Gortex Parka: Where to Purchase, and What Components?

Started by chadrm, August 10, 2007, 03:12:04 PM

MIKE

Quote from: chadrm on August 10, 2007, 06:17:04 PM
I think this is my last question:

What is the official model number / name of the CAP-approved gortex parka?

I'm seeing ECWCS, and "Gen II", and and and...  I'm researching a buy, and I want to be sure I get the right thing.

There isn't one.  They appear to show a Gen. I parka in the ICL, but don't make any specification.  I happen to have a Gen. II parka and trou... It has an NSN just like the Gen. I and the newer generations do.

Mike Johnston

Hawk200

I'm seeing ECWCS, and "Gen II", and and and...  I'm researching a buy, and I want to be sure I get the right thing.

As Pylon said, the later numbers are just updates. The Gen I is the original design, a little heavier, designed primarily for use with the Extended Cold Weather Clothing System. That consisted of polypropylene underwear, a fiber pile jacket and bib-style overalls (commonly called the "bear suit", ithe original was brown), and then the Gore-Tex outer. That jacket is most likely going to be the cheapest bet for you.

The Gen II has a hood that is either removeable, or designed to roll up better. It doesn't have the same internal liner that the Gen I had, it's lighter weight, and it's lightweight enough to use as rain jacket without being hot. From what I understand, the Army wants to go with the Gen II so they don't have to issue a separate Gore-Tex and rain jacket. It is more expensive though.

I know the Gen III is out there, but I haven't seen one personally. I wouldn't bother with it, it's like to be worth it's weight in gold, literally. I don't know anything about it's differences from the other two. Probably not worth the money.

LtCol White

Quote from: Pylon on August 10, 2007, 06:20:04 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on August 10, 2007, 03:49:57 PM
Have to agree here. I think the initial authorization will be more like summer - fall 08

That's pure speculation.  CAP-USAF/CC indicated in an interview that CAP would get the ABU but not until the USAF finishing clothing their folks in it, which is slated for completion in 2011.  We've got a few years to wait.

Thanks,
Chad

Gen I, Gen II, etc. refer to "updates" of the parka design, basically.  They are all acceptable for wear, so long as they are the true mil-spec ECWCS Gortex parka.

Mike, the conversation I had with the individual said that once it was avail in AAFES, they would set the date for CAP. Presently USAF is ahead of sched on these and it will be in MCCS locations Sept/Oct
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

mikeylikey

AAFES online has the ABU parka.  "Air Force Apecs Digital Tiger Jacket
Price...$173.00"  Noticed they changed the position of the rank slide sleeve.  Or you can go with the BDU parka for $153.00  If what I read above is true we could possibly be in the ABU by next JAN? 
What's up monkeys?

JarakMaldon

Quote from: mikeylikeyIf what I read above is true we could possibly be in the ABU by next JAN?

I wouldn't count on it until official word comes down.  However, I don't think that will stop some high-speeders from running out and getting a set or two from wherever they can, anticipating the day.

They've cleared out space on the shelves at the local MCSS, but no ABUs sit on them yet.  They do have the green boots and all the accessories, though.
J.M.S. - 2d Lt, USAF / Capt, CAP / 2LT, AG, USACC
Penn State '06 - I are intelligent.

chadrm

Just to be sure nothing's changed:  civilian CAP members CANNOT use AAFES online, correct?

mikeylikey

^ Correct, but you can use the catalog.  Everything online has a catalog number.  Most items are less expensive than vanguard, and they charge less shipping.  You will most likely get the item sooner as well. 
What's up monkeys?

chadrm

Paper catalog, or online catalog?  Seems one needs a username/password online.

MIKE

Paper catalog... You can get them at MCSS or get some shipped to your unit.  The difficult bit is getting a current printout of the price list.  You also need to "register" and provide your details before they will let you order by phone.

CAP is not authorized to purchase online and must either order by phone or go to the store.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

Just a warning to those of you that can order from aafees.com...they charge you individually for each item you purchase.

So if you order 5 BDU caps there will be 5 individual charges on your bank statement...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

Would it be improper/unlawful for someone who has access to aafes.com to take orders for members who don't?
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 11, 2007, 09:58:54 PM
Just a warning to those of you that can order from aafees.com...they charge you individually for each item you purchase.

So if you order 5 BDU caps there will be 5 individual charges on your bank statement...

Never saw that before.  Possibly backordered items will post to your account when they become available.  I will have to look again now.
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: MIKE on August 11, 2007, 10:10:24 PM
Would it be improper/unlawful for someone who has access to aafes.com to take orders for members who don't?

I don't think it's unlawful/improper to order items that they are eligible to purchase on their own.  I think they would frown on CAP members doing all their shopping on the site, but since we're supposed to have access to the MCSS, ordering uniform items for your squadron members shouldn't be an issue...I do it all the time. ::)

mikeylikey

^ As do I.  No reason not too.  I also printed out the numbers of all the MCSS stores in CONUS.  If you find something that is backordered, start at the top of the call list and talk to a store clerk at each location until you find what you are needing.  They will ship it to you the same day from the store in most instances.  In fact, I tell people to call up the store, explain they are in CAP and looking for an item.  They will usually give you less hassle then if you called catalog sales and try to register the first time.
What's up monkeys?

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 12, 2007, 12:56:15 AM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 11, 2007, 09:58:54 PM

Never saw that before.  Possibly backordered items will post to your account when they become available.  I will have to look again now.

Happens to me every other time I order from them. My bank calls me asking about the charges. They are always suspicious that someone is trying to keep running my card til it's dry.

mikeylikey

^  I don't care for that practice on their part then.  I will look over my past orders, and may have to send a nasty gram their way!
What's up monkeys?