CAP NYW Leadership Encampment 2009 Attendees

Started by BTCS1 C/CC, September 25, 2009, 02:47:34 AM

BTCS1 C/CC

Share yourr expierience and what your role was in the flight, if any.
C/TSgt W

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Michael

I was in the Powered Flight Academy, better known as Papa Flight.

I had a blast.  I logged around 6 hours in the Cessna 172 and came so close to soloing.  I realized during that week that I really want to become a pilot.

It was one of the best weeks in my life, and some of those that were with me could say the same.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

Ozzy

hey Coons, quick question for a cadet in my squadron, as you already went to the academy: Do you need any experience, ground school or training, to do the academy?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Michael

That was actually a question I had myself before I went.

I am pretty sure that the staff actually prefer that you have no prior flight training experience.

You just have to be at least a C/CMSgt (I think), and have attended a NYWg Encampment before.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

Eagle 1

Hey Coons, it's Rollins. Fancy meeting you here ;)

My first Encampment was in 2008 as a C/CMSgt in Delta Flight, and I had a blast. We had a pretty good relationship with our sister flight, Charlie (making Chelta Flight), and despite what people said about how being an inflight CMSgt is bad - it was awesome. If anyone is going to an encampment for the first time at that high of a grade though, just make sure you know your stuff and know how to talk with younger and inexperienced cadets (they'll be looking to you...even in the middle of the night...)

Second year I went as a C/1st Lt and member of Papa Flight. I'll let the pictures do the talking for that one though:
http://nassau-cap.us.to/photos/encampment2009.html

QuoteYou just have to be at least a C/CMSgt (I think), and have attended a NYWg Encampment before.
Those were last year's requirements, so they will probably be the same this year.

I think only one of us had prior flight training. I studied up on the aerospace modules just prior to attending encampment, which was a help. By the time a member is a C/CMSgt they should be through those books anyway, so there's your prior experience ;)

Last year's application did require an essay on why you wanted to fly though, and there were only four slots for powered flight and two for glider, so it's competitive. Also, you don't pay for encampment at the time of application - only if you're accepted (which makes sense).

Eagle 1

I just wanted to add on to the flight academy requirements since I was reminded of it tonight. Before attending you also need to obtain a Class III Medical Certificate / Student Pilot Certificate (it's the same thing).

I can help anyone out who wants to know how to get one, but the first time I heard about it I believe it was after I was accepted (it would make no sense for them to force you to pay for one if you're not going to the academy). I would suggest waiting until then to get it, especially since there is also a time limit for how long they're valid (I believe Class III is 3 years, but I'll have to check up on that).

Eagle 1

For those interested, the encampment website has been updated today. The process to register for encampment also seems easier than ever before. Most if it is online now, and I can already see who has signed up to go this year.