The Passing of ARCHER

Started by smithwr2, December 18, 2013, 06:33:20 PM

scooter

Does anyone know where the working Archer systems are?

Smithsonia

We have one in Denver. It is flown mostly by the Black Sheep Squadron. I am in the Black Sheep.

It is kept at Buckley Air Force Base (BKF) I've been trying to get the Archer System pulled
and make photo windows in the back for Airborne photo missions. The one window in the back is placed in an inconvenient place which causes fatigue. Instead
I think the GA8 would make a decent platform for shooting digital photos out of both sides so we do one pass AP missions and are home for downloading quicker.

So far nobody else likes the idea much. We still have Archer crews who use it enough to keep it up and running.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

a2capt

As the qualified people run out, the draw will be less and less.

When you had those who had the qualifications sitting on it, "keeping it for themselves", by never getting around to training others, and when they had feet to the fire on offering classes, gave ambiguous information so that one time pass/fail trial had great odds of failing..

That mentality migrated to the Green Flag people, it seemed.. as they were for a while, trashing applications, instead of forwarding them, getting creeped out if others talked about it, etc. "Oh, they're going to find out, apply, get accepted, and we won't get all the missions for ourselves!!!"

That kind of thing just burned me out on CAP flying for ES, it did..

RiverAux

Thought I saw something in some official place about ARCHER going away...

Eclipse

My favorite was the crew at a major national airshow telling people you weren't allowed to fly the GA-8 unless you
were Archer qual'ed.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 21, 2013, 09:23:42 PM
My favorite was the crew at a major national airshow telling people you weren't allowed to fly the GA-8 unless you
were Archer qual'ed.
At one time that was true.....but should not have been.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Rediculous at all, but confirmed at the time not the case.

These gents clearly wanted to keep a small circle flying "their" plane.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 21, 2013, 09:42:25 PM
Rediculous at all, but confirmed at the time not the case.

These gents clearly wanted to keep a small circle flying "their" plane.
Granted that may have been the case.....they may have also just been repeating the misinformation they were told.....because we all know that everyone in CAP is always as good as you in passing on "true" information.

Don't always ascribe to evil what can be pinned on simple ignorance/incompetence.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

I reject your glass, and substitute mine, which isn't "half empty", "its twice as big as it needs to be"...

"That Others May Zoom"