Started by FARRIER, January 03, 2010, 05:16:16 AM

FARRIER

Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Senior

Use the ISR platform to take down the integrated systems then allow
more conventional bomb droppers to follow in a war, just a thought. ;) 

JoeTomasone

For a second there, I really wanted to know why a new bomber would be focusing on this:

>:D

Senior

Joe T.  You are funny!!!!!!!!!!! LOL, ;D :D

CadetProgramGuy

That was my first thought as well......Now I understand it is Intelligence, Surveillance, Recon

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on January 08, 2010, 05:18:32 AM
That was my first thought as well......Now I understand it is Intelligence, Surveillance, Recon

Which doesn't really make it a Bomber, eh?

PHall

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on January 08, 2010, 01:18:54 PM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on January 08, 2010, 05:18:32 AM

Which doesn't really make it a Bomber, eh?

If it still has a weapons bay, then it's still a bomber.

The B-52 can or has done all of those missions, and it's still a "Bomber".

Flying Pig

They used the B-52 for damage assessment flights after Katrina.

SarDragon

And the Navy A-5, designed to drop bombs, was ultimately used exclusively for what we are now calling ISR.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Senior

I see this as a revision in design.  Scale back the size from a B-2, but large enough to hold enough fuel to be intercontinental. Large enough to carry smart bombs(to blow targets up, to carry loitering
smarter stay behind hunter/killer packages, and to carry weapons that take down electronic networks and electronic infrastructure).
Right now the B-2 carries the J-DAM that can target 16 independent
targets simultaneously.  I assume a weapons bay could evently carry
directed energy weapons (microwave? or lasers?) the article alludes to this type of weapon in the future.  Just a new way to still kill the
bag guy.  No one ever really wins in war.

SarDragon

Quote from: Senior on January 10, 2010, 10:56:09 PM
I see this as a revision in design.  Scale back the size from a B-2, but large enough to hold enough fuel to be intercontinental. Large enough to carry smart bombs(to blow targets up, to carry loitering
smarter stay behind hunter/killer packages, and to carry weapons that take down electronic networks and electronic infrastructure).
Right now the B-2 carries the J-DAM that can target 16 independent targets simultaneously.  I assume a weapons bay could evently carry
directed energy weapons (microwave? or lasers?) the article alludes to this type of weapon in the future.  Just a new way to still kill the

Oh, really? When did it acquire that capacity? That's pretty impressive for a modified gravity bomb. More here and here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on January 11, 2010, 12:33:09 AM
Quote from: Senior on January 10, 2010, 10:56:09 PM
Right now the B-2 carries the J-DAM that can target 16 independent targets simultaneously.  I assume a weapons bay could evently carry

Oh, really? When did it acquire that capacity? That's pretty impressive for a modified gravity bomb. More here and here.

16 bombs, 16 seperate targets, no problem.  Being precision guided weapons it's pretty much 1 bomb per target.
Unless the target is so big that a single 2000 poumb won't do the job.

SarDragon

But that's not how he stated it. He made it sound more like a MIRV - one munition with 16 explosive sub-units.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Senior

PHall thanks for interpreting my statement about the J-DAM.
One bomb per target.  A 2000lb bomb will really mess up your day. :'(