Why do we need AF Uniforms?

Started by cnitas, December 12, 2007, 03:08:11 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on January 04, 2008, 11:33:48 PM
I have seen many local newspaper articles printed in very early 1942 referring to members by military rank and there are plenty of other sources indicating that when the coastal patrols started in early 1942 people had been given ranks.  Sorry, but our historian is wrong if he believes we did not use ranks while serving as part of OCD.  Pick almost any CAP Historical Monograph and you'll find many rank references prior to Army control. 

That's not far enough back. CAP formed in 1941. There was a very brief period at CAP's inception that they did not have ranks. That was when CAP was part of the Office of Civilian Defense.

Second, the National historian probably has access to a lot more than any average member when it comes to the history of our organization.

RiverAux

QuoteThat's not far enough back. CAP formed in 1941.
Yeah, December 1st 1941 and I've got rank references from January, 1942, so I'm sitting on pretty solid ground here. 

CAP was not transferred to the Army until 1943 so it was not just a short period.  There are many references to coastal patrol incidents in 1942 that have been described in CAP publications using member ranks. 

QuoteSecond, the National historian probably has access to a lot more than any average member when it comes to the history of our organization.
He may have, but if his statements were properly reflected here, they were wrong.  More likely is that someone is misremembering what they thought he said. 

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on January 05, 2008, 09:22:46 PM
Yeah, December 1st 1941 and I've got rank references from January, 1942, so I'm sitting on pretty solid ground here. 

I'd actually like to see that. Can you scan and post?

Most of the early stuff I've seen didn't show ranks.

BillB

Photogrphs from 1st quarter of 1942 shows CAP members wearing khaki uniforms with grade insignia. This was prior to coming under military control.
Mikey, at the start of World War II it was still Army Air Corp. Didin't become Army Air Force until 1943. Some but not all grades were tied to position, as an example, a pilot was made a 2Lt but for the unit position may have been in Finance.
Part of the problem of saying when Officer grade was authorized, most all CAP records of the period were lost during transfer from Fifth Avenue in New York City, to Bolling AFB to Ellenton AFB to Maxwell AFB. Only USAF records often local, for the period exist and they have never been totally researched. With many CAP Squadrons having been in existance since 1942-43, how many of them have complete records of the early activity of the Squadron, or even who were the Commanders of the squadron since the biginning? Very few because Squadron Historians have not researched the activity through files or newspaper articles.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

mikeylikey

Quote from: BillB on January 05, 2008, 09:59:05 PM
Mikey, at the start of World War II it was still Army Air Corp. Didn't become Army Air Force until 1943.

"The Arms and Services of the United States Army, Military Recognition Book, 1937-1942"

Specifically "The Arms are the Infantry, Cavalry, Field Artillery, Coast Artillery, Air Forces, Corps of Engineers, and Signal Corps" 
"The United States Army Air Forces.....with air power universally recognized as of a paramount importance in modern warfare......developed rapidly into a tremendous striking power"

It is a confusing subject, but Officers were branched "Air Corps" in the US Army Air Forces.  As the Air Forces were a separate but equal component of the Army.  The Army was split into Ground Forces and Air Forces.  Each with their own Commanding General.  Each with their own training schools. 

Any War Department circular or Regulation regarding the subject will back that statement.  I have a personal interest in the subject and sat at West Point for seven days about five years ago researching and listening to prominant historians. 

However, I reccomend picking up a copy of the "Army Officers Guide" published between 1935 and 1945, as it goes into great detail on the subject.  The publishers just "republished" War department documents.   

To make things more confusing at the time the subordinate commands in the Air Force were broken down into Corps, as in Corps Areas, much like the ground forces were.  In relevance, that is where CAP got it's Wing designations. 

The National Historian, if accurately represented here, is WRONG.  I doubt he is being accurately represented here though.   

What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 05, 2008, 09:49:33 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 05, 2008, 09:22:46 PM

I'd actually like to see that. Can you scan and post?

Most of the early stuff I've seen didn't show ranks.
Sorry, can't.  But, go to your local library and look at newspaper microfilm of your local paper from the time period.  Assuming you had a CAP unit in your town you will probably find newspaper articles about them on a regular basis. 

More quickly, buy some of the CAP Historical Monographs or from Maine to Mexico and you'll find plenty of rank references from 1942.