Main Menu

Master Trainer Progam

Started by arajca, June 23, 2007, 05:43:17 PM

arajca

This past week I attended the "Management and Supervision of Training" course put on by FEMA as the first step for its Master Trainer Program. MSOT was an overview of the program with some generic practical exercises through in to keep you busy at night (yes, homerwork). After completing this course, students are invited to apply for the Master Trainer Program. There is a selection process and not everyone gets accepted. If you are on wing staff and have any training management responsibility, I strongly recommend applying for the MSOT and the MTP.

That being said, I have attended a few courses at the Emergency Management Institute (EMI) in Emmitsburg, MD. EMI is the general training arm of FEMA. During these courses, I have worked with emergency management personnel at all levels, for police dept training sgts. to state directors of emergency management to FEMA regional training coordinators. Very few of these folks had even heard of CAP, let alone had a clue what CAP can do. Most appeared receptive to talking to local and state CAP reps and I have tried to pass along some information to them. If you have the opportunity, talk to these people. They are the ones who decide which organizations get onto the state resource lists and what capabilities are associated with them.

IceNine

before or after Katrina?  It is my understand having spoken with several of the IC's that worked that mission that FEMA now is intimately familiar with what we can do.  Granted that was south.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

arajca

After. Some folks at FEMA may be, but FEMA as an organization is not. I spent some time exchanging email with the EMI folks to determine that I qualify for the program and that I qualify for the subsidized training. Subsidized meaning airfare reimbursement, no cost lodging, no materials cost, no course cost, but I still had to pay for meals ($94.50/week).

IceNine

what of the many available pieces of training made you eligible?  CAP or other?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

arajca

My job as Colorado Wing Comunications Training Officer.

I think any CAP SM on wing staff who has a training program responsibility can qualify. The program is written and expects work at the UD or grad level, so some college experience is helpful, and at least an Associates degree is required to progress beyond E601 - MSOT.

arajca

To continue, I need to identify a training need and as I complete the MTP, develop a training program (including courses) to meet this need. I have decided on the need for an integrated and NIMS compliant comm training program. Currently, comm training is done haphazardly with no thought into how it fits into the overall ES program. MRO and CUL training is typically handled on the fly, with no thought given to training more than one or two people at a time. On the professional development side, training for comm personnel is non-existant, beyond B/A-CUT. The tests are there for the knowledge, but I haven't found any standard programs for the rest of it.

I would like to know if anyone at the wing or higher levels has developed an integrated program or would be interested in helping to develop an integrated program. If so, please pm me with details or sources.

The products of this program will be made availalble to all.

SeattleSarge

Quote from: arajca on June 23, 2007, 05:43:17 PM
I have attended a few courses at the Emergency Management Institute (EMI) in Emmitsburg, MD. EMI is the general training arm of FEMA.

I think the Emergency Management Institute is probably the best kept secret (not) in the Federal Government.

Having attended six courses at Emmitsburg,  I can concur that the training received there is second to none.  I would highly reccomend the Advanced Public Information Officer Course for CAP PAO/MIO personnel.

It's not that difficult to apply if you can justify you will use the training.

http://training.fema.gov/

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

arajca

Well, I just got word, I'm attending the second course in the MTP in Dec.

E-602 Performance and Needs Assessment

They still have openings for E-601 Management and Supervision of Training in Dec. If you have a wing level position, sign up.

Now, I'm just waiting for the letter of recommendation from my wing director to apply for the whole program.

arajca

I was checking the vacancies, and there are 23 vacancies for the E-601 Management and Supervision of Training for the 3-7 Mar 08 session. This is the first step in  the Master Trainer program.

A list of all the vacancies for first semester FY2008 is available here.

I STRONGLY encourage folks to take advantage of these courses, if possible. FEMA pays for the course, puts you up on campus, and reimburses your airfare/mileage. You pay for meals (currently <$20/day).

PS. FEMA has a whole slew of vacancies for the ICS TTT.

arajca

Well, I've completed the Performance and Needs Assessment (PNA) class. Interesting class, useful process. To continue in the program, I am working on a PNA for training unit communications officers. Over the next couple weeks, I'll be developing a survey to help determine the current training that unit communications officers receive and get some details on it.

If you are a current or former communications officer, let me know by PM if you'd be interested in participating.

I envision the end product as a 16 hour combination online and face-to-face training program emphasizing communications management and planning. The development process will probably take about 9 - 12 months. I've talked with the head of the Comm. Trng. Working Group and the position description in CAPR 20-1 isn't on the agenda for change.

James Shaw

Fredrick Community College in Fredrick Maryland also has an Associates Degree in Emergency Management and most of the classes are classes through EMI. The only bad thing is that you have to pay for all of the credit hours at once. It is around $1500.

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

arajca

I received a nice present from FEMA today. I've been officially accepted into the full Master Trainer Program. Only five more classes left.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: caphistorian on December 17, 2007, 05:06:30 PM
Fredrick Community College in Fredrick Maryland also has an Associates Degree in Emergency Management and most of the classes are classes through EMI. The only bad thing is that you have to pay for all of the credit hours at once. It is around $1500.

You mean to say there is a Community College giving out Associate Degrees for 1500?  SIGN ME UP! lol

Seriously, Ive been to the site. While they will give 1 credit hour (at 50 bucks each?)
for each class taken, I didnt know they gave out an associates. 
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

chiles

Towson University has an all on-line Masters in Integrated Homeland Security. I'm about half way through it with a specialty in Public Health Readiness. http://www.towson.edu/hsm/
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878