Gortex Parka: Where to Purchase, and What Components?

Started by chadrm, August 10, 2007, 03:12:04 PM

MIKE

This is off topic, but since we are drifting this way I might as well ask:

Would anyone be interested in contributing to a sticky that would contain the current price list for the AAFES MCSS USAF catalog and instructions for ordering by phone?
Mike Johnston

JayT

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 10, 2007, 05:43:13 PM
The blue slide was invented to make money for Vanguard.  No reason we could not have just slid on the subdued slides, or pinned rank with a "CAP" cutout.  Makes me sick.  Even worse.......pay $1.40 for the new blue slide, and $7.00 for shipping.  Last time I looked, a padded envelope from USPS, and a shipping ground cost $2.00  WTF?

Thats a terrible idea.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SSgt Rudin

Okay, I give up, what are the zippers on the arms for?  ???
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

jeders

Quote from: SSgt Rudin on January 17, 2008, 04:59:46 AM
Okay, I give up, what are the zippers on the arms for?  ???

I believe they are so you can remove your arms from the jacket. Why you would want to do that, I don't know.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

arajca

They are to allow for ventilation and cooling off without removing the jacket.

afgeo4

I will stick to the ole proven method of cooling off... removing outer garment. Anyone know if there's anything for rain situations? Poncho? Rain jacket?
GEORGE LURYE

Ned

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 17, 2008, 05:43:49 AM
I will stick to the ole proven method of cooling off... removing outer garment.

Unless it is raining hard and you are wearing load-bearing equipment, in which case your options are a little more limited. ;)

Ned Lee
(retired infantry guy)

afgeo4

Quote from: Ned on January 17, 2008, 06:32:08 AM

Unless it is raining hard and you are wearing load-bearing equipment, in which case your options are a little more limited. ;)

Ned Lee
(retired infantry guy)
oh I dunno... given the non-combatant nature of our work, I think I could sacrifice a few seconds to stop and remove my vest/suspenders to remove an article of clothing to ensure that I stay cool and dry on the inside (what's the point of wearing rain gear if you're sweating like a pig on the inside?)
GEORGE LURYE

Hawk200

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 18, 2008, 02:42:03 AM

Ned Lee
(retired infantry guy)
oh I dunno... given the non-combatant nature of our work, I think I could sacrifice a few seconds to stop and remove my vest/suspenders to remove an article of clothing to ensure that I stay cool and dry on the inside (what's the point of wearing rain gear if you're sweating like a pig on the inside?)

OK, let me get this straight: You're going to remove an outergarment, in the rain, with the intention of staying dry?

Someone tell me what I'm missing here.

SSgt Rudin

I would just like to congratulate Vanguard on yet another quality product; The blank tab for Cadet & SM NCO's is just the right size that if you put a Chief insignia on it it completely covers the A, Senior Master Sergeant fits in the ^ of the A and Master Sergeant comes up to the - in the A. I didn't bother to see if C/Capt of C/Col fit on there, but probably not, since they are supposed to be embroidered, but I guess for now C/Officers have to buy the blank and sew on their rank... hooray Vanguard!
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

mikeylikey

Vanguard Strikes again!  For the millionth time!   YAAAAAAY
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 18, 2008, 03:01:46 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 18, 2008, 02:42:03 AM

Ned Lee
(retired infantry guy)

OK, let me get this straight: You're going to remove an outergarment, in the rain, with the intention of staying dry?

Someone tell me what I'm missing here.

HA HA! No... the intent is to stay cool. The specific outergarment here is the APECS Parka, which is quite warm and not rain gear. There's a goretex rain parka for that.
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 18, 2008, 05:30:10 AM
Vanguard Strikes again!  For the millionth time!   YAAAAAAY

You guys notice the Vanguard article in the Volunteer???

We're paying this much money for items that simply don't work for our uniforms so that PA Wing can have a rappelling tower at the Hawk Mtn School, which does not allow ALL members to use it because Hawk Mtn is a selective school.

