Main Menu

Windows 98 Computer Help.

Started by Hoorah, December 20, 2009, 01:48:14 AM

Hoorah

vmstan

Quote from: C/SrA Lunsford on February 15, 2010, 06:10:19 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2010, 04:44:59 PM
Quote from: C/SrA Lunsford on February 15, 2010, 04:21:11 PM
I'm sorry, but Windows 98? Why did someone give you a Windows 98 computer? We are currently on OS Windows 7. Time to sell that computer and get a new(er) one.

Who's "we"?

While I don't have any 98 machines, I have several Win2k machines, and a number of XP notebooks.  Vista is an abomination before the Lord, and Windows 7 has few, if any, compelling features to justify the cost - the graphical nonsense is disabled the first hour any tech professional has the machine, and that's about all that's "different".  MS is still selling plenty of XP in the netbook market.

In fact, there really hasn't been a significant change in Windows in a decade, and not much improvement in hardware, beyond multi-cores
in at least 5 years.

Just because Big Box Mart decides to ask for more money, doesn't mean you need to spend it.
We as in a Computer Community. That is what I meant.

I did not mean to come off rude, if I did, but Windows 98 was 12 years ago. CAP has update their software (if any) to at least Windows XP.

But congrats for getting a Computer.

I wouldn't worry about coming off as rude Cadet, it was Eclipse that was being rude.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

raivo

The most compelling reason not to use '98 is that it's not NT-based, as everything after it (except for the dreaded Windows ME) is. That, and the fact that it's been officially discontinued from MS support, meaning no more security updates. Just about anything (other than WinME) would be better...

Sorry I can't be of more help, C/Williams, but honestly (and I'm not just playing the raving Linux zealot here) I think the best thing performance and security-wise would be to get Ubuntu so you can have an up-to-date operating system. Linux tends to perform better on older hardware, Ubuntu is designed to be user-friendly, and you can get free software that's still actively maintained rather than searching for older versions of Office et al.

I would very strongly discourage anyone from running an OS as old as Windows 98, especially on a machine that's going to be connected to the Internet. There are a lot of worms that scan IP ranges looking for vulnerable hosts to infect, running '98 is really asking for trouble.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

vmstan

I agree. I wouldn't advocate using anything pre-Windows 2000. Ubuntu would be the way to go.

Cadet, if you need help obtaining a copy please message me and I can send you a disk.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Hoorah

Quote from: Marshalus on February 15, 2010, 08:58:46 PM
I agree. I wouldn't advocate using anything pre-Windows 2000. Ubuntu would be the way to go, if you need help obtaining a copy please message me and I can send you a disk.
What is Ubuntu? Yes I would want a copy.

Eclipse

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 15, 2010, 09:00:05 PM
I agree. I wouldn't advocate using anything pre-Windows 2000. Ubuntu would be the way to go, if you need help obtaining a copy please message me and I can send you a disk.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Its a distribution of Linux, and currently considered one of the more user-friendly, Windows-like distros.  You can download an .ISO image and burn a "Live CD" from the above site.  It will give you the option of either running the OS from boot CD or installing it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2010, 09:19:34 PM

Its a distribution of Linux, and currently considered one of the more user-friendly, Windows-like distros.  You can download and .ISO image and burn a "Live CD" from the above site.  It will give you the option of either running the OS from boot CD or installing it.
Can you mail me the disk?

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 15, 2010, 09:21:29 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2010, 09:19:34 PM

Its a distribution of Linux, and currently considered one of the more user-friendly, Windows-like distros.  You can download and .ISO image and burn a "Live CD" from the above site.  It will give you the option of either running the OS from boot CD or installing it.
Can you mail me the disk?

The problem is... is your computer compatible? I believe there are software requirements.

Wright Brothers #13915

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

C/MSgt Lunsford

Wright Brothers #13915

Hoorah

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 15, 2010, 09:52:11 PM
What I don't get it.
What he means, PM Marshalus because he doesn't have the disk. Marshalus has a disk, and offered to send you a copy.

Wright Brothers #13915

raivo

You kids and your user-friendly Linux distributions.

When I was your age, I had to boot into DOS from a floppy, manually edit my partition table, then spend all night downloading installation packages over my 56K modem!

(Yes, I actually did that. Oh, and I screwed up the partition table on the family computer. That went over really well.)

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

billford1

Push the reset button. Get a MAC BOOK PRO.

davidsinn

Quote from: billford1 on February 15, 2010, 11:44:14 PM

I believe he's looking for a low cost option not a gold plated one. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: billford1 on February 15, 2010, 11:44:14 PM
Couldn't agree more... but like Cpt. Sinn said,
Quote from: davidsinn on February 15, 2010, 11:58:22 PMI believe he's looking for a low cost option not a gold plated one. ;D

Wright Brothers #13915

helper

Another source for obtaining a current distribution of Linux is from a national chain bookstore. They usually carry Linux magazines and often include a CD. Typically the magazine will also have initial user information.
Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)