Change in NHQ Structure / Affect Change & do something

Started by Tubacap, November 29, 2007, 02:55:47 PM

Pylon

Quote from: BlackKnight on December 10, 2007, 08:17:59 PM
I find it interesting how most of the posts in this thread are arguing for or against the minimum grade requirement of LtCol for NHQ staff, but we've overlooked the most important factor that affects us (the membership) for anyone serving on NHQ staff.  That regardless of grade or professional development, they have a proven track record of living the CAP Core Values:

• Integrity
  • Excellence
  • Respect
  • Volunteer Service

Unfortunately, that's not something tracked in E-services.  The purpose of the minimum grade is not a "check this box, get the position" type of deal.  It's merely an initial screening to set a baseline for experience.  I am positive that candidates who apply, after meeting the initial screening, will be further interviewed to determine their candidacy for an NHQ position.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Maj Ballard

Quote from: Dragoon on December 10, 2007, 08:01:52 PM
You're right.  You don't need to hit the books.  What you need is a few more years of active participation in order to broaden/deepen your CAP experience.

Don't get me wrong - by having been a squadron CC and staff jobs, you're clearly one of the more outstanding captains.  And one day you'll be an outstanding Lt Col.  And then you'll apply and get one of these jobs.  But for right now, you're the anomaly - statistically, there aren't enough like you to warrant changing the whole system.

In the meantime, I have faith that the jobs will go to folks who have everything you have - plus 5 more years of CAP experience. 

There had to be  a cut line somewhere.  This one ain't perfect - but it screens out a large number of highly opinionated candidates who, frankly, don't have the breadth of experience to serve at that level.  Just like in the real military, there will be exceptional folks that will be excluded - I know of some RM captains who I trust over some RM majors - but those are the exceptions, not the rule.

Points well taken. Honestly, I need another CAP job like I need a hole in my head anyway. :)
What I might do is, when the position is filled, simply contact the person and introduce myself. Offer to assist in any way I can, etc. Then I'll go back to my real job and cheer my cadets on to winning Region Color Guard Competition. :)
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

CAP_truth

I think when this is all said and done ,you will find that the same people who are in these positions will still be there. They will be the same people appointed the same way they were before. Just a different person doing the appointing.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

mikeylikey

Quote from: CAP_truth on December 12, 2007, 05:49:40 PM
I think when this is all said and done ,you will find that the same people who are in these positions will still be there. They will be the same people appointed the same way they were before. Just a different person doing the appointing.

You may be correct.  Until we actually see what happens, Courter may just be another player in the "best friends club"

What's up monkeys?

flyguy06

Quote from: RiverAux on December 01, 2007, 02:22:38 PM
I've got mixed feelings on the rank issue.  On the one hand everybody knows that CAP rank doesn't necessarily relate to CAP experience in any particular field and limiting applicants to a certain rank has the possibility of keeping out people who are otherwise fully qualified.  On the other hand, this is a national level position and a high rank is appropriate given the ranks of the people you will be working with on a regular basis. 

Wing+ staff experience seems very appropriate as that implies that you've learned quite a bit about the nuts and bolts of running CAP and have probably been around long enough that you've seen things that you would like to fix. 

Riveraux,

For once, I agree with you. I dont agree with having tobe a Lt/ Col in order to serve on this positions. I am a Capt. I was brought up in an "urban" Squadron. I started as a cadet and am currently the DCC inthe same squadron. I have plenty of experience in this area. But I cant be in the position because I am a Captain. That sucks.

flyguy06

Quote from: SJFedor on December 06, 2007, 08:21:37 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 29, 2007, 08:36:48 PM

What the heckare CAP's "urban programs"?  They've already got a slot for the school enrichment program (middle school program) advisor.  Is this the Junior Cadet program?  If so, why not name it that way?  And if it is the Junior Cadets, why is it under Cadet Program rather than AE?

Not sure, but willing to take a stab. It may be a directorate of the middle school initiative with a special emphasis on inner city, high risk youths. That would make the most sense to me.

It has nothing to do with middle schools. They want to start more units in areas like the one I am in. Inner city areas. I think its a great idea. I only wish I could volunteer to help but I dont have enough rank for them.