Other project mentioned was training facility for the Blue Beret activity. Again, an activity that does not allow or admit all members.

Contributions by all shall not constitute benefits for some!

What is this? Colonial America? Taxation without representation stuff? Haven't we gotten over all that?

I was okay with part of profits from Vanguard going back to CAP when it was stated that those profits would go to create Regional Training Centers. If each Region HQ created a training center for all members to use, it would be just fine.

Instead, they decided to dupe the members into thinking that and gave the money to elitist programs to boost up their numbers? I say FOUL!
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

^ You Sir are totally Correct!  I could not agree more. 

Now if they took the Blue Beret (facility??) and the Hawk Facility and made them the first Regional Training Centers or Facilities, I would have no problem.  But when HAWK Leadership denies the use of Hawk MTN land (which NHQ owns) to CAP SQD's and Groups that wish to train there, I say close the place down!

It is silly to be in business with Vanguard in the first place.  CAP members should be able to get anything for our uniforms ANYWHERE!  I think the whole Vanguard only law was a boost to someone's pocketbook at NHQ.  I would like to see an investigation into it by the GAO!
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 18, 2008, 07:24:51 PM
^ You Sir are totally Correct!  I could not agree more. 

Now if they took the Blue Beret (facility??) and the Hawk Facility and made them the first Regional Training Centers or Facilities, I would have no problem.  But when HAWK Leadership denies the use of Hawk MTN land (which NHQ owns) to CAP SQD's and Groups that wish to train there, I say close the place down!

It is silly to be in business with Vanguard in the first place.  CAP members should be able to get anything for our uniforms ANYWHERE!  I think the whole Vanguard only law was a boost to someone's pocketbook at NHQ.  I would like to see an investigation into it by the GAO!

Given the fact that NHQ has the obligation to keep membership costs (specifically uniform costs) down for the members, I think there should be an IG investigation. The membership was not advised before the decision was made to lock it into purchasing items through Vanguard. Vanguard can apparently sell CAP items at lower prices while maintaining the same exact profits. The thing that keeps prices up is their agreement to donate part of profits back to CAP. We, the members apparently don't have a say in this. We also don't have a say in what OUR money gets used for.

We SHOULD have a choice in whether we'd like a part of our expenses donated back to CAP. That way, if we don't like what OUR money is going toward, we will opt out of the donation.

DONATIONS CANNOT BE FORCED!
GEORGE LURYE

Ned

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 18, 2008, 09:20:32 PM
Given the fact that NHQ has the obligation to keep membership costs (specifically uniform costs) down for the members, I think there should be an IG investigation. The membership was not advised before the decision was made to lock it into purchasing items through Vanguard. Vanguard can apparently sell CAP items at lower prices while maintaining the same exact profits. The thing that keeps prices up is their agreement to donate part of profits back to CAP. We, the members apparently don't have a say in this. We also don't have a say in what OUR money gets used for.

We SHOULD have a choice in whether we'd like a part of our expenses donated back to CAP. That way, if we don't like what OUR money is going toward, we will opt out of the donation.

DONATIONS CANNOT BE FORCED!

George,

There are no Black Helicopters here, or even an evil  conspiracy to deprive you of your hard-earned pennies every time you order a uniform item.

Just a wise and prudent business decision by our volunteer leaders.

Yup, we grant Vanguard the uniform stuff franchise for CAP and in return we get some money back that the NB has chosen to spend on regional training centers.

I grant you that logically means that Vanguard could sell the items at a lower price -- the same per centage that they return to NHQ. 

But the fallacy is in concluding that absent their contract with NHQ, that they would lower their prices. 

We found out the hard way that we could not economically run our own uniform and book supply.  We tried very hard with both the Bookstore and CAPMart.  But even with talented folks trying their best to make a go of it, we consistently lost significant amounts of money.

So, the NB chose to contract through Vanguard, one of the nation's largest uniform stuff suppliers.  As part of the contract, we required that they return a small amount of each purchase to us.

