Gortex Parka: Where to Purchase, and What Components?

Started by chadrm, August 10, 2007, 03:12:04 PM

chadrm

Hello,

1.)  where should one buy an approved AF gortex parka for CAP wear?  Is this a BX item?  I don't think I've ever seen them on the racks.  Might it be a special order thing?  Are approved AF parkas available in some other way?

2.)  is the parka an all-in-one package deal, or is it the sort of thing that's "three season, and has removeable shell, fleece liner, etc.?  Does one have to be careful to buy all components, or does the thing come complete?

Thanks,
Chad

LtCol White

Some MCCS stores carry them or there are catalogs and ebay. However, I wouldn't spend the money right now on it since we'll be going to the ABU and the Gortex jacket will be in the new pattern.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

chadrm

Is there a ballpark approval / wear date for the ABU?  Rumor?  Fact (haven't seen any new uniform regs)?

Thanks

LtCol White

Quote from: chadrm on August 10, 2007, 03:17:58 PM
Is there a ballpark approval / wear date for the ABU?  Rumor?  Fact (haven't seen any new uniform regs)?

Thanks

Nothing official has been put out in writing  but USAF has said we will wear the ABU
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

JC004

I bought Gore-Tex pants (new condition) from guardhousesupply on eBay.  Really fast shipping, good service, decent price.  He said that he's going to get another shipment of Gore-Tex in soon.  I would recommend sending him a message on eBay.

chadrm

Let's put it this way:  will the ABU be approved before this Fall / Winter?

Wondering if I want to go another winter wearing the old-school cotton heavy jacket with no hood deal.

JC004

Quote from: chadrm on August 10, 2007, 03:43:53 PM

Wondering if I want to go another winter wearing the old-school cotton heavy jacket with no hood deal.

I would get a Gore-Tex parka.  Can still be worn in higher temperatures and sheds the water nicely.  Of course, you could buy an M-65 from the General Colgan Supply Depot...I have a drum of them in my personal supply.   ;)

MIKE

I think it's safe to say, no.
Mike Johnston

LtCol White

Quote from: MIKE on August 10, 2007, 03:47:13 PM

I think it's safe to say, no

Have to agree here. I think the initial authorization will be more like summer - fall 08
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

JC004

Quote from: LtCol White on August 10, 2007, 03:49:57 PM
Quote from: MIKE on August 10, 2007, 03:47:13 PM

I think it's safe to say, no

Have to agree here. I think the initial authorization will be more like summer - fall 08

Or maybe something completely different, which is being shown at the Town Hall meeting fashion show, which they won't stream for us   :(

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on August 10, 2007, 03:54:43 PM
TRU in Multicam perhaps?  ;D

Do you actually want us to get lost in the woods? Multicam is one of the most effective 2D camo's in existance. In the digital, at least we'd stand out.

chadrm

This is all moot until the blue CAP grade slides become available, correct?  The parka cannot be properly worn without the slide, right?  These are still not available?

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

chadrm

Wow!  Look at that!  The slides, *and* a new web site.  Didn't know that had happened.

Thanks

JC004

Quote from: chadrm on August 10, 2007, 04:16:09 PM
Wow!  Look at that!  The slides, *and* a new web site.  Didn't know that had happened.

Thanks

It's a front.  They are still the same ol'.  Don't fall for it!  Don't follow the light!

mikeylikey

The blue slide was invented to make money for Vanguard.  No reason we could not have just slid on the subdued slides, or pinned rank with a "CAP" cutout.  Makes me sick.  Even worse.......pay $1.40 for the new blue slide, and $7.00 for shipping.  Last time I looked, a padded envelope from USPS, and a shipping ground cost $2.00  WTF?
What's up monkeys?

chadrm

I think this is my last question:

What is the official model number / name of the CAP-approved gortex parka?

I'm seeing ECWCS, and "Gen II", and and and...  I'm researching a buy, and I want to be sure I get the right thing.

Thanks,
Chad

Pylon

Quote from: LtCol White on August 10, 2007, 03:49:57 PM

That's pure speculation.  CAP-USAF/CC indicated in an interview that CAP would get the ABU but not until the USAF finishing clothing their folks in it, which is slated for completion in 2011.  We've got a few years to wait.

Quote from: chadrm on August 10, 2007, 06:17:04 PM
I think this is my last question:

What is the official model number / name of the CAP-approved gortex parka?

I'm seeing ECWCS, and "Gen II", and and and...  I'm researching a buy, and I want to be sure I get the right thing.

Thanks,
Chad

Gen I, Gen II, etc. refer to "updates" of the parka design, basically.  They are all acceptable for wear, so long as they are the true mil-spec ECWCS Gortex parka.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP