Long Sleeve Golf Shirt - Oxymoron?

Started by G+10, December 06, 2007, 04:47:52 PM

G+10

Nowhere in CAPM 39-1 does it specify that the golf shirt must be short sleeve, although all the photographs show short sleeves. What I am wondering is if there is some common knowledge that golf shirt is only short sleeves and polo shirt can be either?

I wish they would have specified it in 39-1!!!

John Gniewkowski, Capt, CAP
MO-098

So far i think they only make the short sleeve.  You'd most likely need to special order a long sleeve one some where.  Although a long sleeve one might not be a bad idea.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

RogueLeader

I've never seen a long sleeve Golf shirt- in CAP or anywhere else.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

I have a long sleeve 5.11 polo. I don't know what the technical differences between a "golf" shirt and a "polo" shirt. The basic design looks the same to me.

sparks

I bought a long sleeve dark blue pull over to wear under the polo shirt. It's too light for the cold climate. The collarless pull over is the same color as the polo and isn't restricted by the 39-1. Of course a long sleeve shirt would be a better solution but none is available.

BRRRR

star1151

Quote from: G+10 on December 06, 2007, 04:47:52 PM
What I am wondering is if there is some common knowledge that golf shirt is only short sleeves and polo shirt can be either?

I call anything that's not button down and has a collar a polo shirt, and yes, I own long sleeves ones (not the CAP one, of course)

sardak

Tennis shirt, anyone?
Apparently the name derived from tennis to polo to golf, but they're all the same, and they can have long sleeves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_shirt

Mike

RogueLeader

Quote from: sardak on December 06, 2007, 06:58:50 PM
Tennis shirt, anyone?
Apparently the name derived from tennis to polo to golf, but they're all the same, and they can have long sleeves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_shirt

Mike

I could change that if i felt like it. . .

But I won't

[/drifty]
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

O-Rex

I strongly advocate a navy blue button-doen oxford shirt, like the one's corporations sell employees with their logo (I got one for my day job.)

you could make it a "seasonal" item in temperate areas, Oct-Apr

It could have the same embroidery as the personalized Golf shirt, and you could wear thermals under it without looking like a nerd.

Whether we stay with gray slacks or go to khakis, it would look sharp...

star1151

Quote from: O-Rex on December 06, 2007, 09:49:12 PM
I strongly advocate a navy blue button-doen oxford shirt, like the one's corporations sell employees with their logo (I got one for my day job.)

Then we'd look like salespeople.

O-Rex

Quote from: star1151 on December 07, 2007, 04:01:06 AM

Perhaps, but it beats looking like AARP poster-boys in our groovy golf shirts...

mikeylikey

Has anyone played golf in the golf shirt? 
What's up monkeys?

star1151

Quote from: O-Rex on December 07, 2007, 05:22:19 AM
Quote from: star1151 on December 07, 2007, 04:01:06 AM

Perhaps, but it beats looking like AARP poster-boys in our groovy golf shirts...

I guess I just don't get it.  I work in a business casual environment, and all the men wear polo shirts.  I never thought of it as a AARP poster boy thing.

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 07, 2007, 03:31:47 PM
Has anyone played golf in the golf shirt? 

I haven't yet... But if I do I'd most likely use the silk screen golf shirt and not the embroidered one.  They look to nice to wear out on the links.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Lancer

you could make it a "seasonal" item in temperate areas, Oct-Apr

It could have the same embroidery as the personalized Golf shirt, and you could wear thermals under it without looking like a nerd.

Whether we stay with gray slacks or go to khakis, it would look sharp...

You were saying...

http://www.vanguardmil.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_415_1857_1929_1933&products_id=13262

Comes in Red, Royal and Navy Blue and Black. Available in S thru XL for the ladies, and M thru XXL for the men.

I'd of course need one in 3XL, and I'd like a long sleeve option as well.

Oh, and in the New Items section, they have a Mock Turtleneck listed with CAP on the collar, in white and navy blue. I'm wondering if this is going to be something similar to a Under Armor Coldgear mock. I highly doubt it, but we can certainly wish.

star1151

You have to tuck that in, though.  Don't have to tuck in a golf shirt, which is a whole lot more flattering.

Lancer

Quote from: star1151 on January 02, 2008, 06:33:56 PM
You have to tuck that in, though.  Don't have to tuck in a golf shirt, which is a whole lot more flattering.

Well, #1, that's not a uniform item, so you wear it how you like (obviously tucked is more professional).

AFAIC, you should wear the polo tucked in, especially if your wearing it as a uniform, but that's my opinion. I'm a big guy too.

I think the idea behind them offering the oxford is so we have something that let's us represent our organization, without violating any sacred uniform regulations.  ::)

O-Rex

Put the patch on the right side, wings and name on the left, and you could have a winter alternative to the golf shirt.

I've been harping about that for years. . . . .

star1151

Quote from: Lancer on January 02, 2008, 07:18:44 PM
Quote from: star1151 on January 02, 2008, 06:33:56 PM

AFAIC, you should wear the polo tucked in, especially if your wearing it as a uniform, but that's my opinion. I'm a big guy too.

I think the idea behind them offering the oxford is so we have something that let's us represent our organization, without violating any sacred uniform regulations.  ::)

Ok, true, it's not a uniform (although the golf shirt isn't required to be tucked in, if tailored correctly).  I'd love to have something casual to wear, but an oxford's not it.

RiverAux

Can only wear the golf shirt untucked except in hot weather while on flight line. 
citation - 39-1 Table 4-4.