The Coolest AE Thing I've Seen In A Long Time

Started by CAP428, April 11, 2007, 04:42:46 AM

CAP428

Tired of these types of AE projects?

Would You Rather Be Doing Stuff Like This??

I just got my issue of Volunteer magazine and read the article about MOWG's Near Space Program.  For those who haven't seen it yet, it's an AE program that is all about real stuff for a change.  Instead of taping paper rockets together, they are putting together real missions into Near Space, which is the "threshold" between the Earth's atmosphere and outer space.

They launch balloon "satellites" that reach up to 100,000 ft and above!  The satellites carry amateur radio equipment, cameras, and other experimental equipment to relay pictures and information back to the ground.

MOWG has been doing it for about 3 years.  I wish I had heard about it sooner!  This sounds really cool and I'm going to look into what it takes to get a program started in my wing.

So next time you're planning AE activities, perhaps you could be convinced to forgo the 33rd review of model rocketry and instead have members really participate in space exploration by sending equipment into near space.  The perfect opportunity to learn more about engineering, science, and aerospace through real research.  By the way, it gives hands-on experience too.  The payload compartments you build yourself.

For those who are interested, check out

www.capnspace.org

sardak

For technical information and links to more high-altitude balloon groups (may be one close by), see

Edge of Space Sciences at

http://www.eoss.org

Mike

SarDragon

That's great if you have the airspace. Look at an LA sectional, and LA & SD TCAs to see why that sort of project is a little impractical for our part of the world.

This is not to say that it isn't a kool project.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DrDave

CAPnSpace is an incredible AE program.  I've assisted in three launch/recoveries and they are a blast!

As noted, it's real hands-on experience as cadets/squadrons plan their payload with weight limitations, mission parameters and goals, trajectory, winds aloft, calculate where it will land, etc.  The photos taken are awesome!  Looks like NASA photos but taken by CAP!

And it gets even better -- an ELT is attached and the recovery becomes a SAR exercise.  Depending on the time of year and weather conditions, we can launch on one side of the state and recover it on the other -- i.e. more than one squadron can get involved.

As for LA/SD airspace, what's the airspace like if you drive an hour or two east?  Are there any CAWG squadrons not on the coast?

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Major Lord

This is great! If any CAP units are seriously planning such an adventure, I would donate an APRS ( Automatic position reporting system) transmitter that I manufacture ( www.byonics.com/microtrak300) that has been used in a number of balloon and rocket launches. One more alka-fuji rocket experiment and I think our cadets wil burst into spontaneous human combustion!

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Pylon

Quote from: CaptLord on April 11, 2007, 02:16:36 PM
One more alka-fuji rocket experiment and I think our cadets wil burst into spontaneous human combustion!

Those have got to be one of the worst hands-on AE activities ever.   ::) :P

Almost as degradingly childish as Cappy the CAP bird. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major Lord

That and paper airplane "labs"!  I have been trying to figure out a way to make a remotely detonated Mentos/Diet Coke rocket. This should be okay for cadets, because like evil experiments with MRE heaters, there is some chance of accidental death.....

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

CAP428

Quote from: Pylon on April 11, 2007, 02:32:48 PM
Almost as degradingly childish as Cappy the CAP bird. 

<sarcasm>What?!  Who doesn't like Cappy??!!!</sarcasm>

Seriously, though.  I've seen way too many "cut and paste and tape it together" AE projects to do another one.  By new general rule:  If it involves cutting out a piece of paper as the main part of the project, it's not worth it.  :)

But for those of you looking for cool AE ideas, this Near Space stuff is pretty neat.