We turned this around from a net loss to a net gain for the corporation.  We no longer have to maintain a warehouse, pay overhead and employee costs, and suffer through member complaints about bad service by our own employees.  (And yes, I understand that some folks don't like the service at Vanguard any better.)

BTW, this is almost a universal arrangement for groups like ours.  I don't know where you live, but here in San Jose, California, if I want to buy Boy Scout equipment, uniforms, or insignia I have to go to the Scout House store in the Council headquarters to buy it.

(They still have great knives and field gear!  Not to mention Pinewood Derby kits.  :))

Same for the Girl Scouts, Campfire, the American Red Cross, and every darn parochial school in the area.

And guess who benefits in part from those purchases?  The organization in question.

I'm sorry you don't get to be fully briefed and/or vote on every business decision our leaders make on our behalf.  But if it helps, I don't get to vote on it either.
And it is worth remembering that the "return of a portion of the proceeds to CAP" aspect was well publicised at the time of the change-over.

Finally, it is also worth remembering that our USAF partners include "Faith in the System" as part of their Core Value of Service Before Self.

Quote from: The USAF 'Little Blue Book'Faith in the system. To lose faith in the system is to adopt the view that you know better than those above you in the chain of command what should or should not be done. In other words, to lose faith in the system is to place self before service. Leaders can be very influential in this regard: if a leader resists the temptation to doubt `the system', then subordinates may follow suit.

RiverAux

QuoteTo lose faith in the system is to adopt the view that you know better than those above you in the chain of command what should or should not be done.
Just because some one is above me in the CAP chain of command has absolutely no bearing on whether or not they know what should or should not be done.  It is solely a quirk of fate based on who either has the time and wants to be in charge or who didn't want to do it but got talked into it, and internal CAP politics.  Unlike the AF, the CAP chain of command is not a merit-based system.

Ned

Quote from: RiverAux on January 19, 2008, 12:29:02 AM
[Just because some one is above me in the CAP chain of command has absolutely no bearing on whether or not they know what should or should not be done. 

Yeah, those silly Air Force guys probably got it wrong again.  What do they know about leadership and Core Values, anyway?

QuoteUnlike the AF, the CAP chain of command is not a merit-based system.

Cuz there are certainly no politics in selection of senior AF commanders, are there? ::)

The great majority of CAP corporate officers are selected after a competitive process, involving review of the members' qualifications, proposed vision for the command, and are required to meet standards of training and experience set out in our regulations.

That -- pretty much by definition -- is a merit-based process.

And not altogether different in concept than what USAF senior commanders go through (minimum standards set by regulation, competitive board makes recommendations, final selection by senior commander).

Sure, there have been some notable problems with the process.  And maybe you or I might have made different selections in some circumstances.

But unilaterally deciding that since you don't like the process prescribed by regs that you therefore don't owe a duty of loyalty and respect  (aka "faith in the system") is a little . . . self-serving, don't you think?

Every USAF airman sitting around the dorm whining about "the brass" would undoubtedly tell you they didn't think their general was selected by a merit-based system, either.

Let's aim a little higher.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Ned on January 19, 2008, 01:02:16 AM
The great majority of CAP corporate officers are selected after a competitive process, involving review of the members' qualifications, proposed vision for the command, and are required to meet standards of training and experience set out in our regulations.

I usually agree with what you say, and do so in your previous post, all say the quote above.  I know my Wing Commander is selected based on the idea that the Previous Wing Commander reccomend who should replace him.  Such that, the Vice gets the job, his vice gets the job, his vice gets the job etc.  It has been that way for 15 years, maybe more.  I also am able to see that Region Commanders are selected based on what support they throw the way of the National Commander.  We will have to wait and see how Courter either does the same, or goes against 20 years of such practice.

Commands at all levels are political appointees.  There can be no other way of looking at it.  However, I will concede that there may be a few who actually are appointed based on qualifications, but that is not the normal procedure.
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Mike Johnston