Goddard ribbon with silver star

Started by I_Am_Twigs, July 01, 2019, 04:10:52 AM

I_Am_Twigs

Quoteh. Dr. Robert H. Goddard Achievement. Successfully complete the specific requirements in Phase II listed for this achievement. NOTE: A silver star may be attached to the Goddard Ribbon by those cadets who have earned their Mitchell Award and have satisfactorily completed the requirements for the Model Rocketry Badge (reference CAPR 50-20, CAP Model Rocketry Program).

I was just wondering why this was a thing. Why would I have to be required to be a cadet officer to be able to wear a silver star on my Goddard ribbon for completing the Model Rocketry Program? In all honesty it just seems like a useless rule to me.
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Actually, what's the point of the star at all?

A cadet who completes the Rocketry program is going to have the badge, and if they
dark-side with the Mitchel would wear that, (or higher), not the Goddard.

"That Others May Zoom"

baronet68

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on July 01, 2019, 04:10:52 AM
Quoteh. Dr. Robert H. Goddard Achievement. Successfully complete the specific requirements in Phase II listed for this achievement. NOTE: A silver star may be attached to the Goddard Ribbon by those cadets who have earned their Mitchell Award and have satisfactorily completed the requirements for the Model Rocketry Badge (reference CAPR 50-20, CAP Model Rocketry Program).

I was just wondering why this was a thing. Why would I have to be required to be a cadet officer to be able to wear a silver star on my Goddard ribbon for completing the Model Rocketry Program? In all honesty it just seems like a useless rule to me.

When the CAP model rocketry badge was first authorized in 1970, there doesn't appear to have been a Goddard star.  However, uniform clutter was a major concern at the time and in January 1971 CAP adopted a minimalist policy, eliminating almost all activity ribbons from the uniform, eliminating the Goddard Ribbon, and requiring cadet officers to remove all prior achievement ribbons upon earning the Mitchell Award. 

The Goddard star seems to have come about shortly after the restoration of the Goddard Ribbon in late 1971.  The star's intention may have been to provide a minimalist alternative for cadet officers to REPLACE their rocketry badge with the star.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

baronet68

Quote from: Eclipse on July 01, 2019, 05:13:57 AM
Actually, what's the point of the star at all?

A cadet who completes the Rocketry program is going to have the badge, and if they
dark-side with the Mitchel would wear that, (or higher), not the Goddard.

The Goddard star DOES NOT crossover to the dark side. 

Only the Mitchell star (for attending Cadet Officer School) crosses over to the dark-side member's highest cadet milestone.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

Quote from: baronet68 on July 01, 2019, 07:23:33 AM
The Goddard star DOES NOT crossover to the dark side. 

Yes, that's literally what I said.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Are we done here?

Bueller?

Yup, done. Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

I_Am_Twigs

I think you missed the button again sir  :)
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill