Main Menu

Blue Beret

Started by CadetProgramGuy, September 15, 2007, 08:24:27 PM

CadetProgramGuy

I saw this on the website:  http://www.blueberet.org/historyoftheberet.htm

Members of the Civil Air Patrol who attend National Blue Beret (NBB) in Oshkosh, Wisconsin during the EAA AirVenture airshow can earn blue berets along with the Saint Alban's Cross, and the title of Blue Beret. Members of the Indiana Wing who achieve the classification of Ground Team Member level 2 (GTM2) are also awarded blue berets. CAP members who attend Hawk Mountain Ranger School and achieve the Advanced Ranger level are awarded black berets.

I know this is not to be true anymore, but how long ago was this the case?

Eclipse

It can't have been that long, we've only had GT 1-2-3 since what, 2004?

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

I realize that  part, but I have been in CAP for 5 years, and I have only known about the Hawk Mtn garb and Blue Berets

IceNine

IIRC the NB approved the blue beret for nationwide wear in the last couple years.

They may have also approved the Ranger tabs. 

I will look when I get home from class tonight.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

floridacyclist

They did approve the Ranger tabs..actually, they approved all items awarded by Hawk Mountain and NBB to be worn with BDUs only. I have never heard of a black beret in CAP or any kind of beret for Hawk. I also seem to recall that blue is the only color authorized for a beret per 39-1.

My 15yo Hawk Mountain staffer just stumbled into the room so I asked him what they were told they could wear... he said orange t-shirt and hat, tab over "Civil Air Patrol" tape, silver whistle and chain, ascotte, white pistol belt with brass eyelets, and HMRS (or FL Wing in our case) "LL" Ranger patch on left pocket.

Thank God they don't wear all that crap unless they're playing with the Ranger School...usually it's just the patch and orange hat, which our wing DO is wanting to get approved for everyone for field use.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

mikeylikey

Quote from: floridacyclist on September 16, 2007, 01:35:45 PM
They did approve the Ranger tabs..actually, they approved all items awarded by Hawk Mountain and NBB to be worn with BDUs only. I have never heard of a black beret in CAP or any kind of beret for Hawk. I also seem to recall that blue is the only color authorized for a beret per 39-1.

My 15yo Hawk Mountain staffer just stumbled into the room so I asked him what they were told they could wear... he said orange t-shirt and hat, tab over "Civil Air Patrol" tape, silver whistle and chain, ascotte, white pistol belt with brass eyelets, and HMRS (or FL Wing in our case) "LL" Ranger patch on left pocket.

Thank God they don't wear all that crap unless they're playing with the Ranger School...usually it's just the patch and orange hat, which our wing DO is wanting to get approved for everyone for field use.

no..........stay away from the orange hats.  Once you get them you can never get rid of them.  They are like a curse, they also are more expensive then bdu covers.
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 16, 2007, 02:13:27 PM
They are like a curse, they also are more expensive then bdu covers.

$2.99 at Bass Pro shops for good-quality blaze-orange hats - I have it for deep forest use, stays in the gear box otherwise.

All this stuff that's "off the books" as it were, is worn only at the pleasure and with the authorization of the host activity and/or host state. Otherwise leave it at home - and your best bet, if you plan on wearing something non-standard to an activity outside your home unit/state, is to either ask the activity commander, or bring the standard gear as well.

Nothing gets you a return invite to an activity like an argument when you get off the bus about what color t-shirt you can wear.

Berets were approved for local unit wear, with the concurrence of the unit commander, for grads of Blue Beret and HMRS, with BDU's only.  Standard CAP-Blue only with the NBB St. Alban's cross as flash (not grade, and no one has yet seen anything on wearing the MAJCOM in writing).

Common sense would tell you, as well as Army people in our area, that this is a garrison cap, not a field cap - not only will it not protect you like a BDU cap, it will get ruined in the field as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

cnitas

Quote from: Eclipse on September 16, 2007, 02:33:23 PM
Berets were approved for local unit wear, with the concurrence of the unit commander, for grads of Blue Beret and HMRS, with BDU's only.  Standard CAP-Blue only with the NBB St. Alban's cross as flash (not grade, and no one has yet seen anything on wearing the MAJCOM in writing).

Is this official now?  I have only seen the National Board vote, which was rather vague.  Has there been a policy letter or manual change posted?  We have both NBB and Hawk grads that are chomping at the bit to wear their stuff, but we have been waiting for official guidance.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

floridacyclist

Gen Pineda was at one of our meetings and was asked about that...he said go for it....that once it was voted on and published, it was as good as regs.

Of course, I'm not sure how much weight he carries now.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

mikeylikey

^  I would not go on that.  I would rather go on a policy letter or even better a NEW 39-1   What is the hold up??  I along with a  few others had written a letter to NHQ and offered to make the new 39-1.  We outlined it and offered huge suggestions.  It would be formatted way differently and be much easier to use.  The wording would not be vague and the pictures would be black and white drawings, not pictures of people.  It would show more detail.  We also would include "how to" sections ranging from rolling sleeves to care of boots. 

What answer did we get "We are currently looking at outsourcing the production of CAP materials". 

My question.......why are we paying people at NHQ to not do what they are supposed to be doing??
What's up monkeys?

CadetProgramGuy

We have a PM From our Wing CC clearing the way for Hawk Mtn and Blue Baret acquired gear.

Ranger rolls and Berets are good as far as I know.

mikeylikey

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 16, 2007, 07:54:45 PM
We have a PM From our Wing CC clearing the way for Hawk Mtn and Blue Beret acquired gear.

I have serious problems with "ranger rolls".  That is illegal according to 39-1, NO Commander at any level can change that unless it is changed in 39-1.  There is no clause for commanders to authorize ranger rolls. 
What's up monkeys?

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 16, 2007, 08:55:48 PM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 16, 2007, 07:54:45 PM
We have a PM From our Wing CC clearing the way for Hawk Mtn and Blue Beret acquired gear.

I have serious problems with "ranger rolls".  That is illegal according to 39-1, NO Commander at any level can change that unless it is changed in 39-1.  There is no clause for commanders to authorize ranger rolls. 

Trust me I had issues with it until August Boards said you could.  When I have the linky figured out I will post it here for you.

mikeylikey

^  It is actually written that cadets can roll thier hats?  Is it just cadets and officers who went to HAWK or can EVERYONE?  Because a ranger roll is not just a HAWK MTN thing, right?
What's up monkeys?

CadetProgramGuy

I found the PM from my Wing CC, I can PM it if you want to see it.  Not sure If I can post it here though.

mikeylikey

Speaking of awarding hawk and BB items, the Ranger School OIC has said to me "I am going to see what else we can invent, so we can wear more" It was said jokingly, but I have a funny feeling that he meant it.
What's up monkeys?

Becks

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 16, 2007, 10:11:04 PM
Speaking of awarding hawk and BB items, the Ranger School OIC has said to me "I am going to see what else we can invent, so we can wear more" It was said jokingly, but I have a funny feeling that he meant it.
Find me my vomit smiley please...

And in regard to the MAJCOM on our NBB's...those of us who were there this year were given a very clear and direct verbal order from the director saying to wear them.

BBATW

mikeylikey

I like the idea of wearing the MAJCOM.......but written somewhere?
What's up monkeys?