Highest Ranking member of CAP

Started by SAR-EMT1, December 14, 2007, 05:19:16 AM

ColonelJack

This really doesn't fit here, since I am retired, but I had to share it, since your asking if any RealMilitary general/flag officers are in units:

Back in '82, I served as a staff officer at the Georgia Wing Class "B" encampment at Ft. Benning.  The Encampment CC was Lt. Col. Robert Butler -- a pretty cool guy, let me tell you!  My 2nd Lt's bars were so new they still had the price tags on them, but Col. Butler showed me around post, took me with him to the PX and the Commissary, etc.  He insised that I (along with his staff) call him "Bob" at all times unless cadets were around.

Here's the kicker -- I didn't find out until later that "Bob" was a brigadier general in the Army Reserve.  Had I known that, I'd never have addressed him by anything other than "Sir."

I've never been on a first-name basis with a general since.  (Bob put me up for the Meritorious Service Award for my work at encampment, by the way.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

stillamarine

Quote from: ColonelJack on December 17, 2007, 05:07:30 PM
This really doesn't fit here, since I am retired, but I had to share it, since your asking if any RealMilitary general/flag officers are in units:

Back in '82, I served as a staff officer at the Georgia Wing Class "B" encampment at Ft. Benning.  The Encampment CC was Lt. Col. Robert Butler -- a pretty cool guy, let me tell you!  My 2nd Lt's bars were so new they still had the price tags on them, but Col. Butler showed me around post, took me with him to the PX and the Commissary, etc.  He insised that I (along with his staff) call him "Bob" at all times unless cadets were around.

Here's the kicker -- I didn't find out until later that "Bob" was a brigadier general in the Army Reserve.  Had I known that, I'd never have addressed him by anything other than "Sir."

I've never been on a first-name basis with a general since.  (Bob put me up for the Meritorious Service Award for my work at encampment, by the way.)

Jack

Many moons ago I had the great opportunity to meet Gen James Jones (then Lt Gen, and the Military Asst to the SECDEF). I was working an Airfield Control Group in Kosovo. I remember his comments as he introduced himself to me (like he needed one!).

QuoteGood Morning Cpl Gardiner, What's your given name?

Ummm Timothy, Sir

Great! Mind if we are on a first name basis? I'll call you, Timothy and you can call me General!

I know it's been said before but I admit it caught me off guard!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

♠SARKID♠

CAP SM: Lt. Col x4
CADET: 2Lt
Real Mil: Navy Commander (Bran new smember)