS declared its "bad" or he didn't.

Other services wear different colors, and there may have been something in the past, but its the bronze age for us now.

"That Others May Zoom"

chiles

That's what I had thought but I wanted to make sure. I respond to disasters as a career and it doesn't get any worse than a Presidential...
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

MIKE

IIRC CAPR 39-3 doesn't specify if it is to bronze or silver... I think it was one of those CAP KB clarifications.
Mike Johnston

Capt M. Sherrod

Quote from: MIKE on December 28, 2007, 03:52:41 PM
IIRC CAPR 39-3 doesn't specify if it is to bronze or silver... I think it was one of those CAP KB clarifications.

You are correct sir...

From the KB:

Answer ID: 1414

Disaster Relief Ribbon with "V" Device
     Question
     What are the requirements for and who has to approve the Disaster Relief Ribbon with a "V" Device?
     Answer
     The Disaster Relief Ribbon with a "V" device may be awarded to any CAP member who participates in a disaster relief effort for a Presidential declared disaster. Participation must be verified by the on-scene commander.

See details in Paragraphs 21g and 19 (below) of  CAP REGULATION 39-3 (E) AWARD OF CAP MEDALS, RIBBONS, AND CERTIFICATES

21. Criteria for Award of Service Ribbons:

g. Disaster Relief Ribbon with "V" Device. The Disaster Relief Ribbon with a "V" device may be awarded to any CAP member who participates in a disaster relief effort for a Presidential declared disaster. Participation must be verified by the on-scene commander. Participation in any Presidential declared disaster since 1990 qualifies.

19. Administration Procedures for Award of Activity and Service Ribbons. The individual member is responsible for preparing and submitting to the unit commander CAP Form 2a, Request for and Approval of Personnel Actions, when the requirements for an activity or service ribbon have been completed. The CAP Form 2a is then forwarded by the unit commander to the appropriate approving authority. (If the unit commander has been delegated approving authority by the wing commander as outlined in paragraph 17b, the unit commander simply approves the form and returns it to the recipient.) Upon approval, activity and service ribbons are purchased by the awarding unit or by the individual recipient, as appropriate.

Note: The Bronze V device worn on the CAP Disaster Relief ribbon by CAP members that participate in a Presidential declared national disaster is available from CAPMart/Vanguard.

[Image Here in KB]Bronze "V" Device
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

JohnKachenmeister

That's another one of those "CAP things" that RM folks have to get used to.  A "V" device has an entirely different meaning to military folk.
Another former CAP officer

WWIntel

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 28, 2007, 06:33:06 PM
That's another one of those "CAP things" that RM folks have to get used to.  A "V" device has an entirely different meaning to military folk.

Interesting...I would have done a double-take if I saw a "V" device on a CAP ribbon before seeing this post.  I wonder how it ended up being equated to a Presidential declared disaster.

RiverAux

Maybe the silver is for one of the valor award ribbons?

Tubacap

What does it mean in the RM?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

MIKE

Valor in combat or combat action... it varies slightly between services depending on what award it is attached to.
Mike Johnston

Flying Pig

The military awards the bronze "V" device for medals that also have a peacetime application.  For example, the Navy Commendation Medal can be awarded in peace time for being a superior manager, etc. or it can be awarded in combat with the bronze "V" device for an act of valor in combat that did not meet the criteria for the Bronze Star medal with the "V" device.

However, the Bronze Star Medal can be awarded in combat a meritorious act not involving combat action.  If the Bronze Star was awarded in combat for valor it will have the "V".  Example, I had a C.O. in the Marines who was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for being an intergral part of the planning phase and Schwartzkopf's staff during Desert Storm.  He was awardrd the Bronze Star without the "V".

Other medals, like the Silver Star, Navy Cross, Air Force Cross,  can only be awarded for combat valor so the "V" device is a little redundant.

I dont know that I ever saw the silver "V" on anything, at least in the Marines.

Flying Pig

Quote from: WWIntel on December 28, 2007, 11:04:17 PM

Interesting...I would have done a double-take if I saw a "V" device on a CAP ribbon before seeing this post.  I wonder how it ended up being equated to a Presidential declared disaster.

I was in the same boat.  I had a break in CAP for a few years, and had never seen it before.  When I saw a V on someone ribbon once when I came back in, I said, "Holy cow!!! Tell me the story!"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Tubacap on December 28, 2007, 11:17:18 PM

What does it mean in the RM?

Royal Marines... ;)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Tubacap

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

RiverAux

Okay, I looked at 39-3 and there are no V-clasps on the CAP medals of valor and there aren't any other Vs on CAP ribbons, so the silver V must be a mistake as far as CAP is concerned.

However, it does bring up one mistake in 39-3.  Attachment A2-4 pictures devices for CAP ribbons and they left out the V. 

Since the V on the CAP DR ribbon has nothing at all to do with valor and since that device is firmly established as being for valor on military ribbons, shouldn't we consider changing it to something else?  We use stars a lot, and a bronze star would serve the purpose just as well. 

sardak

This was the final paragraph in a PA I received earlier this year, after two back to back Presidentially declared disasters:

3. Eligible personnel who have participated in both missions specified under paragraphs 1 and 2 above have the option to regard both as two separate Disaster missions to receive the Silver "V" Device IAW CAPR 39-3.

A new PA was issued later which deleted this paragraph and preceded para. 1 and 2 with this correct, but vague wording per 39-3.
...are eligible to receive the Disaster Relief Ribbon with "V" Device.

Mike

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on December 29, 2007, 12:04:35 AM
Okay, I looked at 39-3 and there are no V-clasps on the CAP medals of valor and there aren't any other Vs on CAP ribbons, so the silver V must be a mistake as far as CAP is concerned.

However, it does bring up one mistake in 39-3.  Attachment A2-4 pictures devices for CAP ribbons and they left out the V. 

Since the V on the CAP DR ribbon has nothing at all to do with valor and since that device is firmly established as being for valor on military ribbons, shouldn't we consider changing it to something else?  We use stars a lot, and a bronze star would serve the purpose just as well. 

I agree, the "V" device has too much of a solemn meaning in the US military.  There are no shortages of devices that could go there that would have an independence CAP meaning.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Flying Pig

I agree.  The selection of a "V" is a little odd. A "D" for Disaster might make more sense. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 29, 2007, 12:23:24 AM
I agree.  The selection of a "V" is a little odd. A "D" for Disaster might make more sense. 

Someone must have thought it was "cool" or, based on the times, "nifty."  Anyone know the history of this ribbon and reason why it is there (other than spectuations like mine, above).  For all we know there was a valid reason?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 29, 2007, 12:18:08 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 29, 2007, 12:04:35 AM

I agree, the "V" device has too much of a solemn meaning in the US military.  There are no shortages of devices that could go there that would have an independence CAP meaning.

The "W" is for "Wintered Over" on the Antarctic Service Medal, the little C-54 is for serving on the Berlin Airlift and goes on the Medal for Humane Action (which is different from the Humanitarian Service Medal), the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor is worn by Navy folk who served with the Marines and is worn on the service ribbon, but what are the others for?
Another former CAP officer