Main Menu

New S/M, previos cadet

Started by JCW0312, November 15, 2007, 03:47:32 AM

JCW0312

I recently returned to CAP as a S/M after having been a cadet years and years ago. On the application I marked that I was a prior cadet, however I could not remember for the life of me where I was in acheivements. So I left that part blank. The sq I joined is the same composite sq I was in as a cadet. I told the sq leader that I could not remember my progress as a cadet and asked him if he might be able to look in the old filing cabinet and find out. He told me it's not important and just sent off the application without filling in that spot.

This wont hurt or delay my application, will it?
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

Eclipse

Its entirely likely you will get the same CAPID, and eServices will reflect any major achievements and awards.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I don't know, he said "years and years" ago.  When I re-joined about 10 years ago NHQ apparently had nothing related to my cadet awards from the mid-1980s.  I do wonder if they "park" expired members' electronic records somewhere so that reviving them wouldn't be a big deal upon re-joining? 

Eclipse

Well, I know that recently several former members with CAP ID's in the 120xxx's have come back with their former numbers.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cecil DP

If you had achived a "Milestone Award" they should have the record, otherwise it won't affect your membership.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

arajca

You may have to have someone research the old CAP News archives. That was the only record National had of my Earhart. They accepted a copy of the list with my name circled as sufficient proof that I completed the Earhart.

Brad

We have a new SM who was a former Cadet back in the 60's then jumped over to SM until about the 70's. NHQ had no problem finding his stuff....but then again he did some work at Wing as the Comms Officer as a Capt.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

JCW0312

Well, I was a cadet in the mid-90's, so here's hoping. I dont recall what my CAPSN was and I don't remember "eservices". It must have come around after my days.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

AlphaSigOU

Up until the 1990s, the CAPSN was the same as the social security number; those who chose not to use it (mainly cadets) had serial numbers that began with the year joined and a sequential number.

Some former members (like myself) who were on a long CAP hiatus (17 years for me) will probably not have any electronic records transferred over to eServices, unless you can back up the previous records with paper. The people at NHQ CAP unfortunately don't have the manpower to look through the archives.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JCW0312

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to wait until I get something from HQ to know for sure. I dont remember if my CAPSN was my social or not.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Flying Pig

When I was a cadet the internet didnt even exist....

When I rejoined, all CAP had on me was that I had attended encampment.  Forutunately I had photocopied my file once before I left for the Marines, and I later found my photocopied file in a box in my parents garage.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 15, 2007, 04:43:42 PM
When I was a cadet the internet didnt even exist....

When I rejoined, all CAP had on me was that I had attended encampment.  Forutunately I had photocopied my file once before I left for the Marines, and I later found my photocopied file in a box in my parents garage.

Hahah.....NHQ still doesn't have my SLS, CLC, ENC, others on file.  I recomend to everyone to keep a copy of all diplomas and certificates in a "ME FOLDER".
What's up monkeys?

davedove

I don't know about cadets, but we just had a senior member rejoin who had been a member briefly over ten years ago.  He was assigned his old number.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Psicorp

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 15, 2007, 11:24:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to wait until I get something from HQ to know for sure. I dont remember if my CAPSN was my social or not.

My guess is probably.  I was a Cadet from early '92 through the end of '97 and only got one of the current CAPIDs when I turned Senior in Dec of '97.  Was a Senior for a year then let my membership lapse.  After rejoining in '06, I found out that my CAPID from when I turned Senior was re-issued to me and all my Cadet milestone records were still in the system.   Good luck!
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

JCW0312

Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

drcomm

I was a cadet from 1978-1986.  I became a senior member in 2005 (19 year lapse).  I had no copies of my previous records and my former squadron had destroyed the originals years ago.  I was issued a new CAPID.  My previous on was a 78xxxx number.  I was able to contact national HQ and they had a record of my Mitchell Award and one of my encampments but that was all.  So as far as national is concerned, I got a Mitchell in the 80's and an encampment in 79 but have only been a member for the last two years.  The moral here is keep copies of all of your files and records.  National's archives may have a few things but you are on your own for most of it.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

JCW0312

Quote from: drcomm on November 16, 2007, 03:25:33 AM
I was a cadet from 1978-1986.  I became a senior member in 2005 (19 year lapse).  I had no copies of my previous records and my former squadron had destroyed the originals years ago.  I was issued a new CAPID.  My previous on was a 78xxxx number.  I was able to contact national HQ and they had a record of my Mitchell Award and one of my encampments but that was all.  So as far as national is concerned, I got a Mitchell in the 80's and an encampment in 79 but have only been a member for the last two years.  The moral here is keep copies of all of your files and records.  National's archives may have a few things but you are on your own for most of it.

Lesson learned the hard way. It's tough to tell a teenager to "keep this in case you need it in the future". At the time, I had a hard time looking past the upcoming weekend!
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

Actually, I still have a hard time looking past the upcoming weekend.  :D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Pylon

Records at your old squadron will only be kept for 7 years.  After that, they get destroyed. 

National records are a different story, especially as mentioned above with reference to milestone awards.  What time period were you a cadet?  Did you achieve any milestone awards?  If so, about when?  I have some copies of CAP News that date back to 1997.  There are a lot of resources here to help you with your membership renewal; we just need a bit more info.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Actually I think its five years until records are to be destroyed if not requested.
Mike Johnston