Admin/Personnell Officer Types

Started by stillamarine, December 18, 2007, 09:23:32 PM

stillamarine

If there are any active admin or personnel officers on the board could you kick me an email? I have a few questions on things. I have recently been appointed the admin officer and would like to bounce some things off of another person. Also our personnel officer was appointed and no one told him what he needed to do! So will be asking questions for the both of us. Also have questions as to what restricted apps we should have access to. He only has access to the Senior Member Specialty Track screen, I have access to that and Form 8 and that's it!

Appreciate any help

Lt Gardiner

425PAO@GMAIL.COM
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

BillB

The Admin and Personnal people at Pensacola Composite should be able to help you.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

arajca

As a first step, find someone (probably your commander) who as access to "Duty Position" function on Eservices and have them assign you (and your Personnel Officer) appropriattely. There are a few restricted apps that are tied to position and this will open them up. You should become familiar with the Form 8 application. That's what you use to order certificates, forms, etc, online. In the middle of the Eservice screen, there should be a link at the bottom for "Restricted Applications" which will list what apps go with what positions.

Study the CAPR 5 and 10 series. As a heads up, you will need to do your annual personnel authorizations by 1 Jan. The paragraph should read something like:
"All personnel assigned to positions in XYZ Composite Squadron are hereby relived of duty without prejudice. The following personnel are hereby assigned to the position indicated below:"
Then list the members as
Doe, John        ######        Capt          Chief Donut Officer

If you are including cadets on your PA, I recommend using "Cadet" instead of their actual grade. It's easier to keep current.

SarDragon

Actually, having just checked the position related permissions that's about right.

From "Applications Assigned by Duty Position":

Administrative Officer
Form8 Form 8 Order Status Read-Only Mission Support

Form8 Form 8 Requisition Data-Entry Mission Support

Senior Member Specialty Track Senior Member Specialty Track Data-Entry ET-Senior

Personnel Officer
Senior Member Specialty Track Senior Member Specialty Track Data-Entry ET-Senior

Your unit WSA needs to turn on some additional permissions.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

stillamarine

Quote from: SarDragon on December 18, 2007, 10:17:05 PM
Actually, having just checked the position related permissions that's about right.

From "Applications Assigned by Duty Position":

Administrative Officer
Form8 Form 8 Order Status Read-Only Mission Support

Form8 Form 8 Requisition Data-Entry Mission Support

Personnel Officer

Your unit WSA needs to turn on some additional permissions.

Those are the ones we have. Just was wondering if there were any others that would make our job easier. The CC would do them but he doesn't know which ones.

Quote from: BillB on December 18, 2007, 09:52:21 PM
The Admin and Personnal people at Pensacola Composite should be able to help you.

I am the Admin people at Pensacola Composite :D Sorry for the confusion.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

BillB

Ooohhh   OK  You are still listed as PAO for Emerald Coast, not Pepsicola Composite
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Tim Medeiros

having checked WSAs, it appears your unit doesn't have any, so you'll need to go through your Group WSA, you can see who your WSAs are *up to Region level* by clicking on the "My WSA Contact Listing"

You'll likely want to check the Available Restricted Applications listing and see what might be able to help you with your position.  Such as, a Personnel Officer may find it beneficial to have access to CAP Personnel Information, Calendar Admin, Duty Assignment, Form 8 (automatic on position assignment), Member Reports, Membership, and (if assigned above Unit level) Member Search and CAPWATCH_DownLoad* at the very least.

* = Only reason why I say if assigned above unit level is because senior members are already granted this permission for their unit of assignment under CAP Utilities
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Tim Medeiros

Just an after thought, your CC might want to see about being granted WSA for the unit so he and his staff doesn't have to go to Group for things like this.
1577/2811

Camas

For personnel officers I recommend "Membership - Duty Promotions".  There are three other permissions under the "Membership" application but you don't really need those.  This allows you to submit promotion recommendations to your commander for approval.

I also recommend "Member Reports" for both admin and personnel officers.  As an option "CAP Personnel Information" can also be issued to both as well.

You don't need "CAPWatch Download"; everyone already has it as pointed out.

I don't agree on issuing "Duty Assignments" or "Calendar Admin"; the commander can do that.

Bone up on CAPR 10-3.  That'll help you in doing those personnel authorizations or PA's.  Also, all of the regulations that start with the number 35 or 39 such as CAPR 35-1 and CAPR 39-3.

And finally, study the specialty track guides for both admin and personnel; you'll find a wealth of information there.  Good luck!

Tim Medeiros

I would say all modules under Membership except for Retirements and maybe Approve Transfers.  I personally don't see anything wrong with Duty Assignments (a personnel function) and Calendar Admin (an overall staff function) being assigned.  This keeps the CC from being overworked as much as possible.  Should something questionable be added the CC could still remove it, or vice versa, in a matter of seconds (or minutes on a dialup connection), as well in regards to applications being given based on duty assignment CC's have access to a report that shows whos been given access to what and by whom within Commanders Corner which they can and probably should review at aleast once a month.
1577/2811