Another idea:

a) Model Rocketry...with a twist.
     Rather than buying model rockets with the motors and everything already prepared, try building your own rocket that runs on rocket fuel developed yourself.
     This may sound dangerous....but it's not really, because you can make rocket fuel out of candy!  A Snickers bar can bring a gallon of water to almost its boiling point.  Go to http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/600152d7d441b010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

RogueLeader

Quote from: CaptLord on April 11, 2007, 03:20:15 PM
I have been trying to figure out a way to make a remotely detonated Mentos/Diet Coke rocket. This should be okay for cadets,

If you are trying to get the bottle to fly, good luck, and if you do make it, lte me know.
If trying to get pop to fly, I know of a couple ways.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Lord

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 11, 2007, 06:26:15 PM
I have been trying to figure out a way to make a remotely detonated Mentos/Diet Coke rocket. This should be okay for cadets,

If you are trying to get the bottle to fly, good luck, and if you do make it, lte me know.

I don't think trying to make the Diet Coke bottle fly will work. I was thinking of a new rocket case with some low-weight method of delaying the Mentos immersion in the coke. Perhaps a desolvable coating... The energy seems to be significantly higher than baking soda and vinegar formulas. I have no idea what the chemistry is... Anybody out there have a gas chromatograph and want to analyze a Mentos for me?

Capt. Lord

RogueLeader

Quote from: CaptLord on April 11, 2007, 07:14:26 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 11, 2007, 06:26:15 PM

I don't think trying to make the Diet Coke bottle fly will work. I was thinking of a new rocket case with some low-weight method of delaying the Mentos immersion in the coke. Perhaps a desolvable coating... The energy seems to be significantly higher than baking soda and vinegar formulas. I have no idea what the chemistry is... Anybody out there have a gas chromatograph and want to analyze a Mentos for me?

Capt. Lord

Well there are several factors in the fizzing action, 1st, there has to be carbonation,2nd caffine and one of the acid in the Diet Coke- don't remember which it was.  the last thing is nucliation from the mentos.  nucliation is where the Co2 is attracted to the teeny tiny rough spots on the Mentos, and forms a bouble.  Because of all the boubles trying to form all at once, it shoots up pretty high. 

As for creating a slower disolving coating, i don't think there is any practical way to do that, without causing all the power fizzeling out.  I think the best bet would to be creating a delayed entry device that would drop it in when you are a safe distance away.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Previous post came from a MythBusters Episode.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 11, 2007, 07:34:19 PMWell there are several factors in the fizzing action, 1st, there has to be carbonation,2nd caffine and one of the acid in the Diet Coke- don't remember which it was. 

Phosphoric acid.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

CadetProgramGuy

For knowledge, Iowa Wing did this a few years ago in conjunction with Iowa State HABIT team.

(If you look close at the MOWG Near Space pictures you will see IAWG Shoulder patches on teh BDU's)

This is an outstanding AE Project that we are wanting to restart (we fizzled out on them).  We actually put an ELT-Trainer on the package.

We launched early morning, set a cut-down for 20,000 feet due to winds (it didn't happen) was sent up to 77,900 ft before descending. Downrange about 200 miles, launching in Ames, Iowa ending up in Olin, Ia (population 3).

Due to the Cut-down failure, and since this was running with a SAREX, we used the opportunity to use aircrews and ground teams to locate the package.

Once I find the pics I will post a linky so you can all see.

CPG

CadetProgramGuy

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: CaptLord on April 11, 2007, 02:16:36 PM
This is great! If any CAP units are seriously planning such an adventure, I would donate an APRS ( Automatic position reporting system) transmitter that I manufacture ( www.byonics.com/microtrak300) that has been used in a number of balloon and rocket launches. One more alka-fuji rocket experiment and I think our cadets wil burst into spontaneous human combustion!

Capt. Lord

Offer still on the table?  I have been asked to re-start the Iowa Near Space Program, and while we will start working  with the Iowa State HABIT Team, I wuold like to eventually go on our own.

They have the manpower and resources to get us started.

Would you recommend an APRS program to use as well.  PM me if you need specifics.

JM

Major Lord

JM,

I donated one to the CAPnSpace program, but I will donate one to your group as well.

I will PM you.

Capt. Lord