Main Menu

Cloth Insignia

Started by JCW0312, November 13, 2007, 11:22:00 PM

LtCol White

If you use the Alene's glue, once you wash it all residue is gone. It disolves in the wash and there is no sign of the gluing. Only the sewing. If you remove a badge to change it, there is no marking of the fabric underneath. I've been doing this for years.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

JCW0312

Oh yes, I am really looking forward to the sewing on the Field Jacket! I appreciate all of the insight here guys.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

Well, I just placed an order from Vanguard for the cloth insignia. From what I read in other posts, I should hopefully have it in before Christmas.... 2008.   ;D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Al Sayre

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 14, 2007, 03:28:08 PM
Oh yes, I am really looking forward to the sewing on the Field Jacket! I appreciate all of the insight here guys.

Here is a simple solution...  Buy some Camo fabric to match- (Walmart or the local fabric store should have it).  Make a pattern using your velcro type epaulette covers from your blues.  Sew the insignia on the epaulette cover.  Slip it on the Field Jacket and pin it from the bottom with a safety pin so it won't slide around.  It looks much better than most I have seen sewn directly on the epaulette.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

LtCol White

Quote from: Al Sayre on November 14, 2007, 05:42:49 PM

Here is a simple solution...  Buy some Camo fabric to match- (Walmart or the local fabric store should have it).  Make a pattern using your velcro type epaulette covers from your blues.  Sew the insignia on the epaulette cover.  Slip it on the Field Jacket and pin it from the bottom with a safety pin so it won't slide around.  It looks much better than most I have seen sewn directly on the epaulette.

What you are suggesting is not an authorized uniform item.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

mikeylikey

And it begins.  Uniform GODS please report to the Forum so we can get some bashing done!
What's up monkeys?

Al Sayre

Quote from: LtCol White on November 14, 2007, 06:06:01 PM

No but it ought to be...  sew it to epaulette and call it a field repair >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

LtCol White

Quote from: Al Sayre on November 14, 2007, 08:31:25 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on November 14, 2007, 06:06:01 PM

No but it ought to be...  sew it to epaulette and call it a field repair >:D

Your idea requires more work than taking the approved insignia and sewing in directly on the epaulet of the field jacket.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

O-Rex

Quote from: Eclipse on November 14, 2007, 01:07:45 PM
Quote from: JCW0312 on November 14, 2007, 03:59:06 AM
And the BDU caps are supposed to have rank on the front of them now, right? I think I read somewhere that it had been changed since the last revision of 39-1.

Yes - and THAT will definitely challenge your sewing ability, as will the epaulets on the M65.

If you are using a sewing machine, it's not that bad.  Field jacket epaulets are tough, though, since the insignia is real close to the shoulder seam.

Remember that if you are wearing BBDU's you can wear pin-on rank on the hat.  I sewed mine on anyway....

I'm going to try to sew velcro onto a CWU-45 jacket this weekend.

Someone asked why sew-on rank and badges aren't pre-folded: I went to an MCSS that stocked multiple service items, and Navy sew-on rank for BDU's comes pre-folded, and it looked like there was some light stitching to maintain the fold until it is actually sewn to a garment.  Looked pretty good.

Can Vanguard do that?  Probably.  Would you pay an exhorbitant sum for it?  Dunno.

pixelwonk

you'd pay about what you do for the Gortex slides, which are essentially what you've described.

JCW0312

I'm assuming "BBDUs" are the Blue BDU's... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

O-Rex

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 15, 2007, 03:13:22 AM
I'm assuming "BBDUs" are the Blue BDU's... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, I'm talking about Blue BDU's

JCW0312

I've never really seen the BBDUs worn around my parts. I assume they must be popular somewhere since they're still around.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Hawk200

Quote from: O-Rex on November 14, 2007, 08:58:02 PM
Can Vanguard do that?  Probably.  Would you pay an exhorbitant sum for it?  Dunno.

Probably would. It's Vanguard we're talking about. They would charge for the "convenience". Or else up the shipping fees.

;D

JCW0312

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 15, 2007, 03:31:12 AM
Quote from: O-Rex on November 14, 2007, 08:58:02 PM

Probably would. It's Vanguard we're talking about. They would charge for the "convenience". Or else up the shipping fees.

;D

It would sure be nice though. I would pay a little for "convenience", but from what I've heard about Vanguard, our definitions of "a little" might differ.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

O-Rex

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 15, 2007, 03:27:54 AM
I've never really seen the BBDUs worn around my parts. I assume they must be popular somewhere since they're still around.

Some do wear them: I just got a set (despite the fact that I hated them the first time I saw them, but eventually came around) meshes very nicely considering we do alot at the local Coast Guard Air Station.  They are also a bit more "Urban Friendly" then UDF-ing.

JCW0312

I can see the whole "urban friendly" side of it.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

MIKE

Urban unfriendly if you look like the po po.  :)
Mike Johnston

JayT

I started wearing them when I turned eighteen because A. I was about ten pounds over the High/Weight limit, and B. I got embassed with people thanking me for being a soldier.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

davedove

They are around.  I often see them in Maryland Wing, although even there they are in the minority.

I suspect what is really happening is that some of the folks in your area are wearing BDU's when they really shouldn't be (they might be a little overweight).
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003