BDU Cover/Headgear Rank

Started by JRESO, October 29, 2007, 10:47:58 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 31, 2007, 12:29:35 AM
Since if it is sewn on as is pictured, the only way anyone will see your cap rank will be if you are a midget.  The visor will hide the device.  Also, in the picture, the whole thing looks foreign.  Sort of Eastern European or Balkan in style.
I disagree (big surprise).

Mine are sewn 1/2 inch from the edge of the insignia, not the blue, and they look fine.

There are actually two sizes of BDU hats, a lower profile and a higher profile (I have no idea where the distinction is made as I have the same size in both styles).

The lower profile hat looks fine, the higher a bit Castro-esque, but neither is so bad as to be unacceptable.
Since most people do not suffer from the gigantism I do, the insignia is not hidden.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

I'm sure some will argue that this is wrong, but here's mine.  I think it looks pretty good.

Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 30, 2007, 04:34:57 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on October 30, 2007, 12:24:52 AM
Quote from: Becks on October 30, 2007, 12:20:56 AM
Who knows, I wear a beret  ;)

Don't get me started on berets.

There is only one use for the beret, and it's not for headcover!!!

Hey I EARNED by beret [darnit], well my Airborne one anyways! :D

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on December 30, 2007, 04:54:45 PM
I'm sure some will argue that this is wrong, but here's mine.  I think it looks pretty good.

Looks about right to me - 1/2 inch up >and< centered.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2007, 05:54:15 PMLooks about right to me - 1/2 inch up >and< centered.

You know, I didn't follow any regs for sewing it on.  I figured only common sense would prevail so I pretty much centered it up, down, right, left.

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on December 30, 2007, 05:35:50 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on October 30, 2007, 04:34:57 AM
There is only one use for the beret, and it's not for headcover!!!

Hey I EARNED by beret [darnit], well my Airborne one anyways! :D

But I probably need to downsize the blue border and lower it a little so I can put my white/blue airborne tab above the rank... >:D
Serving since 1987.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Fifinella on October 30, 2007, 09:08:01 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 30, 2007, 07:34:59 PM
Zo, Kapitan... You zink you can trifle vit der CAP Uniform Edicts?

Off to der Kamp vit you!

(Sound of European hi-lo siren fading into the dark, lifeless streets)
Oh, no!  I hope you didn't send me to the Klink!  ;)

14 days in ze cooler! ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Pylon

So if we were to have the reg "altered" or "clarified" in any coming revisions, what would be the best way to write the part for positioning of the embroidered insignia on the BDU cap?  What's the best method?  Centered vertically and horizontally? 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: AFI36-2903 Figure 2.12. NOTES:3. Officers wear the regular size cloth {snipped} grade insignia on the BDU cap. Grade
insignia will be centered vertically and horizontally. Colonel grade insignia is worn with the
eagle's beak pointed towards the wearer's right shoulder (indicates the eagle is facing forward). {snipped}
NOTE: Chaplains may wear {Add: regular size cloth} chaplains' insignia centered 1/2
inch above visor of BDU cap. {snipped}
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

Grade insignia (religious insignia for chaplains) is centered on the front of the headgear left to right, and top to bottom; no other insignia is worn on the headgear.

Simple.
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

MIKE and Mikey thanks.  :)

So what if the manual was rewritten using the basis of the quote MIKE pulled from the AFI, but adding the 1/8" border of ultramarine around the grade insignia requirement?   We would also further explain that there'd be no insignia worn for Senior Members without grade.

I think it'd be a lot easier to understand, to comply with, and would (likely more often than the current setup) look good.

mikeylikey

^ Coolness.  Your right on. 
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 02, 2008, 01:40:19 AM
Grade insignia (religious insignia for chaplains) is centered on the front of the headgear left to right, and top to bottom; no other insignia is worn on the headgear.
SMWOG and cadet enlisted wear nothing

Simple.

bold, my own addition
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SJFedor

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 04, 2008, 08:29:42 AM

Simple.

bold, my own addition

SMWOG and cadet enlisted NCOs wear nothing

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RogueLeader

Quote from: SJFedor on January 09, 2008, 02:37:24 AM

Simple.

bold, my own addition

So C/ab-SrA can?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Simple.

bold, my own addition

CAPM 39-1, 1-3, defines cadets from grade C/AB to C/CMSgt as Airmen.  Since that's how the uniform manual defines them, for purposes of the uniform manual, that's the language that will be used.  Not enlisted or NCO.  Saves the debate.  ;)

G+10

Quote from: Pylon on January 09, 2008, 03:32:12 AM

Simple.

bold, my own addition

CAPM 39-1, 1-3, defines cadets from grade C/AB to C/CMSgt as Airmen.  Since that's how the uniform manual defines them, for purposes of the uniform manual, that's the language that will be used.  Not enlisted or NCO.  Saves the debate.  ;)

May I suggest you then change it to:

SMWOG and cadet airmen wear no hat insignia

You don't want that other sound bite hanging out there...  :o

Gunner C

But I'm sure they don't want NCOs wearing anything on their hats, either (non-cadet NCOs, that is)

GC

Hawk200

Quote from: Gunner C on January 09, 2008, 09:42:37 PM
But I'm sure they don't want NCOs wearing anything on their hats, either (non-cadet NCOs, that is)

GC

One more try them: Senior Members without grade, Senior Member NCOs, and cadet airman and NCOs do not wear rank insignia on headgear

Does that work?

Gunner C

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 09, 2008, 10:00:17 PM
Quote from: Gunner C on January 09, 2008, 09:42:37 PM

GC

One more try them: Senior Members without grade, Senior Member NCOs, and cadet airman and NCOs do not wear rank insignia on headgear

Does that work?
It's all good for me . . . 8)