Main Menu

Processing time

Started by Brad, October 26, 2007, 05:05:12 PM

Brad

Ok, since I'm always one to keep my bank balance one step ahead of what my online statement says, I'm just wondering what the turnover time is on Senior Member applications? My Squadron Commander mailed it off sometime between the 16th and the 23rd of October. As such I'm having to subtract $54 out of my balance to account for the check. (This is exactly why I rarely if ever write checks) I get paid on Wednesday. So my question is: should I go ahead and buy gas and food, heh....or piddle around with a potential-to-bounce $4 to my name? In other words I'm wanting to know would the check be cashed before then or not. Welcome to the joys of college life!  :P

Yea, normally I get paid every two weeks, but because of fall break (which because of MY job, student dispatcher with my campus PD, I still worked during) it would seem the Financial Aid office in their "infinite wisdom" decided to pay the student workers at the beginning and end of this month. That's 4 weeks between checks...so not right.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

isuhawkeye

just an fyi.  if your membership dues bounce that could be grounds for termination

Brad

Quote from: isuhawkeye on October 26, 2007, 05:15:06 PM
just an fyi.  if your membership dues bounce that could be grounds for termination

I know, that's why I'm sitting on things.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Al Sayre

Not to mention the $20.00 bounce fee...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Cecil DP

It should be a week, 10 days max.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Brad

I called NHQ and spoke with a lady in member services, and she said that NHQ hasn't received my packet yet. She explained that Maxwell has to receive it first, and then it passes through their post office. She also said I should check  back Monday and Tuesday, and if nessicary ask for a one to two day delay on processing the check. Bleh. I'll be glad once I'm in the system and can do the online renewal. Makes me feel safer.

The moral of the story: checks suck.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Dad2-4

I also hate writing checks and the banking delays they create. I always use money orders instead of a check when I have to mail one off somewhere. Keeps my account straight.

star1151

Mine took 15 days from mail-in to having an ID number.  Don't know when the checked cleared, though.

JAFO78

I took a check to my bank today, Bank of Am., they told me it would be a week before I could get the money because the check was on Citibank.  Talk about processing time.

My advice to anyone if you send money to NHQ, use money order, CC or debt card.   
JAFO

jasonmc

I just paid cash to the 2nd Lt that did my paperwork and I guess she mailed a money order in. Took about 2 weeks.
J. McClaren

JAFO78

Our squadron used to take cash, checks and send a unit check to NHQ. It helped when we would send many new memberships in.
JAFO

Steve Silverwood

Quote from: Brad on October 26, 2007, 05:05:12 PM
Ok, since I'm always one to keep my bank balance one step ahead of what my online statement says, I'm just wondering what the turnover time is on Senior Member applications? My Squadron Commander mailed it off sometime between the 16th and the 23rd of October. As such I'm having to subtract $54 out of my balance to account for the check. (This is exactly why I rarely if ever write checks) I get paid on Wednesday. So my question is: should I go ahead and buy gas and food, heh....or piddle around with a potential-to-bounce $4 to my name? In other words I'm wanting to know would the check be cashed before then or not. Welcome to the joys of college life!  :P

Yea, normally I get paid every two weeks, but because of fall break (which because of MY job, student dispatcher with my campus PD, I still worked during) it would seem the Financial Aid office in their "infinite wisdom" decided to pay the student workers at the beginning and end of this month. That's 4 weeks between checks...so not right.

If you're that concerned about your bank balance, you should have given them a money order or cashier's check.
-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood
kb6ojs@arrl.net

MIKE

You really should make sure your finances are in order if you wish to be a member of Come And Pay/Cash And Plastic.  :)
Mike Johnston

Brad

Quote from: MIKE on October 27, 2007, 06:47:35 PM
You really should make sure your finances are in order if you wish to be a member of Come And Pay/Cash And Plastic.  :)

They usually are. It's just TPTB of my university seem to think that I can live for a month on $275. Two weeks, no problem, but a month? Nope, sorry.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

NIN

Quote from: Brad on October 27, 2007, 08:11:07 PM
Quote from: MIKE on October 27, 2007, 06:47:35 PM

They usually are. It's just TPTB of my university seem to think that I can live for a month on $275. Two weeks, no problem, but a month? Nope, sorry.

My girlfriend is a college financial aid director. She causes your pain.. Hahahahaha..

I get that from my workstudy students all the time "I turned in my time sheet on Tuesday. Why don't I get paid on Friday?"  Uh, hello, payroll processing?

Not that 4 weeks is right. Someone should get dope-slapped over in your FA dept.  Walk in and say "Hey, do you think that a 4 week period between paychecks is a good way to retain students who are also workstudies?"  and watch them scramble as soon as the word "retain" is out of your mouth.

Unless you're a student at a well endowed state school... Then they could care less. "Go ahead, leave!  We need the space in the dorms!"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pylon

For these types of situations, I'd go ahead and sign up for some small "overdraft protection" from your bank.  Basically, it's a credit line of a small amount (usually no more than $1,000).  The bank agrees to pay any checks or drafts from your account, even if your balance can't cover it at the time, and simply charges you a convenience fee.  You then have to pay back the over-draft amount when you get more money.

Works great for these types of situations exactly.  You don't want to use it on a regular basis, but if you need to eat and you're not sure when that random rent/bill/dues check will process, you can still buy your food. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Tim Medeiros

I've been using overdraft protection since I got my bank account when I entered college a few years ago, its helped greatly when money was rather tight
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

JCW0312

Quote from: timmed1577 on October 28, 2007, 09:27:39 PM
I've been using overdraft protection since I got my bank account when I entered college a few years ago, its helped greatly when money was rather tight

I second the appreciation for Overdraft Protection. No matter how much your finances are in order, most people make a mistake every now and then. Overdraft protection sure helps relieve that wallet sting when you look at your account and say "oops".
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

W3ZR

Brad,

How did you make out ?  I just rejoined after a REAL long break in service,
just wondering how long I will be waiting.
Robert Montgomery, soon to be former Captain, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: K3BM on December 22, 2007, 11:28:05 AM
Brad,

How did you make out ?  I just rejoined after a REAL long break in service,
just wondering how long I will be waiting.

You should be getting your temporary membership card within 2-3 weeks after you turned in the application, with the permanent membership card following within 4-6 weeks as soon as the fingerprints clear the FBI. Soon as you're 'on the books' you can log in to eServices.

<-- returned to CAP two years ago after a 17-year break in membership.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040