Cadet Officer Shoulder Boards and Service Coat With Epaulets

Started by Cadetter, November 17, 2017, 03:52:49 PM

Cadetter

(I'm the only cadet officer in my squadron.) Is it possible to attach the velcro shoulder boards to a service coat with epaulets, and if so, how?
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Thats how many do it.

Put the fuzzy side of good-quality self-adhesive vecro on the epaulet and
the hook side on the shoulder board.  I'd suggest several 1" squares or strips
vs. a full, long piece as a long piece may grip too much and getting them off
for cleaning the coat or promotions might just yank the velcro right off.

If you're able to unbutton the epaulet, you can sew the velcro onto that side.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: Eclipse on November 17, 2017, 03:59:04 PM

If you're able to unbutton the epaulet, you can sew the velcro onto that side.

I just used a curled needle to sew the Velcro (tm) onto the boards.  But however you do it, Velcro (tm) is definitely the way to go.

Ned Lee

OldGuy

I recall sewing little metal snaps onto the epaulets and gluing same onto the boards. But it has been 40+ years, so my memory may be faulty.

PHall

Quote from: Cicero on November 17, 2017, 10:58:31 PM
I recall sewing little metal snaps onto the epaulets and gluing same onto the boards. But it has been 40+ years, so my memory may be faulty.

That used to be they way we did it, until velcro came along.

arajca

I remember sewing the snaps onto the shirt without epaulets.

darkmatter

I had to press the adhesive on them then sew them other wise when I would get promoted And run the risk of pulling the vilco off with the cap shoulder boards. My Velcro also didint stick well to the epaulets the first time around so when I made 2nd Lt (part 2) the cmdr took the shoulder boards and all even un pinned the epaulets

OldGuy

Quote from: PHall on November 17, 2017, 11:11:50 PM
Quote from: Cicero on November 17, 2017, 10:58:31 PM

That used to be they way we did it, until velcro came along.
You are saying I am old, right? (Sigh, and I had no clue. Velcro?)

Mitchell 1969

I did something different to mine. Undid the bottom cover of the shoulder board at both ends, then glued a single brass ribbon bar to each end. Pulled the cover back, popping the nails through it, then sewed the bottom cover back. Took 15 minutes to do two shoulder boards. Then I'd just pin them onto the epaulettes, using the clutch backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Lance

Hi Bernie - I did pretty much the same thing using a brass triple ribbon bar running the length of the shoulder board.  I held the bar in place with electricians tape - held for years. - Lance
Dr. Lance J. Edwards, Colonel, CAP, Retired
Professor of Business, Retired
C/Lt Colonel, joined 1966
Mitchell, 1969, Earhart, 1970, Eaker, 1973
IACE, 1972 & 1979, Wilson #394, DSM, 1989