What was this Uniform?

Started by Major Carrales, December 18, 2007, 04:22:13 AM

MIKE

Supposedly service caps and striped trousers are for NCOs and above only.  Berets will still be worn by SPC and below according to what I saw on the ASU.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: ColonelJack on December 23, 2007, 11:35:47 PM
^^ Which causes me to wonder ... when the Army goes back to blue and reinstates regular wear of the service cap, what becomes of the beret?  Will it still be worn with the new ACU?

Jack

Beret is worn by E-4 and below. Service cap is supposed to be an option for E-5, and up.

At least that's what the last I saw on it was.

Wish they would just can the beret anyway. It's not really all that practical, just a piece of "cool" head gear.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: lordmonar on December 20, 2007, 05:44:16 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 20, 2007, 05:12:35 AMIt WAS a test uniform when I saw it. The sleeve rank never made it past the wear tests. They called the finished uniform the "retrofit" because it added epaulets and officer sleeve rank back, as well as the "U.S." for all personnel.

Sorry sir...but I think you are mistaken.  The sleeve rank did make it to production...it just did not last long.  The "retrofit" was the kit they made to add the epaulets for all the service coats that officers were wearing when Fogleman came on board.

Nope, not mistaken. I saw it the first time while the uniform was being wear-tested. A female major in the West Virginia ANG, in fact. Took me a few seconds to realize what I had just seen. Maybe it was because it was the female uniform, but yes, the first time I saw it was during the wear test period.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

DNall

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 24, 2007, 02:45:45 AM
Beret is worn by E-4 and below. Service cap is supposed to be an option for E-5, and up.
yeah, but E-5+ or not, no one is going to wear a beret w/ class Bs, so the beret will still have a use. Personally I think it's stupid. It looks really cool, at least mine does, but it's a pain & completely impractical, plus you see all kinds of people, even that been around a while, that have theirs all jacked up looking. That's embrassing. Honestly, I wish they'd just stick with PCs for ACUs & bring back garrison caps (flt hats for you AF folks). I always though garrison cap would be better for flt suits too, like every other service does it, but since we're going to the two piece I guess that doesn't matter anymore.

Far as the McPeak junk, yeah it look real dumb & was real expensive. I actually like the current service coat. It's clean lines & fits just right. I don't like the hap arnold coat. Looks like a costume party jacket. The belt is going to be a disaster, at least in CAP. Then we'll have to have an updated corporate-style version too I'm sure. If they wanted to change, I'd just assume go back to the pre-McPeak coat (the old style ones cadets still wear) in the current fabric. The AF has more history with that coat than any other uniform.